It's time to play the players of the future

casadeozo

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Nah.  Davey was abrasive and loved to tell everyone how smart he is, hard to get along with and picked his nose.  He was never going to be a 10-year manager.

He also showed up to the ballpark late and had others run it till he arrived. Loved to golf. 

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I understand the sentiment, but almost every team has multiple sub-replacement players.  The '01 Mariners that won 116 games had five players (including four pitchers) who were at least 0.2 wins below replacement.

Sure.  The problem is most teams that have the sub-replacement players and yet win a bunch of games have enough talent to offset said players.  If Hays, Mountcastle, Mullins, etc were all hitting then having a black hole in the lineup like Odor and Chirinos wouldn't be nearly the problem.  But when they are in the lineup AND so many of the other hitter are also slumping or underperforming those black holes are magnified.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

This organization was never going to be “normal” “well run” or operating in the 21st century as long as Peter Angelos was calling the shots.   Simple as that.

Great timing in the American League East, some high draft picks, and some shrewd/lucky moves made us competitive and interesting for 4 years.  The infrastructure for consistent long term success was never in place.

This is the bottom line. 

To me Buck’s biggest failure was not the 2016 WC game. As Drungo said the odds   weren’t great to begin with. I do think the Orioles could have beat Texas who was not that good. Buck’s biggest failure was his pitching coaches. At a time the team was relying on young arms it was a revolving door. Adair was a train wreck. If Arrieta alone works out who knows what could have happened. Jake and Britton were on the 2012 team. Zach had some decent starts but overall was pretty blah. Imagine if those two popped that year. 

They drafted fine during that era. Gausman was the only high pick they had. Didn’t have 1st round picks in 14/16 and no 2nd in 14. 

The team ran its course and they didn’t want to break it down. DD I heard on an interview this year said he didn’t like rebuilds. All of them were invested in pushing it. It was foolish. You had a divide with Buck and Dan than ran thru the organization. It was a mess. 

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Sounds like a man who knows what he's doing.

It worked but he wasn’t for the long haul. The club should have stayed more competitive for several more seasons. Wasn’t really a farm system to replace those guys who were aging. Davey cost a more competitive team in 98 and if he stayed 99.  

14 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I understand the sentiment, but almost every team has multiple sub-replacement players.  The '01 Mariners that won 116 games had five players (including four pitchers) who were at least 0.2 wins below replacement.

Yeah, I did a quick edit to clarify that my issue is not with sub-replacement players, but with acquiring players who you can't reasonably expect not to be sub-replacement players at the time you acquired them, like with Odor and Aguilar.

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The Lowenstein firing was even worse than not giving real shots to Knott and House.

John was never really told why. Basically haven’t heard from him since. Flanny took over. He always had a good relationship with Peter. 

in 98 Flanny went back to pitching coach. Rick Cerone was the new guy. Then in 99 Flanny went back to TV. 

12 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

They drafted fine during that era. Gausman was the only high pick they had. Didn’t have 1st round picks in 14/16 and no 2nd in 14.

Yup, for all the complaining people do about the Orioles drafting the results have been solid.

From 2010 to 2019 10 of the 11 players that the Orioles drafted in the first or supplemental round have reached the Majors, with Josh Hart as the exception and only Sedlock (and DL Hall as of yet) hasn't meaningfully contributed at the Major League level. Getting what they did out of Harvey at #22 and Stewart at #25, while disappointing, was still more than expected based on historical output at their draft position, likewise with Bundy and Gausman at #4 overall.

Edited by MurphDogg
  • Upvote 1