Here’s something that is irking me greatly

Frobby

We had a 9-8 season series lead on Tampa and ended up losing the season series 10-9, losing the final two.

We had a 9-7 season series lead on Boston and ended up losing the season series 10-9, losing the final three.

We had a 6-2 season series lead on Toronto and have allowed it to get to 8-8.   We’ll lose that season series unless we win 2 of the final three.

New York?  Different story, they’ve kick our butts all year.  

We easily could have won the season series with Tampa, Boston and Toronto and have squandered the first two.  Boston in particular really  irritated me.   Losing the season series to Toronto after dominating them early would really add insult to injury. 

• Upvote 2

It was worse with Boston.  We had a 7-4 season series lead and only needed to win 3 of the last 8.  We won 2. Fitting that Martinez delivered the kill shot, given that he has obliterated us for his entire career.  

1-5 against Detroit (and literally going all the way until the 6th game to score a run off of one of their starters) is bad, but losing the season series to every divisional opponent does not feel like progress.  We may still pull it out against Toronto, and I am hoping we do because that would mean 82 wins and a good way to end the season.  

I should have qualified that because yes, mathematically it is progress when you don't lose as much to your divisional opponents as you did before.  It is kind of like the old 80s movie Summer School.  The average score for the class went from a 28 to a 63.  Still not passing....but enough to get Mr. Shoop tenure!

The cold fact is we and the Yankees had overperformed earlier, the Jays had underperformed, and it's a long long season during which there's a lot of ebb and flow. Remember when Zimmerman seemed like a solid starter and Akin was flawless? When Mateo, Hays, and Urias seemed to have found their groove as hitters? I am quite pleased that we have improved an amazing 70+% against the AL East teams compared to miserable 2021. Take a step back and compare our starting rotations to those of the Yankees, Rays, or Blue Jays. We're lucky to have done as well as we did.

Edited by LA2
  • Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, LA2 said:

The cold fact is we and the Yankees had overperformed earlier, the Jays had underperformed, and it's a long long season during which there's a lot of ebb and flow. Remember when Zimmerman seemed like a solid starter and Akin was flawless? When Mateo, Hays, and Urias seemed to have found their groove as hitters? I am quite pleased that we have improved an amazing 70+% against the AL East teams compared to miserable 2021. Take a step back and compare our starting rotations to those of the Yankees, Rays, or Blue Jays. We're lucky to have done as well as we did.

Yep - I think end of the day, we ended up being around a .500 team.  Underperformed for a bit, then overperformed for a bit, then ended up where we should be.  Which is still great progress, with work still to be done to put on the final touches.  Looking forward to the offseason for the 1st time in forever.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Yep - I think end of the day, we ended up being around a .500 team.  Underperformed for a bit, then overperformed for a bit, then ended up where we should be.  Which is still great progress, with work still to be done to put on the final touches.  Looking forward to the offseason for the 1st time in forever.

Exactly.  Great progress against great competition to just miss the cut.  We still need to raise the bar in a few places to get into the inner circle of legit contenders.  

Well, the other teams in the AL East are pretty good, probably a little better/more talented than we are just yet. I think it made me appreciate just what they accomplished as an under-talented or less-experienced bunch. 

Overall, it has been a season of great progress. We’ve seen a lot of young players and pitchers take major steps forward. The pen has been incredible, but they are running on fumes. The starters have been very good in stretches, but they have been inconsistent of late, at a critical time. The hitters have been transitional. Very good at times, and completely lost at others. Is it the humidors? is it the ball? Is it the new hitting coaches’ philosophies and practices? IDK, maybe all three. 

When the calendar changed to August, the intensity turned up. These guys learned a few valuable lessons, but they weren’t ready to compete at the top level yet. They are tired and pretty beat up at this point. Many have never played a full 162 game season. Several pitchers, since COVID, really needed to stretch out more. Not making excuses, but there is a learning curve.

I’m proud of these guys. This group has over-achieved and come a long way. Young talent has come up, a lot more on the way. We are starting to make the other teams nervous. They know the Orioles are on the road to being legitimate now. Now, they can prepare in the off season for 162 games. Elias and staff can add spend for some FA’s and make some trades. We are finally ready to compete. Perhaps we take these series in 2023. 

How many picked between 80 and 86 wins? I sure didn't. I questioned the pitching. It gave out - the bullpen is toast - the starters are on fumes. The offense has spells of absense with too many players who can't or won't take good at bats. Yet here we are. Six games to go. A team that has set an improvement record re won/loss. Sure, I'm disappointed we didn't do better down the stretch, but I am also proud of these guys, looking forward to 2023, and set to keep rooting over the next six.

• Like 1