Labor Day afternoon: Game 1 of the Orioles biggest doubleheader in decades

SteveA

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

So if you use Perez here going to pitch him in game 2 as well?  Guys throwing in both games ?

This is the issue. The question is whether your chances are better knowing that you are down one in the 9th versus a 0-0 game that you may or may not get the lead. Tough call either way. 

4 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

Lyles puking in the toilet is all the more reason to try and win a game you're trailing by one with their closer unavailable. Tate and Bautista can get four or five outs each. Akin is available. I didn't have a problem letting Hall start the 9th, but you have to have someone warming and pull him once you see him throwing it to the backstop.

Good point. We have no idea what Lyles can do being sick. You don't give up on a 4-3 game. Sorry, I probably would have pitched just about anyone else in the bullpen besides Bautista in the 9th than Hall.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Ugh I don’t even feel like watching the second game. Limp **** offense. 

It was pretty horrible, yeah. And it’s BEEN pretty horrible for awhile. Signs of life from Mountcastle but Hays has been struggling. 

Hays has been good late in the year before, they sure could use him. 

There’s still time.

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You try to win the game at hand first. You don't bring in a rookie who has never pitched in a high leverage situation pitch on a one run game. 

I have no idea whether it affects Hyde’s decisions, but he works for a guy who says he thinks trying to win games this year is less important to him than developing and evaluating talent for future seasons. 

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

This is the issue. The question is whether your chances are better knowing that you are down one in the 9th versus a 0-0 game that you may or may not get the lead. Tough call either way. 

Sure. It’s a risk either way. Was facing 8-9-1.

We may get blown out Game 2. 

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

It was pretty horrible, yeah. And it’s BEEN pretty horrible for awhile. Signs of life from Mountcastle but Hays has been struggling. 

Hays has been good late in the year before, they sure could use him. 

There’s still time.

If Stowers is playing I can’t see how Hays is unless Adley sits. Santander needs to play.