Mike Trout to the Orioles?

vab

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

They have him signed for like 8 years.  They don’t have to move him.  That doesn’t go away.

It's a market rate contract and the remaining years take him well past his likely all-star years. The years he's signed for will most likely stop providing value to the Angels within the next 3-4 years even if he's 100% healthy.  And any injury will tank his trade value even further.

In general I don't think market rate contracts provide much leverage in trade.  If anything they hurt trade value.  If he were 30 and on Wander Franco's contract I would think differently.

Trout has a full no trade clause (it was in the contract he signed in 2019, but he is a 10/5 guy now, so he would have it either way).

He is from New Jersey so I imagine he would prefer the Mets or Yankees. Mets seem like a good fit, considering how Cohen's purse is bottomless.

2 minutes ago, Hallas said:

It's a market rate contract and the remaining years take him well past his likely all-star years. The years he's signed for will most likely stop providing value to the Angels within the next 3-4 years even if he's 100% healthy.  And any injury will tank his trade value even further.

In general I don't think market rate contracts provide much leverage in trade.  If anything they hurt trade value.  If he were 30 and on Wander Franco's contract I would think differently.

But the Angels don’t have to trade him.  That’s the point you keep missing.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But the Angels don’t have to trade him.  That’s the point you keep missing.

By that logic the Nats didn't have to trade Soto.  After all, they could have gambled that another team would come and pay more this coming offseason or next trade deadline.

Edited by Hallas

11 minutes ago, Hallas said:

By that logic the Nats didn't have to trade Soto.  After all, they could have gambled that another team would come and pay more this coming offseason or next trade deadline.

Which I already said.

But they would have risked losing him for nothing very soon.  Their leverage was there but it was minimal because he’s a FA soon.

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Which I already said.

But they would have risked losing him for nothing very soon.  Their leverage was there but it was minimal because he’s a FA soon.

Trout has the same risk over the next 3 years due to his age and injury risk.  And that's the best case scenario.  If he gets injured again, especially if it's a recurrence of his back issue, he will likely lose almost all of his trade value.

I will say that the perceived risk with Soto is higher, because it feels a lot worse to lose a player like Soto and only get a comp pick back.  It's quite possible that perception mimics reality, and as a result the Angels may have more leverage with Trout than is sensible.  But I think that the actual risk on the Angels side is quite high if they don't trade Trout relatively soon, and easily comparable to the risk that the Nats faced if they did not trade Soto this trade deadline.

I'd probably agree that it might be worth it for the Angels to gamble and see if he can get through 2023 healthy, and then try to trade him.  Or maybe start the season with him, and trade him at the 2023 deadline.  And that does give them some leverage for this coming offseason.  But I would also say that this is the last offseason that they will have that leverage IMO, and that strategy is not without risks.

Edited by Hallas

BaseballTradeValues today is guessing the Surplus or Underwater values of Angels that the Moreno Family probably wants to be non-Angels to ready the franchise for market as:

Trout -37.5mm

Rendon -140mm

Sandoval and Detmers are good young pitchers valued ~+30mm who I'd project to burn most of their really good value seasons before LAA gets back to relevance if Ohtani wants out.     They have Ohtani valued at about +$80mm, but that seems too high for one season, even though he does have a small 2023 salary.

6 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

If they'd do it for, like, Stowers, Westburg, Hall, and a couple of Domincan teenager lottery tickets, while also eating like $10 million per year on his remaining deal, hell freaking yeah I would do it, even with his injury issues. The guy is one of the greatest to ever play the game and would legitimately put butts in seats.

But...they wouldn't, so it's a moot point.

That said, as someone who acquired him on an O's franchise on last year's MLB The Show, I can attest that Mike Trout does indeed look &$#@ing GREAT in orange and black.

FYI….. using character symbols to mask a bad word Is firmly against board rules. Wouldn’t want to see you get infractions or banned. Just say Freakin or fabulous 

Edited by Roll Tide

25 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

BaseballTradeValues today is guessing the Surplus or Underwater values of Angels that the Moreno Family probably wants to be non-Angels to ready the franchise for market as: Trout -37.5mm

Trout has ~~ $297 M over 8 years going forward and he is only underwater about 1 year's salary???????😟

FG says Trout has been worth about 615M in his career so far.

His 2 cheapest years were 2020 (shortened season) and 2021.  In 2021, he got hurt and only played in 36 games...he was still worth about 18M.  

Its astonishing how incredible of a player he has been in his career.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hallas said:

What's the largest cash considerations trade that MLB has approved?  I can't find any examples that exchange more than around 20 million or so, but it's really hard to search for this without any dedicated trade app.

I just meant that the other team would take on all or almost all of the remainder of the contract.  If the Orioles were to even entertain a Trout deal I'd assume they'd want the Angels to pick some of the current tab.