Sunday, September 4: Orioles try to sweep the A's before the first big showdown with Toronto

SteveA

7 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Watkins just doesn’t have the stuff to be off with command even slightly.

I don’t think he’s a rotational piece going forward.

This is not really in anybody’s reasonable plan going forward I don’t think.  He doesn’t belong in the rotation and if Tyler Wells not gotten hurt he would not be in it even now. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• What would a Yates/Scherzer package cost? I'm sure the Texans will try and give it until closer to the deadline to regain some ground on the WC race, but they are 8.5 games back right now. 9th in OPS in the AL and 9th in ERA. Nothing really screams that they will go on a run to make to back. The smart move would be to trade expiring pieces.
    • I just ignore those type of responses. FIP is clearly one of the better stats to accurately rate a pitcher.   I like it better than ERA.
    • This is actually a really fascinating question. Stats give you information, but they don’t give you all the information. “intuition” or “gut feeling” is the collection of uncollated data that every experienced manager has. There are always variables that cannot be calculated and the complaint here is that Hyde apparently ignores them. About last night, I would’ve been happy for Burnes to open the inning. Hyde knows how bad the bullpen is, so it is really on him for not delaying as long as possible( IF Burnes said he was done that’s another thing.) My complaint about Hyde has always been that he leaves his starter in too long, doesn’t get a reliever up until the starter is in trouble, and doesn’t pull him until after he’s loaded the bases, and then it’s too late. This was entirely different. 15 pitches an inning is entirely manageable. But to be fair, Hyde doesn’t have a good bullpen buffet from which to choose. I just checked and Austin Voth has .2 WAR in 35 innings and Bryan Baker has negative -.02 WAR in 10 innings, a 5.91 ERA, and he’s given up 11 hits in those ten innings. I don’t understand the judgement in dumping Voth and keeping Baumann and Baker I also don’t understand Mike not moving more quickly to address this need. The price isn’t going down, so he’s either going to grit his teeth, say his prayers and do nothing, or he’s going to have to pay the going price. OR he’s going to find Fuji 2.0, and we will all scream.  
    • Thanks for the info on Sharkey and Lord. Also, you brought this up in the draft discussion, but our 16th rd OF Qrey Lott from 2023 could still be signed. I would think in a “weaker” draft as this year is viewed, and a draft that we traded a pick for Burnes, that we would want to sign him. 
    • Asset management.  The team is doing fine w/o him.  He can be brought up when rosters expand allowing tenant to hold on to Urias.  He will be up the next time there is an injury for a position player.   
    • I’d say both Holliday and Basallo are victims of their own early success and people’s tendency to get over-excited by that kind of precociousness.  Both are having very good seasons at the level they’re at, and are way ahead of schedule for players their age, yet people are disappointed that they aren’t rocketing forward at the same pace of acceleration as last year.   Holliday has a 145 wRC+ in AAA at age 20, and Basallo has a 128 OPS+ in AA at age 19.  If they need a little more time to bake at the level they’re at, that’s absolutely fine.   
    • It used to be with the old ways of voting whoever was first got the start and usually the person who came in second was a reserve and they worked around the needing a representative from every team. I wish they just did that instead of the second round head to head vote.
  • Popular Contributors