Sunday August 28: Justin Verlander stands between Orioles and another sweep at Minute Maid Park

SteveA

Why are we batting RM 4th?  He's been hitting like a pitcher for weeks.  If we're going to play him til he figures it out, he needs to be hitting 8th.  He is absolutely MURDERING so many potential rallies being set up by Cedric, Adley, and Tony.  It's brutal.

Edited by Morgan423

3 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Got to tip your hat to maybe the best pitcher of this era… 3 hitters didn’t so much as touch the ball

I would have not for the little league swing Mountcastle took on strike three. I don't tip my cap to a pitcher who throws a pitch so high that only the most embarrassingly undisciplined hitter would swing at the pitch.

Just now, Morgan423 said:

Why are we batting RM 4th?  He's been hitting like a pitcher for weeks.  If we're going to play him til he figures it out, he needs to be hitting 8th.  He is absolutely MURDERING so many potential rallies being set up by Cedric, Aldley, and Tony.  It's brutal.

Weeks? Where have you been it’s been months.

Maybe it won’t go this way but the usual script would be that we peaked right there without scoring against Verlander.   Next few innings he will use 10-12 pitches to get back on track and we will still be flailing away against him with no hits for next 7 innings. 

But Oriole magic .. doesn’t follow scripts .. let’s kick his old butt! 

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Just a totally embarrassing swing by Mountcastle. I'm about done with him as part of the future. He just doesn't have the plate discipline and Hyde is doing no one any favors by batting him 4th.

It’s why I floated the idea of trading him instead of Mancini. RM has horrible plate discipline and he’s not a number four hitter.

Just now, Bemorewins said:

Man, I can only hope & dream that Verlander is our's next year.

Back to this game.... we missed a great opp that will only come around so much against this guy.

As much as I want a #1, I don't want anything to do with the King of Mercenaries on this team. This team has been a well gelled unit and they don't need a guy who cares about himself, Justin, and Verlander. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I would have not for the little league swing Mountcastle took on strike three. I don't tip my cap to a pitcher who throws a pitch so high that only the most embarrassingly undisciplined hitter would swing at the pitch.

Justin probably more than a little aware of that 

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Eh, but Verlander is smart enough to know that about RM. So, I tip my cap.

Just now, Il BuonO said:

It’s why I floated the idea of trading him instead of Mancini. RM has horrible plate discipline and he’s not a number four hitter.

If he's here by 2024 I will be shocked. I think he's a guy Elias will move this offseason. He's the exact opposite hitter the organization is training.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

As much as I want a #1, I don't want anything to do with the King of Mercenaries on this team. This team has been a well gelled unit and they don't need a guy who cares about himself, Justin, and Verlander. 

Based on what? He didn’t want to leave Detroit when they traded him and he signed with the Astros again when he could have signed anywhere.