Sunday August 28: Justin Verlander stands between Orioles and another sweep at Minute Maid Park

SteveA

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

As much as I want a #1, I don't want anything to do with the King of Mercenaries on this team. This team has been a well gelled unit and they don't need a guy who cares about himself, Justin, and Verlander. 

I trust you insider knowledge on the personalities of players way more than mine.

But from a production standpoint there are not many better. I feel like he would be the perfect fit to sit atop our rotation for a few years on a shorter contract. And in the words of Elias watch us "lift off".

Just now, Il BuonO said:

Based on what? He didn’t want to leave Detroit when they traded him and he signed with the Astros again when he could have signed anywhere.

He's a jerk in every sense. He did everything in his power to try and destroy this season due to his own greed. He cares less about the game, fans or anything other than enrichening himself with the most money he can. He's a turd and I don't want to have to root for him.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

As much as I want a #1, I don't want anything to do with the King of Mercenaries on this team. This team has been a well gelled unit and they don't need a guy who cares about himself, Justin, and Verlander. 

Huh? Justin Verlander has played on two MLB teams and he was traded. If he is the King of Mercenaries what does that make Robinson Chirinos? The Emperor-God of Mercenaries?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

He's a jerk in every sense. He did everything in his power to try and destroy this season due to his own greed. He cares less about the game, fans or anything other than enrichening himself with the most money he can. He's a turd and I don't want to have to root for him.

Destroy this season??? He was signed to a contract based on market value. I’m sure the Astros are happy with his production.

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I trust you insider knowledge on the personalities of players way more than mine.

But from a production standpoint there are not many better. I feel like he would be the perfect fit to sit atop our rotation for a few years on a shorter contract. And in the words of Elias watch us "lift off".

I'll be honest, most of my dislike from him comes from his ridiculously selfish comments during the lock out this winter and spring. It has nothing to do with any kind of inside knowledge of his personality.

I know I'm not giving him credit for buying some dinner for his minor league teammates when he makes an unGodly $198,000,000 since 2015. 

Again, people can like him, I'm fine with that, but I will never ever like someone who tried to keep the players not playing because he could afford it. He could have cared less about the players who could not. He could have cared less about the fans. All he cared about how he could get more money and how other elite players could be paid like him.

Verlander pitch counts this year:

100-108 pitches  9 starts
91-99 pitches 9 starts
81-89 pitches 5 starts

The 81 pitch start was his first start of the year.   He had an 82 pitch start where he was knocked out in the 4th.  Every other start has been at least 85 pitches.

He has lasted 6 innings in all but three starts this year:   the two I mention in the previous paragraph, and a start vs the Nats where he just went 5 innings, somehow throwing 107 pitches despite giving up just 2 hits and 3 walks.