Some decent players DFA’d. (Update: O's claim Lewin Diaz-1B)

bpilktree

32 minutes ago, interloper said:

Nice job. I'm ok with him as AAA depth I guess, but I don't see much here based off baseball savant numbers and stats. Even his AAA numbers were bleh. 

I would be surprised if he makes all the way through to the Rule 5 draft. My guess is Elias waives him a day or so before the draft and tries to sneak him through waivers since he can't become a free agent yet.

• Upvote 1

Diaz kind of feels like the reverse of a guy like Bencosme.    When kids are 16, they might not look like much and it won't reveal itself until later that they can really hit.

Looking at the reports on Diaz's size and athleticism, he could probably sell jeans, and I'd bet he showcased well.    But if he's such a good hitter, why doesn't he hit?     

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/twins-sign-lewin-diaz.html

Elias still trying to ret-conn like we had an international presence in 2013.     This is more or less exactly what we hope doesn't happen the next 7-8 years of Samuel Basallo's life.

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Better than Tyler Nevin is about as low a bar as a man can set.

I'm certainly not arguing over Nevins major league value which I think is "less than replacement level," but he does play 3B and has has better EVs than Diaz. Neither should play a role as anything but deep AAA depth for break glass in case of emergencies kinds of players.

3 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Diaz kind of feels like the reverse of a guy like Bencosme.    When kids are 16, they might not look like much and it won't reveal itself until later that they can really hit.

Looking at the reports on Diaz's size and athleticism, he could probably sell jeans, and I'd bet he showcased well.    But if he's such a good hitter, why doesn't he hit?     

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/twins-sign-lewin-diaz.html

Elias still trying to ret-conn like we had an international presence in 2013.     This is more or less exactly what we hope doesn't happen the next 7-8 years of Samuel Basallo's life.

Thankfully Basallo has already outhit Diaz in the FCL at a year younger. Basallo looks well ahead of Diaz at the same point.

• Tony-OH changed the title to Some decent players DFA’d. (Update: O's claim Lewin Diaz-1B)
9 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Jake Cave, Daz Cameron, Lewin Diaz.

It's been a whirlwind of an offseason so far, my head is spinning.

And just like that, as soon as I mention them, Cameron and Cave are off the roster.

-- Cameron outrighted, cleared waivers, assigned to Norfolk

-- Cave claimed on waivers by the Phillies.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Maybe an exhale for Ryan McKenna with his one remaining option to Daz's none.    I think now whatever lean there might have been in a spring battle tilts his way, as path more open for Daz to play everyday at AAA and see if Orioles Player Development can unlock anything.

12 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Maybe an exhale for Ryan McKenna with his one remaining option to Daz's none.    I think now whatever lean there might have been in a spring battle tilts his way, as path more open for Daz to play everyday at AAA and see if Orioles Player Development can unlock anything.

I liked the Cameron pickup with the expectation that he would be put on waivers. I'm glad he cleared. I'll be interested to see if the Orioles can find anything there, albeit a long shot. 

I don’t hate it. He’d at least be an upgrade defensively over Mountcastle. If he still looks lost offensively in ST then you can keep Mountcastle at 1B and call it a day. But the truth is that Mountcastle is trending downward every year, he can’t field very well, and 1B depth is non-existent right now. Not nearly as much of a head scratcher as having Cave and Cameron on the 40 man roster. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think Miami has a clue when it comes to developing bats, so it’s absolutely worthwhile for us to take a flyer on a guy with that skill set.  I have a feeling that we’ll need to sneak him through waivers though.  

Interesting that he was starting to crush it in 2019 at A+ and AA with the Twins. Then he was traded to Miami - to your point, who seem to have not helped him. Then he had the pandemic year between offsite and the Bigs, and he's been stalled since. Maybe the O's can get him back on track.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, SteveA said:

And just like that, as soon as I mention them, Cameron and Cave are off the roster.

-- Cave claimed on waivers by the Phillies.

I actually liked Cameron better than Cave so glad to see him be some depth in AAA.