Why is Aguilar on this team?

Chelsea_Phil

8 hours ago, now said:

That case could be made a few times this year, for Mr. Odor. 

What some people tend to forget is the player that would be playing in their place very well may have done the same thing and more in the many, many other chances where they have failed because they are not good players. 

The Orioles can bring up a career minor leaguers and they will have a moment or two. 

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

What some people tend to forget is the player that would be playing in their place very well may have done the same thing and more in the many, many other chances where they have failed because they are not good players. 

The Orioles can bring up a career minor leaguers and they will have a moment or two. 

Yep.  Or further still, playing better players can take games when we needed hero moments and turn them into comfortable wins and take tough losses and put them more in reach.  Odor is like the outfielder who consistently gets bad jumps but makes a hell of a show catching a few a month.

40 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If you throw enough spaghetti against the wall some of it is gonna stick. Even if it is 2 weeks old. 🙃

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Well said!

Does the team seem more lifeless since Aguilar has been on the team? Maybe it's just a coincidence and its the byproduct of a long season, but in my opinion they don't seem like they're having fun like they were in the past few months. I felt like Phillips at least brought a little energy with him.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, brooks1083 said:

Does the team seem more lifeless since Aguilar has been on the team? Maybe it's just a coincidence and its the byproduct of a long season, but in my opinion they don't seem like they're having fun like they were in the past few months. I felt like Phillips at least brought a little energy with him.

So you think Aguilar is some kind of Dugout Downer? They’re definitely having less fun, but that’s more to do with their losing record since that time, with some guys seriously struggling at the plate, watching the Wildcard slot drift away for good. Everyone’s having less fun, fans included.

• Upvote 1

On 9/21/2022 at 7:50 AM, InsideCoroner said:

So you think Aguilar is some kind of Dugout Downer? They’re definitely having less fun, but that’s more to do with their losing record since that time, with some guys seriously struggling at the plate, watching the Wildcard slot drift away for good. Everyone’s having less fun, fans included.

Funny how people blame players for their intangibles or attitude when the team is losing, and they credit others (like Odor) for intangibles and attitude when the team wins. The bottom line is that talent and performance are the most important factors when considering a player's impact. A player being a "winner" or a good clubhouse guy is mostly noise.

That's why I hated all the credit Odor was given when he was starting most of the season. He was just lucky he played with a team surrounded by players much better than him. He's a terrible player overall, and he got way too much playing time on this team.

I know this thread is about Aguilar, but how Hyde and Elias have given unnecessary playing time to mediocre veterans when we have superior younger options already on the roster (Vavra, Stowers) - AND those younger options could benefit from the playing time for the future - really irks me.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

Funny how people blame players for their intangibles or attitude when the team is losing, and they credit others (like Odor) for intangibles and attitude when the team wins. The bottom line is that talent and performance are the most important factors when considering a player's impact. A player being a "winner" or a good clubhouse guy is mostly noise.

That's why I hated all the credit Odor was given when he was starting most of the season. He was just lucky he played with a team surrounded by players much better than him. He's a terrible player overall, and he got way too much playing time on this team.

I know this thread is about Aguilar, but how Hyde and Elias have given unnecessary playing time to mediocre veterans when we have superior younger options already on the roster (Vavra, Stowers) - AND those younger options could benefit from the playing time for the future - really irks me.

I get that. Although if you told me that the Orioles offered Odor a job as a dugout coach next year, I would be perfectly fine with that. I like his enthusiasm and fire, but would like it a lot more if he wasn’t taking up a roster spot.

• Upvote 2

So Aguilar has been on the team all month and he's put up a .205/.222/.273/.495 with 1 home run, 1 BB and 12 K in 46 PAs.

I think this Aguilar move is something we need to pay attention to when it comes to Elias/Sig's ability to judge major league talent to help a team down the stretch.

Everything up until they signed Jesus Aguilar has always been about the future, but starting Aguilar over Stowers against lefties when Stowers has hit lefties his entire minor league career was head scratching because of two things.

One, why not give Stowers experience against lefties and two, Aguilar has been bad all year against lefties.

I get it, Nevin is not very good so they wanted another backup firstbaseman and DH against left-handers. I get it that they were not going to add Westburg to the 40-man because he doesn't need to go on this offseason so no use burning a spot. 

But what I don't get is why they added a player who clearly is done as an effective major league baseball player when they have a young guy who needs experience and had success against lefties his entire minor league career.

So while I'm not going to go overboard here, it does give me some concern that Elias/Sig/Hyde prefer old veterans down the stretch rather than giving young players experience. The lineups seem like they are extremely biased to platoon numbers of the pitchers, regardless of the hitters. 

The lineups have been a bit disappointing, but the entire acquisition of Aguilar was unnecessary and strange when it comes to how the Orioles have been run under Elias.

• Upvote 2

I think the answer to the OP is pretty simple… Aguilar is on this team because we traded away Mancini and we have no in org RH bat alternative versus lefties. 

I don’t think Elias and Sig put a ton of thought into it. I think it was a 1:1 replacement for Mancini and they were hoping to get a .700 OPS. 

I would view it more as a “why not” move. It cost us nothing, and we had seen enough of Nevin. We simply needed a RH bat. 

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I get it that they were not going to add Westburg to the 40-man because he doesn't need to go on this offseason so no use burning a spot. 

This is the reason Aguilar is here. Because Elias didn't want to use a 40-man spot on Westburg. 

At least that's the only reason I can think of.

And it's crap. He chose a struggling re-tread over an exciting young player, during a playoff race, to save a 40-man roster spot. That's my conclusion and I hate it.

Here’s the best I can do with Aguilar: the O’s saw something they thought they could fix.  It didn’t take at first (1 for 18 in his first 6 games), but eventually Aguilar began to come around once he adjusted to what the O’s were having him do (.308/.333/.423 in his last 8 games).   

I’m not saying I buy it myself.  It’s just the only rationale I can come up with that makes any sense to me.