Os decline Lyles option

Sports Guy

6 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I think it's polite, professional talk.  

I don’t …it depends how other things go. It will become apparent if the Orioles are competitive in free agency, meaning willing to pay enough to be the highest bidder. Then if the stigma is gone or if they still are playing with confederate money.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I don’t …it depends how other things go. It will become apparent if the Orioles are competitive in free agency, meaning willing to pay enough to be the highest bidder. Then if the stigma is gone or if they still are playing with confederate money.

As closed mouthed as Elias is I don't know if we will find out if the O's were offering competitive offers and not signing guys or not.

I don't expect Elias to go crying to the media about how players won't take his money.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

As closed mouthed as Elias is I don't know if we will find out if the O's were offering competitive offers and not signing guys or not.

I don't expect Elias to go crying to the media about how players won't take his money.

The proof will be in the pudding as they say. I think they will sign two starters with one being resigning Lyles.

2 hours ago, Camden Yards said:

This is wonderful news! This tears the bandaid off those folks hoping we would hold onto mediocrity. It’s time to have some guts and go get us a couple of good to very good established pitchers. 

Now if Elias announces a deal with Dylan Bundy then we have a problem. 

The wall will make Bundy an above average pitcher!

3 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

Exactly. And finally, they appear to be.  It wasn't long ago that they were too lazy to sign a bat to improve the team and went dumpster diving for the likes of Colby Rasmus and Travis Snider and tried to play them up as key acquisitions.  I sincerely hope those days are over. 

Bringing up Travis Snider triggered me!! Lol 

Duquette playing footsie with Toronto after the 2014 season, letting Cruz and Markakis walk and trading for this guy as sole improvement offseason was unforgivable. 
And part of why Dan is unemployed as a GM as we speak too imho. 

The two Steves we traded.. Brault who is still pitching in relief (not well but a career)

and Tarpley who went to Yankees, looked like money in minors, was in playoffs in 2018, then had elbow surgery, and again in 2021 , but last year pitched well for Long Island Ducks and Wally liked him after convert to starting.. 

https://www.newsday.com/amp/sports/local/ducks/ducks-stephen-tarpley-wally-backman-pqi9x87r

4 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Wells, Kremer, Grayson, Voth, Bradish, and Means.

That's 6 starters who are better than Lyles, without signing anyone. It was obvious to turn down Lyles, there's no room for him. 

How many of those guys are capable of throwing 180 innings next year?

I was on the fence about the option; I certainly don't think it's quite as black and white as some.

If they replace Lyles' innings with a clear upgrade in talent, who still projects to have Lyles' durability, this is the way to go.

If they don't,  for whatever reason, I could see them missing those innings next year.

18 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I was on the fence about the option; I certainly don't think it's quite as black and white as some.

If they replace Lyles' innings with a clear upgrade in talent, who still projects to have Lyles' durability, this is the way to go.

If they don't,  for whatever reason, I could see them missing those innings next year.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head.   Eventually, declining the option will need to be judged in the context of what else they are able to do.   I was in favor of declining it, but they need to use the money to upgrade the pitching from where it would have been with Lyles.   

22 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Considering you have the utmost confidence in Elias, you should feel good about him accomplishing this.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head.   Eventually, declining the option will need to be judged in the context of what else they are able to do.   I was in favor of declining it, but they need to use the money to upgrade the pitching from where it would have been with Lyles.   

It doesn’t have to be money used.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Considering you have the utmost confidence in Elias, you should feel good about him accomplishing this.

I have a lot of confidence in Elias- at this point, I don't see how anybody couldn't- but it is possible to follow good processes and have bad outcomes.