Tuesday September 27: Orioles try to clinch both .500 season and 4th place finish

SteveA

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not so sure about that.  We need to give credit when credit is due, this isn't Syd Thrift's front office.  It feels good to say that our FO is pretty smart, I mean I just cheated The Sun paywall courtesy of @Can_of_cornand read an article about this pitching lab the Orioles have set up.  We're firmly in the 21st century when it comes to how baseball is looked at by a FO.

I don't believe they think that Aguilar is head and shoulders a better option over Stowers in all facets.  I think maybe Hyde liked a matchup better for whatever reason.

If the FO wanted Stowers to face more lefties he would. 

This is Fenway. I get why he hit a Aguilar. A three run bomb makes it a 2 run game. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I hope everyone (including us) walks Judge for the rest of the week.  I just want to see Yankee fans cry.

It's total schadenfreude, but it would be partial retribution for Jeffrey Maier getting away with catching that ball in the 1996 ALCS. 

The anger and seething of Yankees will keep me warm all winter. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not so sure about that.  We need to give credit when credit is due, this isn't Syd Thrift's front office.  It feels good to say that our FO is pretty smart, I mean I just cheated The Sun paywall courtesy of @Can_of_cornand read an article about this pitching lab the Orioles have set up.  We're firmly in the 21st century when it comes to how baseball is looked at by a FO.

I don't believe they think that Aguilar is head and shoulders a better option over Stowers in all facets.  I think maybe Hyde liked a matchup better for whatever reason.

A right-handed pull power hitter in Fenway Park vs a lefty pitcher at a point in the game (2 out 2 on down 5) where it was worth taking a shot at a HR to propel us back in the game.

Yes I know Aguilar has been crap this year but throughout his career he has hit lefties well, with power.

He was obviously picked up to give us a RH bat vs lefties.  Yes, he has failed in that respect.  But that's why they got him and for the most part that's how they've used him.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

A right-handed pull power hitter in Fenway Park vs a lefty pitcher at a point in the game (2 out 2 on down 5) where it was worth taking a shot at a HR to propel us back in the game.

Yes I know Aguilar has been crap this year but throughout his career he has hit lefties well, with power.

He was obviously picked up to give us a RH bat vs lefties.  Yes, he has failed in that respect.  But that's why they got him and for the most part that's how they've used him.

Yeah, it was an effort to catch lightning in a bottle.  

6 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

Using Reed set the tone today. The Sox were licking at the chops when slow ball Reed came in.

I was so disappointed when the O's claimed Reed

Yes, at that point we’d only yielded 8 runs and 15 base runners through 3 innings, I think that’s definitely where things went off the rails. 

• Haha 1