Banning the shift.........taking back baseball from the stat geeks and having a more entertaining game.

Gurgi

I remember in 2005 when I found this site.  It was a time of great change for baseball.  Moneyball had been published and teams were starting to really use tons of analytics to figure out how to win more games.  It seemed that logically teams began using the shift more and began to stop stealing as much.   Then the idea of taking as many pitches as you can as a team to force the starters out of the games early to feast on weaker bullpen arms.   This slowed the game down a lot.   Teams then countered by having three or four dominate arms to bridge the end of the game.   Throwing out there real strong bullpens in games a team could win.   

But it made the game boring as hell.   Time of games ballooned into well over three hours and stacking your short stop in short right field to take away hits from left handers feel like we were watching a different game than we grew up with.   

Now we will ban the shift.   I for one am thankful because the modern game with the three true outcomes of ab's and every batter on a team swinging for the fences with uppercut strokes and the hell with contact I am glad this is changing.   Hopefully this is beginning of the end of boring baseball.  

• Upvote 1

You do realize that they're banning the shift because three true outcomes hitters like Joey Gallo and Chris Davis pull everything into it and hit .180, so the league wants them to hit .225? 

There's an easy way to beat the shift, just hit the ball the other way.  Draft and develop hitters who hit all over the place.  MLB said, no, that's too hard, we'll just make things easier for big, left-handed pull hitters.  Also, the new rules are silent on placement of outfielders, so it's very likely that many teams will place an outfielder where the rover now is, and place the shortstop or second baseman about 6" to one side of the bag to field everything hit up the middle.

And banning the shift does absolutely nothing about the number of strikeouts or the length of games.  Thankfully the pitch clock should help with the latter.

Oh, the nerds you disdain will continue their work without pause.  They're just going to determine the most efficient ways to shift and hit within the new rules.

Edited by DrungoHazewood
  • Upvote 4

Well at least I expect a league rise in batting averages next year.   At least ten points.....maybe fifteen.....twenty points would shock me but it would be welcomed my me.  

I lived my life expecting league average batting to be around .260-.264.   This year it is .245.  That is just horrible product for the consumer.  

Edited by Gurgi

Well I heard a compromise that was put forward to allow a manager to over shift twice a game.  So maybe MLB changes the rule after seeing how the teams like or dont like it.   A manager would have to use strategy to when he wanted to shift.   Maybe waiting for an important spot with two outs and runners on.   That kind of thing.   

Fans like runners on base.  Who wants to see Manny Machado racing into the far right field wall to catch a ball?   

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes nothing more fun than watching guys try to pull everything.

Too much strategy that's what is wrong with the game.

Also geek is a pejorative term.

I wasnt really attempting to insult anyone.   Maybe Tony can change the title.  I dont think I know how or if the program lets you.  

3 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Well I heard a compromise that was put forward to allow a manager to over shift twice a game.  So maybe MLB changes the rule after seeing how the teams like or dont like it.   A manager would have to use strategy to when he wanted to shift.   Maybe waiting for an important spot with two outs and runners on.   That kind of thing.   

Fans like runners on base.  Who wants to see Manny Machado racing into the far right field wall to catch a ball?   

But the shirt isn't the problem.  It's the strikeouts and the increasing athleticism of the defense.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

But the shirt isn't the problem.  It's the strikeouts and the increasing athleticism of the defense.

I am not so sure.  Next year will be very important to figuring out what is really going on with the tweny point drop in league averages.   

I think they banned sticky tack for pitchers in an attempt to slow spin rates and I guess lessen strikeouts.   How is that working out I dont actually know.   Are strikeout rates down at all this year?

And I dont think the athleticism of the defensive players is a huge part of the equation.  

MLB had two options. Do nothing or make a change. 

You basically have 30 like minded teams. Nobody is trying to play a different way. The industry has mastered the art of developing high velocity relief arms. 

There is no end in sight with what is currently happening. MLB can’t make teams change how they play. So what to do? Sit back or try or make in their eyes the game more appealing. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Also geek is a pejorative term.

Geek is no longer a perjorative. According to wiki "... the word typically connotes an expert or enthusiast obsessed with a hobby or intellectual pursuit."

All Geeks should be proud of their geekiness!

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Also when baseball demanded a pitcher had to throw to three batters was a good improvement that I am sure the stat guys hated.   Fans hated the endless pitcher changes.  The LOOGY teams kept in the bullpen just for a lefty then went for someone else.  It made games slower and boring.   Only the stat guys get excited about bringing in Matusz for Ortiz.   Everyone else was bored.

Can't believe I'm ostensibly on the same side of an issue as Corn... but baseball has fundamental rules.

9 players on the field.

When someone figures out how (within the rules) to get the most strategic defensive value out of those 9 players.... baseball demands that they stop doing that, and that they intentionally configure their team to get sub-optimal value out of their defense.

Because some players can't cope.

What's next?

No pitching over 85 mph?