Kyle Stowers called up

RVAOsFan

1 hour ago, interloper said:

It took Adley a month to start hitting. I'm just thrilled Stowers is here. What's even funnier is the people who think Gunnar is going to come right up and carry this team into the postseason. The odds that Gunnar looks offensively competent before the end of September are extremely low. I'll be thrilled when they call him up and anything cool he does will be exciting, but it's a move looking towards next year more than it is this year. 

At least - that should absolutely be our expectation. 

I think “extremely low” is an exaggeration.  There are plenty of rookies who get off to good starts.   Did Terrin Vavra look “offensively competent” his first week on the job?   I’d say yes.   It just isn’t guaranteed.  The other factor here is, if he’s taking at bats that otherwise would go to Odor, he doesn’t need to be Rogers Hornsby to be an upgrade.   I’d certainly bet on Henderson topping a .267 OBP this year.

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think “extremely low” is an exaggeration.  There are plenty of rookies who get off to good starts.   Did Terrin Vavra look “offensively competent” his first week on the job?   I’d say yes.   It just isn’t guaranteed.  The other factor here is, if he’s taking at bats that otherwise would go to Odor, he doesn’t need to be Rogers Hornsby to be an upgrade.   I’d certainly bet on Henderson topping a .267 OBP this year.

I loved what Vavra did, but it's such a small sample that you can absolutely chalk it up to luck. I don't, necessarily, to be clear. But you could. Which is why I don't like using Vavra as a comparison. 

We agree re: Gunnar being an upgrade basically no matter what he does. Which is great! I just don't expect him to blow our socks off just yet. 

Edited by interloper

19 hours ago, interloper said:

I loved what Vavra did, but it's such a small sample that you can absolutely chalk it up to luck. I don't, necessarily, to be clear. But you could. Which is why I don't like using Vavra as a comparison. 

We agree re: Gunnar being an upgrade basically no matter what he does. Which is great! I just don't expect him to blow our socks off just yet. 

To be clear, I don’t either.  

We've seen Adley and Stowers both struggle at first when they were called up. Now is Stowers shrugging that off as he adjusts to MLB pitching? I hope so. It's one of the reasons why I think we should bring up Gunnar and anyone else that you might want to play a significant role next season. Get their feet wet now and let them start looking at MLB pitching. Start the adjustment phase.

15 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

Who is a ML comp for Stowers?

My crude guess last year was a Ryan Braun type but maybe thats way too generous?

Someone in the Miguel Sano, Chris Carter, Steven Souza, Mark Reynolds, Chris Davis, Mark Bellhorn, Ian Happ, Patrick Wisdom, Kyle Schwarber, Mike Zunino continuum.

Ryan Braun hit .296 and never struck out 130 times in a season.  Stowers struck out 171 times between A+ and AAA last year. I'll be quite surprised if Stowers ever hits .296 in a single season, much less his career.

Edited by DrungoHazewood

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Someone in the Miguel Sano, Chris Carter, Steven Souza, Mark Reynolds, Chris Davis, Mark Bellhorn, Ian Happ, Patrick Wisdon, Kyle Schwarber, Mike Zunino continuum.

Ryan Braun hit .296 and never struck out 130 times in a season.  Stowers struck out 171 times between A+ and AAA last year. I'll be quite surprised if Stowers ever hits .296 in a single season, much less his career.

Luke Scott is a comp that has been thrown around by many on here and I think that's a pretty strong one.