Meoli: What are the Orioles' top hitting prospects working on at Norfolk as they wait for a big league opportunity?

Tony-OH

3 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

And, if he's only at DH, he will have no defensive contribution at all.

Sure, but a DH hitting 3 homers in a week seems like it would be more valuable than whatever Phillips has done on both sides of the ball in the same week.   I haven't seen Phillips do anything on defense that an average defensive OF couldn't have done.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Sure, but a DH hitting 3 homers in a week seems like it would be more valuable than whatever Phillips has done on both sides of the ball in the same week.   I haven't seen Phillips do anything on defense that an average defensive OF couldn't have done.

I understand, but average and replacement value used in WAR are two different things.  Average > Replacement Value.  Having said that, I agree that the average person would think that Mancini's contribution has been greater.

Article: Here is what players are working on

a couple posters on this board: The only reason they're all down there is service time! There is never any other reason to keep a player in Triple-A unless they're a prospect I've never heard of before 

3 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Article: Here is what players are working on

a couple posters on this board: The only reason they're all down there is service time! There is never any other reason to keep a player in Triple-A unless they're a prospect I've never heard of before 

3.... 2...... 1..... Corn time!

6 hours ago, Baltimorecuse said:

I think it's easier to pick five numbers and the power ball, than to figure out what Elias is doing.  

Elias is marching to his own drummer.  I don't argue with success although I thought bringing in Philips was almost an insult.

No …what he is doing is very simple. He’s playing the years of control game.

3 hours ago, Fiver6565 said:

This is where advanced stats occasionally lose me. What in the world has Phillips done to match Mancini’s three HR including a grand slam?  Caught a couple fly balls that he ran too real fast?  

I liked the Mancini trade. But the idea that he and Phillips have had equal value since seems ludicrous to me. Neither of them have had off the charts value but surely no one is taking Phillips over Mancini. 

First of all, by rWAR Mancini has 0.2 and Phillips 0.1 with their new teams.  For all we know, that could be rounding off 0.24 and 0.05, so Mancini could be almost five times as valuable, within the error ranges of this microscopic sampling of data. 

Nobody uses WAR to compare the contributions of two players who've combined for 30 plate appearances.  It's like trying to read Moby Dick through a really nice set of binoculars.

• Upvote 1

With norfolk in town this week I wanted to go and catch a few games, I thought they were here next week...until last night and today was a day game but I think im going tomorrow and must go saturday to see DL Hall pitch, but I want to see these hitters and how they look!

[1]  First of all, Mancini was NOT traded for Phillips.  Phillips was not involved in any trade, he was basically DFA and then withdrawn and exchanged to some money with the O's.  He can be let go without much of a loss.

[2]   It is a long season, and players, especially outfielders wear down. Phillips is fairly fresh and can take (eat?)  innings and play good defensive outfield with a strong arm.  He has a low BA, but a respectible 0.250 or so at Camden Yards- which is strange because that doesn't show up against other lower division clubs.  He is also a bubblely positive personality, that might fill the minor contribution to moral that Mancini made there AND he is veteran with playoff experience.  For my two cents I would have brought up Stowers or Cowers.  Maybe the coaches (and the scout who are watching them) know of some holes in their ability to recognize or hit certain pitches and they need more time to work on that, rather then coming up and floudering.  Not the sort of thing you advertise.

[3]   I don't understand what posters are talking about when they say that the O's are not bringing rookies up because of "service time".  I think that is false now.   Looking up MLB service time provides the following:   "

Each Major League regular season consists of 187 days (typically 183 days prior to 2018), and each day spent on the active roster or injured list earns a player one day of service time.All players with at least three (but less than six) years of Major League service time become eligible for salary arbitration, through which they can earn substantial raises relative to the Major League minimum salary..............A player is deemed to have reached "one year" of Major League service upon accruing 172 days in a given year. Upon reaching six years of Major League service, a player becomes eligible for free agency at the end of that season (unless he has already signed a contract extension that covers one or more of his free-agent seasons)..................... Additionally, Major League Baseball each year identifies the group of players that ended the prior season with between two and three years of Major League service and at least 86 days of Major League service in that season and designates the top 22 percent -- in terms of service time -- as arbitration eligible. Those in the top 22 percent -- "Super Two" players -- are also eligible for salary arbitration despite having less than three years of Major League service. The 2022-26 collective bargaining agreement established a $50 million bonus pool for pre-arbitration players.

There is something about being voted in the top 2 of rookie of the year, that shouldn't pertain.  Right now if we bring up a player, they will NOT get enough game time to accur a year of service.

53 minutes ago, 2001OriolesFan said:

[3]   I don't understand what posters are talking about when they say that the O's are not bringing rookies up because of "service time".  I think that is false now.   Looking up MLB service time provides the following:   "

There is something about being voted in the top 2 of rookie of the year, that shouldn't pertain.  Right now if we bring up a player, they will NOT get enough game time to accur a year of service.

The answer is right in your post. They're gaming service time to make sure their players are eligible next year for rookie of the year.

They're calculating that 2-3 fewer weeks of some of Henderson, Stowers, Westburg and Hall this year is worth less than the opportunity to get an extra draft pick in 2024.