Thursday, August 25: Homestand ends in rubber match vs White Sox

SteveA

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Sometimes you get your dream job and the circumstances turn it into your hell job.  At least Hyde is in Baltimore.  I think that managing a losing team would be literal hell on earth.  I guess Cal Ripken Sr was having so much fun when he got the O's manager job that he decided to have a little drink and go for a little ride.  And on another note, Flanagan had so much fun being GM of the O's and never felt any pressure.

You are having a hard time grasping expectations that create pressure.   Trembley for sure struggled as manager.   Hyde was hired as a guy who could get along with young ballplayers that he would have during a rebuild.   The team was designed to lose.   I do not think Hyde felt anything like the pressures you imagine.  

2 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

You are having a hard time grasping expectations that create pressure.   Trembley for sure struggled as manager.   Hyde was hired as a guy who could get along with young ballplayers that he would have during a rebuild.   The team was designed to lose.   I do not think Hyde felt anything like the pressures you imagine.  

I guess we'll never know.  I know it takes a certain type of manager to keep managing a team that is designed to lose.  Would Earl Weaver have been able to manage the O's for 4 years in a row with no expectations to win but also no talent to win.  I doubt he would have been saying I'm in my dream job collecting fat paychecks.