Orioles 2022 #28 Prospect Hudson Haskin - OF

Tony-OH

1 minute ago, btdart20 said:

I can buy that HBP is repeatable.  My son played HS ball this past year and the coach would joke that he was a lock to get a hit, a walk, and an HBP.  My son called it his version of the cycle.  OBP was probably .750 on the season.  It was true for about half his games.  An elbow and shoulder guard are on his Christmas list this year...

I'll buy that it's repeatable but I'm not sold that it necessarily translates as you go up in level.

I'm inclined to think we have fewer HBP in the majors than we have in A ball.  (without bothering to do research)

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll buy that it's repeatable but I'm not sold that it necessarily translates as you go up in level.

I'm inclined to think we have fewer HBP in the majors than we have in A ball.  (without bothering to do research)

My comment was more anecdotal tongue-in-cheek.  But yes, it seems logical that pitcher control improves as you move up.  Hitters who set up close to the plate or dive into the pitches to try to pull will likely have higher HBP rates.  Bad command and hitters who can't tap into their power more naturally would likely wash out at some point.  Seems like there's a 'type' but it's more like a random walk down the street.