Ever heard of a TripleHeader?

wildcard

On September 7, 1896 the Orioles swept Louisville in a tripleheader, at home in Union Park.  4-3, 9-8, and 12-1, to move to 9.0 games up in the standings with 15 left.

On the 4th and the 8th they played doubleheaders, with the 5th and 6th off.  Three game days, seven games. 6-0-1, with the tie being 11-11 against Cap Anson's Colts.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Rain tonight and all day tomorrow.  Some clearing on Wed.

My guess is they play tonight. Tomorrow may be an issue. 

I also wonder if MLB will intervene and cancel one of the games if there is a rain out and only play one Wednesday. TOR magic number is 2 to clinch home field over Seattle. I doubt they want TOR playing 2 games Wednesday, especially if both are meaningless. 

From SABR: The Pirates and Reds played the last MLB triple-header on October 2, 1920. (The Reds had beaten the Black Sox in the previous season's World Series.)

The triple bill was played, at the request of the Pirates and on the command of the NL president, because the fourth-place Pirates had a chance to pass the Reds for third place, and that would give each Pittsburgh player a larger payment from the World Series revenues, in the days when first-division finishers in each eight-team league got a slice of the World Series proceeds. Even though Cincinnati eliminated that possibility by winning the opener, all three games were played.

All this made a little more sense when each game could be finished in two hours or less. Even so, the third game was called on account of darkness after six innings.

http://research.sabr.org/journals/last-tripleheader

• Upvote 2

I'm in a 'screw those guys' type of mood.  Lets rain out the next two and force the BJ's to play a game on Thursday ahead of their series opener on Friday.  Its our last chance to create the 'chaos comin' the marketing team halfheartedly tried to push these last couple months.

A lot of people were saying that rain would probably wreak havoc with the schedule this past weekend, and that games might not get played.

Not a single game was missed.   The Nats juggled some gametimes around and managed to get 4 games in 3 days in.

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

On September 7, 1896 the Orioles swept Louisville in a tripleheader, at home in Union Park.  4-3, 9-8, and 12-1, to move to 9.0 games up in the standings with 15 left.

On the 4th and the 8th they played doubleheaders, with the 5th and 6th off.  Three game days, seven games. 6-0-1, with the tie being 11-11 against Cap Anson's Colts.

We’re not worthy!  :)  Thanks for posting this type of oddity!

14 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

From SABR: The Pirates and Reds played the last MLB triple-header on October 2, 1920. (The Reds had beaten the Black Sox in the previous season's World Series.)

The triple bill was played, at the request of the Pirates and on the command of the NL president, because the fourth-place Pirates had a chance to pass the Reds for third place, and that would give each Pittsburgh player a larger payment from the World Series revenues, in the days when first-division finishers in each eight-team league got a slice of the World Series proceeds. Even though Cincinnati eliminated that possibility by winning the opener, all three games were played.

All this made a little more sense when each game could be finished in two hours or less. Even so, the third game was called on account of darkness after six innings.

http://research.sabr.org/journals/last-tripleheader

They played the tripleheader in exactly 5:00, although there was probably some amount of time between games.  Nevertheless, three games in five hours, and the abbreviated six-inning game three took just 1:01.  An hour into a typical game today we're in the 3rd. Two weeks ago the Guardians and Twins played a single 15-inning game that lasted 5:24.  In August the Mets and Phillies played a nine-inning game that lasted 4:26.

Earlier in that 1920 season the Dodgers and Braves played a 26-inning tie (the famous Oeschger-Cadore game where both pitchers went the distance) that lasted 3:50.

I cannot wait for the pitch clock.  Don't tell me about commercials.  Commercials don't turn a 2:00 game into 4:26.

Edited by DrungoHazewood

15 hours ago, dystopia said:

If the games have no meaning they don't have to reschedule them right? They can just cancel?

Technically they could, but I think they try to avoid that because it costs one of the teams revenues.  

But I don't know how a lot of that works.  When a game is completely cancelled do season ticket holders get refunds? I'm assuming individual game ticket holders do? Are concessions workers and ushers and the like on hourly pay and they don't get anything if the game doesn't happen? 

Let's say the Orioles gross $50 per fan on tickets, concessions, parking etc.  Even a game with just 10,000 in attendance brings in half a million dollars.