2023 Rotation

Bahama O's Fan

17 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Elias probably had many reasons we are not privy to.  If we went by your argument “he produced exactly what the stats said was most likely” ., well the stats said we were likely not going to be producing or winning many games this year with this motley bunch too .. not always what happens.  

.  I will trust that ME had his reasons.  

Well they expected to be competing for the 1st pick again. But, whatever the proof is in the result. Even the media has criticized for calling up Hall last week and giving a game away. I heard it on the radio so please don’t expect a link.

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You don’t need to release anyone for him to get substantial at bats.  You just need to sit players, which they are doing anyway.

How … someone needs to be sent down or released to create a roster spot. As I mentioned, Phillips would have to be DFA’d to clear the spot causing a $500,000 loss. He would be admitting to have made a mistake over just bringing Stowers up when they cleared room at the deadline. 

Nevin is backing up at 3B and 1B. Can Stowers do that? I’m not informed. Plus as my previous posts he’s batting over .300 since the break despite sitting most of the time. And people who were calling for a McKenna demotion aren’t anymore.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

How … someone needs to be sent down or released to create a roster spot. As I mentioned, Phillips would have to be DFA’d to clear the spot causing a $500,000 loss. He would be admitting to have made a mistake over just bringing Stowers up when they cleared room at the deadline. 

Nevin is backing up at 3B and 1B. Can Stowers do that? I’m not informed. Plus as my previous posts he’s batting over .300 since the break despite sitting most of the time. And people who were calling for a McKenna demotion aren’t anymore.

There are enough at bats to do a rotation of players.  

Watched a bit of Nick Lodolo of the Reds today, 24 yo in his first year.  Very impressive.  Probably what we hope Cade Povich becomes one day.

The Reds have very little at the ML level besides Hunter Greene and Lodolo and some prospects on the way.  Was just thinking if we could match up with them in a 3 for 1 type of deal that might entice them.

Some possible offers.

1. Kremer, Westburg, Stowers

2. Hall, Stowers, Norby (I would try to not include Hall)

3. Bradish, Cowser, Mayo

Lots of risk trading for a pitcher but Lodolo was a #7 overall pick with impressive minor league numbers, big kid, smooth mechanics, with strikeout stuff.

You have to give up something to get something.  Any of these packages enough?  Too much?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Where do you see Voth in 2023?

I think Voth, Kremer, and Bradish all are in next years rotation. I’m not 100% sure what happens to Watkins. As for Lyles it will depend what they are willing to pay in an upgrade. Lyles option is for $11 million but the opt out is at $1 million. So the difference is only $10 million.

I think the Orioles can bring Means back slowly without urgency and let it play out.

Edited by Roll Tide

7 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Nevin has been expendable his entire Orioles tenure and I'd argue the same for Phillips, but he doesn't have any options plus Elias just traded for him. 

I’m not saying your wrong but don’t think Elias dumps Phillips. His acquisition added $600,000 in payroll and releasing him would be a clear admission of a mistake. As for Nevin, as I mentioned he’s hitting well since the break and really is hitting well considering he extreme part time role.

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Watched a bit of Nick Lodolo of the Reds today, 24 yo in his first year.  Very impressive.  Probably what we hope Cade Povich becomes one day.

The Reds have very little at the ML level besides Hunter Greene and Lodolo and some prospects on the way.  Was just thinking if we could match up with them in a 3 for 1 type of deal that might entice them.

Some possible offers.

1. Kremer, Westburg, Stowers

2. Hall, Stowers, Norby (I would try to not include Hall)

3. Bradish, Cowser, Mayo

Lots of risk trading for a pitcher but Lodolo was a #7 overall pick with impressive minor league numbers, big kid, smooth mechanics, with strikeout stuff.

You have to give up something to get something.  Any of these packages enough?  Too much?

I’d give them #2 ….. Hall is a delayed piece for Lodolo. Stowers gives them immediate gratification, and Norby is a fine throw in. 

There could be a crowd with Hall, Grayson Rodriguez, Kyle Bradish, Dean Kremer, Jordan Lyles if the Orioles pick up his option and don’t trade him, eventually John Means, perhaps a veteran signed as a free agent or obtained in a deal, since Elias vows to be busy over the winter. Bruce Zimmermann and Mike Baumann are hoping to return from Norfolk.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/gunnar-henderson-preparing-to-make-some-starts-at-first-base

More Roch …same article 

Spenser Watkins, who starts today against the Cubs, has done a nice job since returning from the injured list, but he might be back on the free agent market after the season. That’s the price of improving the talent and depth in the organization.