What 3 moves would you make this off season (that are realistic)?

DocJJ

11 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Westburg, Ortiz, and Henderson, can play multiple positions.  Norby is probably the one who doesn’t fit.   All roads lead to Henderson.  The future homes of Urías, Mateo, Ortiz, and Westburg all depend on that decision.

Plus Mayo, who perhaps is a bigger piece than any of those other infielders.

There's a lot of room between going full Gunnar (1st or 2nd best Orioles Bat by yearend), and just getting into the Top Nine where your Org should consider if you belong on a fall roster like Francisco Alvarez, Will Brennan and Miguel Vargas are/were.

If Kjerstad and Mayo are who Elias thought they were, they probably should challenge for those roles in 10-11 months.

End of 2023 configurations with all Elias' hand-picked guys get tough for current Orioles to crack.     I hope sometime next September for a lineup like..

LF Cowser, SS Gunnar, 3B Mayo, C Adley, DH Kjerstad, CF Mullins, 1B Mountcastle, RF Santander, 2B JW/RU/JO/CN/JM/TV

If I am limited to only 3 transactions/moves to better the team for 2023 then I would do the following (in no particular order, but still budget conscious on the future😞

1. Sign Tucker Barnhardt to back up Adley, can hit decently and is of course left handed hitter.

2. Sign Anthony Rizzo to a lofty 1 yr deal with a 2nd yr option. With the removal of the shift and our short porch in RF, i think he might hit closer to .240 but have same power numbers.

3. Sign Koudai Senga to a 4 or 5 yr contract with maybe the intent to really make noise in 2024 and have a Japanese player on the team that could assist with the chances to enter the Ohtani sweepstakes.

By signing Rizzo to a 1 yr deal you would have 1B open for Adley on some days for Ohtani to DH and work out a schedule for pitching days or off days. You could then pencil in Mountcastle for 1st or a converted 3B/OF to 1st that will be blocked. This could be the true middle of the order bat for our contending 2024-2027 teams. It might take 50 million for him, but if could feasible to maintain that salary on a short term 4 yr deal before the big years hit for Adley, Gunnar and other extensions.

Ideally i would add another pitcher as well and I would also look to extend Adley and Gunnar to decent extensions like others have noted that would buy out at least 2 years each of free agency, but highlighted my first 3 above.

My preferred two-step move is one that’s been mentioned frequently — namely, trading mostly position players for a younger quality SP (P. Lopez, T. Skubal, C. Javier, etc.) and then signing someone like Josh Bell or Anthony Rizzo to give instant pop in the middle of the lineup. 

One thing I haven’t seen a lot is addressing the bullpen. Which I understand, because there’s definitely a realistic scenario in which they could field a very strong bullpen just from internal candidates — the Bautista, Perez, Tate core plus a few from a group of Baker, Akin, Krehbiel, and the guys who don’t win rotation spots (potentially Wells, Voth, Bradish, Kremer, Hall, Baumann, etc). That would be a lot of talent to choose from, and it would be extremely cheap. 

With that said, I think they’re going to want to keep a number of those guys stretched out as starters, and I’m afraid I’m just not sold on Perez/Tate as the next Brach and O’Day. If they could bring in a guy like Rafael Montero (just one example, I’m sure there are others) on a reasonable deal, that would add another power arm to the bullpen. If they’re inclined to look at lefties — because Perez in particular is iffy, or just because they have a ton of viable righty options — I think guys like Matt Moore (pretty darn good as a reliever) or Andrew Chafin (great mustache, also a good pitcher) would be options. 

I know it’s not “cool” to spend on veteran relievers. But any of these would be relatively short deals, and we’re talking about a roster that realistically is not going to approach any sort of reasonable spending ceiling. They’ll have money to spend, and these are guys who could affect a pennant race if they help lock down the back end of the pen. Bullpens are about stockpiling quantity and quality, and adding such a player instantly creates more high-end depth. And worst case scenario, if the season goes upside down for us, these kinds of guys are always in demand at the deadline.

1 hour ago, clapdiddy said:

So, I guess it's no big surprise, but Correa is opting out of his deal in Minnesota.

Any chance Elias goes after him and use some of the depth of middle infielders in the minors to acquire established pitching? 

Would a 4/140 deal make sense for him?

Ummm doubt that it would.. he was looking for 10 year 350 last year signing 3 year 104 deal he is opting out of

6 year minimum i would guess and near 200 mil

We can sign anybody up to 20+mil for 2023 and still be budget neutral as Chris Davis 23 mil comes off .. house money..

11 hours ago, e16bball said:

I know it’s not “cool” to spend on veteran relievers. But any of these would be relatively short deals, and we’re talking about a roster that realistically is not going to approach any sort of reasonable spending ceiling. They’ll have money to spend, and these are guys who could affect a pennant race if they help lock down the back end of the pen. Bullpens are about stockpiling quantity and quality, and adding such a player instantly creates more high-end depth. And worst case scenario, if the season goes upside down for us, these kinds of guys are always in demand at the deadline.

Totally agree. I don't fully trust Tate or Perez and we can't just assume plus-replacement level guys will fall to us, especially now that we won't have prime waiver position. Veteran relievers are a cheap way to get WPA in high leverage situations. The bullpen felt a little thin after we traded Jorge. Hard to go on a win streak when you're needing to get big outs from Baker and Krehbiel. 

Signing Verlander just makes so much sense, as it does for any team trying to win. Give him the big two year deal, while our payroll is dirt cheap. Then Wells can get pushed into a BP role. 

SP: Verlander, GR, Bradish, Kremer, Voth

Depth: Wells, Watkins, Means, Baumann, Hall

BP: Omar, Perez, Wells, Tate, Baker, Khreibel, Akin, Watkins

Depth: Vespi, Baumann, Zimmerman, Hall

On 10/11/2022 at 10:50 AM, Jim'sKid26 said:

Ok. You have to explain why no Rizzo. Power hitting LH with GG defense at 1B. O's need a MoO bat. With Wallitimore a LH power bat is much preferred.

With regard to Stripling:

Stripling: ERA+ = 3.57, xFIP= 3.67, BABIP=.269, K/9 = 7.4, IP= 134.1, Age= will play all of 2023 at 33

Burnes: ERA+ = 3.05 , xFIP= 2.85, BABIP= .292, K/9 = 11.7, IP= 202, Age= 28

How do you consider these two pitchers interchangeable? Burnes >>>>Stripling

No Rizzo because I believe he’s going to start breaking down. We need the LH power bat but a younger pre arb guy.

I don’t think the pitchers are interchangeable just cost to acquire. Burns is going to cost and Stripling is just cash.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Riggodrill44 said:

If I could dream,Casses from Boston. That's the guy I would love to have. At least this type.

That’s the point though.  Is that pre Arb MLB level stud a real thing at a reasonable cost?  Boston will dump Hosmer before Casas.  

1. If we’re trying to win the division, which would take 100 games, then we have to come out the gates swinging from day 1. Of course you still hold GR, Westburg, and Cowser, down the first 15 days. 

2. I really like us to keep our wealth of prospects and spend on FA. Then see where we’re at deadline time next year. 

3.  That’s why I want Verlander, JD Martinez, and Jorge Lopez.