Any interest in Josh Bell?

Frobby

I was reading an article today about players who might benefit most from the change in the shift rule.  Josh Bell was mentioned as one of the leaders in hitting ground balls to the right side of the infield at 100+ mph, with 16.   So, he’s a strong candidate to benefit from the new rule.  

Bell is a switch hitter with a career OPS+ of 120, slightly better from the LH side (.827/.767 OPS).   In 2022, he had a 128 OPS+, with his splits the opposite of his career numbers (.768/.816).   Either way, he’s a guy who doesn’t need to be platooned who’s pretty good either way.     He’s been worth 9.0 rWAR, 8.0 fWAR in his career, 3.0 rWAR and 2.0 fWAR in 2022.   He’s strictly a 1B/DH and a bit below average defensively at 1B.  As a career National Leaguer, he hasn’t played DH a ton, but he hasn’t hit well when he has (.654 OPS in 68 games, including .677 in 32 games in 2022).   

Ben Clemens had him at 2/$18 mm, Fangraphs median crowdsource was 3/$39 mm, MLBTR had him at 4/$64 mm.   That’s quite a variance.  

I’d have some interest in him at the low end of that spectrum, filling the Mancini role.   But not at 4/$64 mm.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I was reading an article today about players who might benefit most from the change in the shift rule.  Josh Bell was mentioned as one of the leaders in hitting ground balls to the right side of the infield at 100+ mph, with 16.   So, he’s a strong candidate to benefit from the new rule.  

Bell is a switch hitter with a career OPS+ of 120, slightly better from the LH side (.827/.767 OPS).   In 2022, he had a 128 OPS+, with his splits the opposite of his career numbers (.768/.816).   Either way, he’s a guy who doesn’t need to be platooned who’s pretty good either way.     He’s been worth 9.0 rWAR, 8.0 fWAR in his career, 3.0 rWAR and 2.0 fWAR in 2022.   He’s strictly a 1B/DH and a bit below average defensively at 1B.  As a career National Leaguer, he hasn’t played DH a ton, but he hasn’t hit well when he has (.654 OPS in 68 games, including .677 in 32 games in 2022).   

Ben Clemens had him at 2/$18 mm, Fangraphs median crowdsource was 3/$39 mm, MLBTR had him at 4/$64 mm.   That’s quite a variance.  

I’d have some interest in him at the low end of that spectrum, filling the Mancini role.   But not at 4/$64 mm.

Bell is a nice bay, I too would like to have him. But not anywhere near the top of those estimations. I would not go beyond 3 years, or 12 aav. So, anything beyond 3 and 36 and I’m out

I love the idea. We could use some pop and he should be reasonably priced. Slot him in mainly at DH. 

bWAR last 4 years..

2019 - 2.8

2020 - -0.5 (57 games)

2021 - 3.1

2022 - 3.0

Taking out 2020 (I get that's selective, but it was a shortened year and any slump is hard to recover from statistically), he's essentially been a 3 WAR player while having consistently negative dWAR's. Let him feast on the short porch in right.

Would definitely prefer a shorter deal. I wonder if something like 2/28-2/30 could get it done.

I'd be interested for sure. Bell would bring a lot of the same qualities as Abreu. Not quite as good but five years younger. Definitely better than Aguilar/Lewin Diaz. That said I am not a huge fan of full time DH's, especially when you have a C who can DH for free, plus a bunch of prospects who need to find AB's (Stowers and Vavra, plus possibly Norby and Cowser sooner rather than later). 

I think he is a very close substitute for Anthony Santander--switch hitter, middle of the order power,  good enough OBP, defense is not his strong suit.    If Bell becomes the primary DH, then we either have to put up with Santander's defense in the outfield, or we have to trade Santander.   

I wouldn't  mind having both in the lineup, and trading Austin Hays if we feel like we need to make room for Kyle Stowers or Colton Cowser.  We give up some defense but we add another middle-of-the order, high OPS bat to the lineup.  

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Only if they flip Mountcastle + for Lopez or something like that.  I don't want to load up 1B/DH types. 

I think Bell could be the full time DH, part-time 1B. Rotate Bell, Santander, Mountcastle, Adley in the DH spot here and there. Plenty of ABs for all those guys.