Mike Trout to the Orioles?

vab

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

For the record I'm not advocating trading for Trout and don't think the O's are even considering it.

But the type of package being bantered about is not, IMO, the type of package that the Angels would be coveting.

We can keep the MLB pieces and it'd still be a great package for them.  The Soto package included a better prospect in Abrams, but Soto has 2 arb years left and he's 23.  Trout is 31, has a very, very long market-rate contract in front of him, and has missed significant time due to injury over the past 2 years.  And the Padres got another MLB piece for their package (Josh Bell.)

If the Angels don't at least look at that package, then they aren't serious about trading him.

Edited by Hallas
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's a OH classic trade proposal there.

Who wouldn't trade the best player of his generation for a couple of pretty good regulars and some prospects headlined by #60 overall in MLB?

Also, better pull this off now before the game developers fix the bug that equates 16 0.5 win players with one eight win player.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Who wouldn't trade the best player of his generation for a couple of pretty good regulars and some prospects headlined by #60 overall in MLB?

Also, better pull this off now before the game developers fix the bug that equates 16 0.5 win players with one eight win player.

The best  player of his generation is entering his 30s, with a degenerative back condition, and 400 million owed to him.

Think that might be part of the equation?

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Sure, it might not be ideal, but I'd rather have two young established major leaguers with solid track records than some lottery tickets.

Again, it's very, very possible those two are more valuable than Trout going forward, and they'll cost about 1/10th as much.

1) That's why the Angels aren't going to be trading Trout for lottery tickets, they'll be trying to trade him for players like Gunnar Henderson and Grayson Rodriguez.  Players who, if healthy, will give them six years of good-to-great performance, low cost, with fairly low risk.

2) I mean I guess anything is possible, but Cedric Mullins is 27 and his entire career is less valuable than five of Mike Trout's individual seasons. And Austin Hays' entire career would be Mike Trout's 9th-best season.

I understand the risk and expense of Mike Trout and his contract.  But nobody is going to shop him around looking for mid-career 2-3 win players.  They're going to be looking for multiple top prospects.

11 minutes ago, Pickles said:

The best  player of his generation is entering his 30s, with a degenerative back condition, and 400 million owed to him.

Think that might be part of the equation?

I'm sure it's part of the equation.

But the bigger part is that other teams will offer better packages than Hays, Mullins, Hall and some other stuff. And the Orioles are not a team that needs to take on a Miguel Cabrera type contract.  

And, if I were the Orioles I wouldn't offer that deal.  I don't know that I'd offer any deal that the Angels were likely to accept. The key to sustainable Orioles success is a pipeline of top prospects to continuously refresh the MLB roster with cheap talent.  It's not to trade six or seven players for 32-year-old stars on $400M contracts.

Frank was an “old 30” … different risks but Mike is older 31 and not in adequate health to perform at his previous level and the contract is set up to kill. 

Elias by history if he trades for a veteran high paid star it has usually been a TOR .. Verlander for example. 

TOR veteran pitcher is what they might go get if available but otherwise improve the cast .. the Odors Chirinos Head of the current team and bring on Gunnar, Grayson, Means return , Etc 

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

1) That's why the Angels aren't going to be trading Trout for lottery tickets, they'll be trying to trade him for players like Gunnar Henderson and Grayson Rodriguez.  Players who, if healthy, will give them six years of good-to-great performance, low cost, with fairly low risk.

2) I mean I guess anything is possible, but Cedric Mullins is 27 and his entire career is less valuable than five of Mike Trout's individual seasons. And Austin Hays' entire career would be Mike Trout's 9th-best season.

I understand the risk and expense of Mike Trout and his contract.  But nobody is going to shop him around looking for mid-career 2-3 win players.  They're going to be looking for multiple top prospects.

I'm not saying the Angels would want Mullins/Hays for Trout.  I'm saying the Orioles shouldn't do it even if they did.  

Can anyone deny that those two have outperformed Trout significantly over the last three years and done it for about 1/30th the cost?

Can anyone deny that going forward it's very possible that to continue to be the case?

You can "understand the risk" but I don't think you're quantifying it very accurately.

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm sure it's part of the equation.

But the bigger part is that other teams will offer better packages than Hays, Mullins, Hall and some other stuff. And the Orioles are not a team that needs to take on a Miguel Cabrera type contract.  

And, if I were the Orioles I wouldn't offer that deal.  I don't know that I'd offer any deal that the Angels were likely to accept. The key to sustainable Orioles success is a pipeline of top prospects to continuously refresh the MLB roster with cheap talent.  It's not to trade six or seven players for 32-year-old stars on $400M contracts.

Well, this sounds as if you accept my premise.

8 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would be interested if the Angels picked up some of his salary in the last few years of his contract.  If Angels deal Trout they are looking for a team to take his whole contract and give them top prospects.  No thanks.

They'll just trade him to the Yanks or Dodgers.  They'll take on the entire contract and give them back some decent prospects.  Like the Stanton deal.