So...uh, when does free agency start?

Bahama O's Fan

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Lopez is under team control for two years, Mullins for 3.   Who are the internal options to replace Mullins?  Pretty much anyone who’s played in the majors or AAA is a defensive downgrade.  Beavers or Fabian are two years away, by which time Lopez is a free agent.  I don’t think I would trade Mullins for Lopez even up.  

Would McKenna be a defensive downgrade?

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Lopez is under team control for two years, Mullins for 3.   Who are the internal options to replace Mullins?  Pretty much anyone who’s played in the majors or AAA is a defensive downgrade.  Beavers or Fabian are two years away, by which time Lopez is a free agent.  I don’t think I would trade Mullins for Lopez even up.  

Cowser seems just about ready, and he could take over in center.  Hays, while better in left, could play center with Stowers becoming the full time left fielder.  Yes, it is a defensive downgrade, but Lopez is a huge upgrade to Voth/Wells whoever he would replace in the rotation.

Or, they could sign someone as a stop gap for a year, such as Kiermaier. 

15 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Cowser seems just about ready, and he could take over in center.  Hays, while better in left, could play center with Stowers becoming the full time left fielder.  Yes, it is a defensive downgrade, but Lopez is a huge upgrade to Voth/Wells whoever he would replace in the rotation.

Why not just sign someone of Lopez's caliber to a 2 year deal.  The guys who are similar in WAR are plentiful.  Walker/Syndegarrd/Wacha/Heaney.  Then you don't have to worry about replacing a guy you can't replace via FA.

14 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Kuermaier is coming off season-ending hip surgery, so I don’t know about him.  Maybe there’s someone else out there.  

I don’t think we’re seeing Cowser until at least June 1, and that’s only if he performs well.  

I do like Lopez, so don’t get me wrong.  If both players had the same amount of service time remaining, I’d consider Mullins for Lopez a pretty even swap.  But the extra year for Mullins is a pretty significant factor.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Kuermaier is coming off season-ending hip surgery, so I don’t know about him.  Maybe there’s someone else out there.  

I don’t think we’re seeing Cowser until at least June 1, and that’s only if he performs well.  

I do like Lopez, so don’t get me wrong.  If both players had the same amount of service time remaining, I’d consider Mullins for Lopez a pretty even swap.  But the extra year for Mullins is a pretty significant factor.  

Fair points regarding service time.  I wouldn't mind keeping Mullins around, but I think Lopez is better than most of the second/third tier guys such as Taillon, Quintana, Walker and he is cheaper (again, wish it was longer than a two year commitment).  

2 hours ago, MarCakes21 said:

Why not just sign someone of Lopez's caliber to a 2 year deal.  The guys who are similar in WAR are plentiful.  Walker/Syndegarrd/Wacha/Heaney.  Then you don't have to worry about replacing a guy you can't replace via FA.

Lower floors and lower ceilings. We shouldn’t even be considering pitchers like this.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Lower floors and lower ceilings. We shouldn’t even be considering pitchers like this.

I don't want them.  But if you're talking about trading a 5 WAR CF with 3 years left for a 3 WAR SP with 2 years left, just sign one of the existing guys.  It's bad practice otherwise.

4 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

I don't want them.  But if you're talking about trading a 5 WAR CF with 3 years left for a 3 WAR SP with 2 years left, just sign one of the existing guys.  It's bad practice otherwise.

Mullins was a 5 WAR CFer in 2021, not 2022 and not likely as he gets older as well.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Mullins was a 5 WAR CFer in 2021, not 2022 and not likely as he gets older as well.

So phrase it differently, do you trade Mullins for Lopez straight up?

Why wouldn't you target something that could give you more reward than the likely 6 WAR you'll get from Lopez over 2 years.  Something Top 50 overall and could give you 15 WAR if you want to move on from him.

1 minute ago, MarCakes21 said:

So phrase it differently, do you trade Mullins for Lopez straight up?

Why wouldn't you target something that could give you more reward than the likely 6 WAR you'll get from Lopez over 2 years.  Something Top 50 overall and could give you 15 WAR if you want to move on from him.

As I said in the other thread, I would make the deal because of need and upside of  Lopez but I do feel we should get more for Mullins than Lopez straight up.

I would look to expand the deal with Miami.  They could use Urias, Mateo, Hays or Mountcastle.

Cabrera is my bigger fish to target from them.

4 hours ago, oriole said:

Hasn’t he said a #3 starter? I know we’re all hoping for a bona fide ace but it’s just not realistic. Not that it couldn’t happen…they’ve got the pay roll space for it. I’ve just never seen the O’s give out real big contracts to pitching before

So then was is @Sports Guy mad whenever Wacha gets mentioned? And A #3 is about what he is.

46 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Fair points regarding service time.  I wouldn't mind keeping Mullins around, but I think Lopez is better than most of the second/third tier guys such as Taillon, Quintana, Walker and he is cheaper (again, wish it was longer than a two year commitment).  

He’s also younger.  I’d rather have Lopez than those guys over the next two years.   But I’d probably prefer to have one of those guys AND Mullins than Lopez and no Mullins.  I think we need a bit more than just Lopez.  SG might be right that expanding the proposed trade is the way to go.   

• Upvote 1