Henderson coming up this week?

Roll Tide

The fact that Henderson is still not up and someone like Nevin sent down is pure malpractice by this FO. No one is saying he would SOLVE the offensive problems but he certainly wouldn't hurt at this point. I see no logical reasons why he's not up yet. What else does he have to do? He'd be an instant upgrade over Nevin and possibly Odor.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

The fact that Henderson is still not up and someone like Nevin sent down is pure malpractice by this FO. No one is saying he would SOLVE the offensive problems but he certainly wouldn't hurt at this point. I see no logical reasons why he's not up yet. What else does he have to do? He'd be an instant upgrade over Nevin and possibly Odor.

It's absurd.  There is zero rationale/logic behind it. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

O's just came out, no Henderson. Urias batting 4th playing 3rd.

LOL.  Cause heaven forbid they call up their best prospect, who has been mashing at AAA all year, when their offense is down and they're in a pennant race.

Mind boggling. 

40 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

You're comparing not bringing up a 21 year old kid with a month to go in the season, to not pitching our all-star closer having an almost historic year in an elimination game?  That's laughable.  Gunnar is not some cure-all to the current offensive woes.  I want to see him too but sorry, acting like this is some completely indefensible decision is over the top.

It's not as awful as not pitching Britton, sure.  But it's still indefensible.  Just because Buck failed to use Britton doesn't make this head scratcher more sensible.

11 minutes ago, PHRESH said:

They have until tomorrow to call him up, right?  

Couldn't be also be added after Sept 1 in the event of an injury? Or is that incorrect? 

i think he just has to be added to the 40 man to be available for postseason

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, PHRESH said:

They have until tomorrow to call him up, right?  

Couldn't be also be added after Sept 1 in the event of an injury? Or is that incorrect? 

He can be added after Sept 1, he just wouldn't be eligible for the playoff roster. Many players come up after Sept 1 when rosters expand. 

26 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Its never been more than pure speculation that he was coming up.  Anyone disappointed has only themselves to blame, Elias has all but told us this wasn't happening.  Not literally mind you, but he certainly hasn't indicated to the contrary.

I'm ready to root for the team that's on the field and stop worrying about who's NOT here.

We're not allowed to be disappointed if a GM makes decisions that we're unhappy with?

I know I've been complaining about the complaining about the Gunnar Henderson situation, but it's a bit perplexing.  

I get it if they want to keep him under 130 at bats, that's fine, so wait a day or two after the imaginary date, whathaveyou, etc.  That was last week.

It doesn't seem like they're going to call him up now, yesterday would have been the perfect day to do it.  If they call him up between now and 9/1, well, I'm not sure what the strategy of waiting until the last minute is but whatever, at least he'd be up.

But it's looking like you guys might have to settle in for another month of Odor/Nevin.  I saw somewhere on here that Elias said that the callups would be one pitcher and one hitter, but that doesn't automatically mean the hitter is Henderson.  

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I know I've been complaining about the complaining about the Gunnar Henderson situation, but it's a bit perplexing.  

I get it if they want to keep him under 130 at bats, that's fine, so wait a day or two after the imaginary date, whathaveyou, etc.  That was last week.

It doesn't seem like they're going to call him up now, yesterday would have been the perfect day to do it.  If they call him up between now and 9/1, well, I'm not sure what the strategy of waiting until the last minute is but whatever, at least he'd be up.

But it's looking like you guys might have to settle in for another month of Odor/Nevin.  I saw somewhere on here that Elias said that the callups would be one pitcher and one hitter, but that doesn't automatically mean the hitter is Henderson.  

The funny thing about Nevin is... he NEVER plays.  There is literally no reason for him to be on the roster now, let alone for the bulk of the season. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, deward said:

We're not allowed to be disappointed if a GM makes decisions that we're unhappy with?

Comparing it to one of the worst in-game tactical decisions any of us has ever seen is a little more than 'we're unhappy with'.  That was my point.  Additionally I just feel like the topic is old.  He'll be here when he gets here, time to move on and root for what has been a very fun team to watch instead of constantly moaning and groaning about Gunnar not being here.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

The funny thing about Nevin is... he NEVER plays.  There is literally no reason for him to be on the roster now, let alone for the bulk of the season. 

That's true.  He last played August 21st which looks like he came in the 9th as a defensive replacement if I'm reading this correctly.  He only played in August 6 times overall.  I don't understand why he's here if he's not playing.  

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think I saw somewhere that league rules mandate that is HAS to be one pitcher and one hitter, but I could be wrong about that.  Like there are still restrictions on how many of the then-28 man roster can be pitchers.

• Upvote 1