Time to re-evaluate the Britton trade

Tony-OH

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’d rather bring Jorge Lopez back. Britton when he’s healthy is the superior player, but he’ll still get big money. Meanwhile, we can bring back Lopez for probably 2-3 million after the twins non tender him. 

The only way Britton is getting big money is if he is lights out for the Yankees and is a key part of them winning a WS or something like that.

Otherwise, he is looking at a pillow contract.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea, if they want to move Wells back to the back end, that may be enough.  You still have to rely on him staying healthy though.

This is a fair point. Does he stand a better chance of staying health in the pen? I guess it depends on usage.

I like the fact that you are always pushing to make the club better. It seems like the strategy for success. However, I see BP arms, with the exception of a few elite, (and very expensive) guys, as the baseball equivalent of fungible assets. When they start getting expensive they lose their value. I acknowledge that that belief does bias my view on this subject.

15 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

This is a fair point. Does he stand a better chance of staying health in the pen? I guess it depends on usage.

I like the fact that you are always pushing to make the club better. It seems like the strategy for success. However, I see BP arms, with the exception of a few elite, (and very expensive) guys, as the baseball equivalent of fungible assets. When they start getting expensive they lose their value. I acknowledge that that belief does bias my view on this subject.

They are fungible assets but the ones who are good year in and year out are extremely important.  The Os do not have that and that is something I would target this offseason.

40 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The only way Britton is getting big money is if he is lights out for the Yankees and is a key part of them winning a WS or something like that.

Otherwise, he is looking at a pillow contract.

What is a "pillow contract"?

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Britton was reactivated on Thursday after a successful month-long rehab stint.  

His contract is up at the end of this year.  Any interest in a Britton reunion?   I’d imagine he’ll cost a lot less than the Yankees have been paying him.  He’ll be 34 next year.  

It was a great few seasons with the O's and he's a stand-up, well-spoken guy, but I wouldn't predict that he's going to be worth the contract he probably expects, can stay off the IL most of the season, or dominate with the pitch (mid-90s sinker) that he was once the sole master of, but which is now fairly common. His great closer years were 2014-2016; I find it prudent to remind myself now and then how long ago that really is.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’d rather bring Jorge Lopez back. Britton when he’s healthy is the superior player, but he’ll still get big money. Meanwhile, we can bring back Lopez for probably 2-3 million after the twins non tender him. 

I wonder if Minnesota will non tender Lopez. If so, he’s be great to have back in a multi inning role. I’d have him replace Krehbiel. Also, Britton isn’t getting big money. You could probably sign him for about what Lopez will get.