“Orioles big game shopping & most believe it's exclusively rotation”

Roll Tide

3 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Here is how I hope/see it lining up for the start of the season:

1. Kremer (they'll want to start with one of their own)

2. Free Agent (Bassitt/Taillon/Walker/Rodon?)

3. Bradish

4. Rodriguez (starts home opener)

5. Gibson

Wells and Voth as swing guys in the pen.

It'll be really interesting (though not necessarily that important) to see who they start opening day if they don't sign a Bassitt/Rodon level guy.

Just now, LookinUp said:

Gibson's a lock more than Bradish or Kremer, IMO. 

If we add another high-level starter, that's a decent 5 for sure. Add 2 more and it's a luxury.

That is what I meant. 4 spots are currently spoken for with Gibson, GrayRod, Kremer, and Bradish and only 1 spot remains, and Wells will only be given the opportunity to seize it if no other SPs are added or someone gets injured in ST.

I expect that another SP will be added and Wells will start the year in some sort of bullpen role.

3 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

That is what I meant. 4 spots are currently spoken for with Gibson, GrayRod, Kremer, and Bradish and only 1 spot remains, and Wells will only be given the opportunity to seize it if no other SPs are added or someone gets injured in ST.

I expect that another SP will be added and Wells will start the year in some sort of bullpen role.

This checks out to me. 

4 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

It'll be really interesting (though not necessarily that important) to see who they start opening day if they don't sign a Bassitt/Rodon level guy.

I agree with Yardball that Kremer likely gets the nod if it doesn't go to a FA. And that Grayson likely gets his first start in series 2 at Texas. 

The fact that Kremer is in the mix for Opening Day starter is all the proof I need that they have to add at least 2 more legitimate starting pitchers.

For all the talk on Gibson being a back of rotation guy he had a better xFIP last year than Kremer did and they each had a 4.46 xERA.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, tabletop said:

The fact that Kremer is in the mix for Opening Day starter is all the proof I need that they have to add at least 2 more legitimate starting pitchers.

For all the talk on Gibson being a back of rotation guy he had a better xFIP last year than Kremer did and they each had a 4.46 xERA.

They have to?  Or what?   If the plan was to acquire two pitchers of the type you are suggesting, they wouldn’t have signed Gibson.

6 minutes ago, tabletop said:

Kremer is not in the mix for anything but showing up in ST and competing for a spot. His track record is very small and he has options. If the O's actually do sign someone like Rodon or Bassitt, they will be the #1 starter, almost guaranteed. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Kremer is not in the mix for anything but showing up in ST and competing for a spot. His track record is very small. If the O's actually do sign someone like Rodon or Bassitt, they will be the #1 starter, almost guaranteed. 

I think he is saying "in the mix" assuming the status quo with no upgrade. 

I would think Kremer is a virtual lock to start in the rotation. He has a good minor league resume and his performance last year is the best sample we have. I think it fair to call him at least a presumptive starter.

Just now, Aristotelian said:

I think he is saying "in the mix" assuming the status quo with no upgrade. 

I would think Kremer is a virtual lock to start in the rotation. He has a good minor league resume and his performance last year is the best sample we have. I think it fair to call him at least a presumptive starter.

For sure, but I don't think he's anywhere close to being in the mix for the #1 spot in the rotation. 

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

For sure, but I don't think he's anywhere close to being in the mix for the #1 spot in the rotation. 

Absent any further signings, who else would be definitely ahead of him? He led our pitchers in WAR. Maybe Gibson gets it out of veteran courtesy, but I think Kremer would have to be in the mix.

42 minutes ago, interloper said:

Kremer is not in the mix for anything but showing up in ST and competing for a spot. His track record is very small and he has options. If the O's actually do sign someone like Rodon or Bassitt, they will be the #1 starter, almost guaranteed. 

So who starts Opening Day as of right now? You're telling me that based on the current roster Kremer isn't in the mix for that? Obviously if they sign someone that is better than what they have they'll be the #1 but as of right now they haven't.

7 minutes ago, tabletop said:

So who starts Opening Day as of right now? You're telling me that based on the current roster Kremer isn't in the mix for that? Obviously if they sign someone that is better than what they have they'll be the #1 but as of right now they haven't.

Gibson is the OD starter as of today.