Bryan Reynolds Trade?

DrinkinWithFermi

9 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I want more offense. I just don’t think I would give up what it would require to get him. Save those pieces for an arm. Use FA to supplement offense. 

Depends on what’s available in trade for each side of it.  Signing Eovaldi and trading for a bat may be the better option.

I'm not sure what it would take for Reynolds but my guess is it's more than I'd be willing to give up. I think JD Martinez would be a nice add on a one year deal. I know he's basically a pure DH, but as a RH bat who hits both LH and RH he'd fit well with our lineup, me thinks.

On 12/11/2022 at 9:20 PM, DrinkinWithFermi said:

That definitely would not be enough, there are probably multiple teams that would beat that offer by a wide margin. Even Cowser, Stowers, and Hall probably would not be quite enough to get it across the finish line. 

The A’s traded Sean Murphy and got 5 prospects.  Not ONE is even listed in Baseball America’s top 100 unlike Hall and Cowser.  Murphy and Reynolds’s are very comparable.  3 years of service time.  According to Fangraphs Reynolds worth 9 WAR and Murphy 8.4 over the last 2 years but Murphy was 5.1 to 2.9 over Reynolds in 2022.

9 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Murphy and Reynolds’s are very comparable.  

I disagree with this premise.

They are vaguely comparable, but Reynolds is a recent all star and the better hitter. He has been more valuable on a per year basis and overall, plus the Athletics are notorious for valuing players in their own unique way compared to the rest of the league.

9 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I disagree with this premise.

They are vaguely comparable, but Reynolds is a recent all star and the better hitter. He has been more valuable on a per year basis and overall, plus the Athletics are notorious for valuing players in their own unique way compared to the rest of the league.

You said the last two years are the most relevant in a previous discussion. I used the last two years.  In fact, Murphy was the significantly more valuable player last year according to both Fangraphs and BR.  Recent all-star?   Really.  LOL

The A’s may do things differently but the fact remains, they did not acquire even ONE top rated 100 prospect.

A Cowser, Hall, Stowers for Reynolds would be something the Pirates would jump at.

12 hours ago, G54377 said:

I'm not sure what it would take for Reynolds but my guess is it's more than I'd be willing to give up. I think JD Martinez would be a nice add on a one year deal. I know he's basically a pure DH, but as a RH bat who hits both LH and RH he'd fit well with our lineup, me thinks.

Well Martinez didn't hit right-handed OR left-handed pitchers last season so there's that. Seriously though I really think he's toast and would be a waste of money, even on a one year deal. 

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You said the last two years are the most relevant in a previous discussion. I used the last two years.  In fact, Murphy was the significantly more valuable player last year according to both Fangraphs and BR.  Recent all-star?   Really.  LOL

The A’s may do things differently but the fact remains, they did not acquire even ONE top rated 100 prospect.

A Cowser, Hall, Stowers for Reynolds would be something the Pirates would jump at.

I simply do not think that any particularly useful info about a hypothetical Reynolds trade can be gleaned from the Murphy trade.

Also, I read that at least one of Kyle Muller and Esteury Perez was ranked in the top 100 on at least one list (58th overall IIRC), but either way, the A's generally march to the beat of their own drum when it comes to who they trade for prospects-wise. 

Just now, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I simply do not think that any particularly useful info about a hypothetical Reynolds trade can be gleaned from the Murphy trade.

Also, I read that at least one of Kyle Muller and Esteury Perez was ranked in the top 100 on at least one list (58th overall IIRC), but either way, the A's generally march to the beat of their own drum when it comes to who they trade for prospects-wise. 

Somehow, I think if 2 100 prospects were included you would have found that useful.

Would anyone trade DL Hall for Kyle Muller today?

Internet sources are good for finding approximately who elites are (i.e., back of Top 100 Gunnar Henderson), but I believe players who get into actual transactions like this are generally ones where Clubs know details on mid and low level guys I can't look up on Fangraphs.

I don't think Kyle Bradish was in any Top 100's around Bundy trade time, but glad he's here now.    OAK chose well with Chris Bassitt a dump cycle ago.

Freely grant its a chicken-egg problem.

Reynolds would be fun as an awesome Marylander, but he does kind of duplicate what we already have.    I don't think the Mullins-Reynolds delta would make or break the '23 Adley Orioles anymore than say a Manaea-Wacha-Carrasco delta would.

Haven't seen in yet but guessing gist of Fangraphs Longenhagen eventual piece on OAK prospects gained will be...they're good.