The warning signs are there for the reading

Tony-OH

2 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I think that's another reason why the O's haven't signed anyone just yet. They have a ton of prospects down the pipeline, and why would you stifle DL Hall and GrayRod? Kyle Gibson should be there to eat innings early, and at worst we just turn him into a spot starter down the stretch. He's mainly just an insurance policy incase so they don't rush Hall and GrayRod. No one else is an insurance policy, but an investment. 

No one currently in the O's rotation is going to stand in the way of Rodriguez and Hall if they prove to be ready. Voth/Kremer/Bradish/Wells/etc can all move to the pen if need be. I don't see any reason to let that group stand in the way of signing a better option. I would also not say that the O's have a ton of pitching prospects in the pipeline. It's pretty thin once you get past the top two.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

So you like the idea of going for it with guys like Adley and Gunnar but trading them after year 3 or 4 for prospects? Fill me in again, but how many WS title has Tamp won?

Tampa has kept Wander Franco and Brandon Lowe, so if we play our cards right we can probably keep both Adley and Gunnar; assuming we're going off the Tampa Bay model. They've won, and they've done so in convincing fashion since 2019. 2020 they made it to the WS. Yes, it was a Mickey Mouse year but they've been very successful being aggressive. They made the playoffs with almost everyone hurt last year, which is a testament to the depth the organization has invested heavily in. 

So tell us, what kind of starting pitching do you think Hays and Santander brings you? 

Depends on whose knocking and who has what. We're obviously not getting a TOR starter, but someone in the middle of the rotation wouldn't hurt. Miami, Minnesota, Atlanta, and teams who need OF help who lose out in FA can make offers. It's not insane to say that we can get value for either of them in a package deal or together. If you have capital to replace them, why not explore the option? 

19 minutes ago, deward said:

No one currently in the O's rotation is going to stand in the way of Rodriguez and Hall if they prove to be ready. Voth/Kremer/Bradish/Wells/etc can all move to the pen if need be. I don't see any reason to let that group stand in the way of signing a better option. I would also not say that the O's have a ton of pitching prospects in the pipeline. It's pretty thin once you get past the top two.

My guess would be at this moment if nothing else happens, that's the plan. Whoever your weakest two starters or whoever gets hurt gets replaced by Hall, GrayRod or both

Wait, did you just point toward a mid-30s pitcher coming off a 5+ ERA as proof the Orioles are willing to outbid their AL East competition on top talent? 

Sounds to me the Blue Jays decided to use their Disney money to by a #2 starter instead of shooting for a #4 for $10 million.

He had the same offer. He chose us. Listen to his interview.

Lyles’ ERA+ Isn’t so off from some of these pitching names being thrown around. At this point, I wouldn’t have a problem if we went with Lyles as another depth/rotation piece, and then that makes the pen deeper too. We can always see what we need around the deadline. 

Michael Brantley should be our top priority. 

11 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Lyles’ ERA+ Isn’t so off from some of these pitching names being thrown around. At this point, I wouldn’t have a problem if we went with Lyles as another depth/rotation piece, and then that makes the pen deeper too. We can always see what we need around the deadline. 

Michael Brantley should be our top priority. 

Austin hedges is more of a priority than Brantley. Brantley’s best days are behind him

And also, most of you guys who are pessimists were also pessimistic last year too. I told y’all we were going to compete last year and surprise, I was proven right. Some of y’all just don’t get what Elias is building. To that, just look at the Astros. Trust the projections by Sig. How many high school draft picks turn AAA-MLB capable players do you need to see before you realize Sig and Elias know their stuff? Hall and Rodriguez are not slouches. Rodriguez especially has ace quality stuff and if he weren’t hurt last year, we would have made the playoffs.

Some of y’all I get the feeling are old men yells at cloud type guys and nothing could be good enough for ya. It’s honestly a bit of a personality defect that bleeds into sports more than your clear and concise ideas for the future of 2023. Because of this, your thoughts are discounted and should be taken with gallons of salt. All good though, carry on sky screechers.

Edited by Explosivo
  • Downvote 3

21 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Hall and Rodriguez are not slouches. Rodriguez especially has ace quality stuff and if he weren’t hurt last year, we would have made the playoffs.

Grayson has never faced a Major League hitter and will be on an innings limit in 2023, and Hall can barely find the strike zone against minor leaguers (50 BBs in 84 MiLB IP in 2022).

Even Elias himself has said that another good starter needs to be acquired from outside the organization.

21 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Some of y’all I get the feeling are old men yells at cloud type guys and nothing could be good enough for ya. It’s honestly a bit of a personality defect that bleeds into sports more than your clear and concise ideas for the future of 2023. Because of this, your thoughts are discounted and should be taken with gallons of salt. All good though, carry on sky screechers.

If your goal for typing this condescending gibberish and then posting it  publicly was to embarrass yourself, then well done.

Mission accomplished 👍

1 hour ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Grayson has never faced a Major League hitter and will be on an innings limit in 2023, and Hall can barely find the strike zone against minor leaguers (50 BBs in 84 MiLB IP in 2022).

Even Elias himself has said that another good starter needs to be acquired from outside the organization.

If your goal for typing this condescending gibberish and then posting it  publicly was to embarrass yourself, then well done.

Mission accomplished 👍

First of all, we can quibble over the quality of hitters he’s faced, for example some have even had more of a cup of coffee like Mercedes, but that only partially illustrates how far off the mark most of you are. Most of y’all here frankly don’t deserve what Elias and Sig and Blood and Holt and Rosenbaum have built here in short order. You don’t respect it and you sure as hell don’t understand it. No matter how well they draft, no matter how far ahead of the curve our young talent is, no matter how much our coaches get out of our kids, you just won’t ever believe and trust what they are doing. It’s hilarious if it weren’t so damned depressing. You belly ache and moan over decisions well out of your control and sure as hell out of theirs. You gloss over Gibson choosing the O’s with similar contracts in place by our rivals. Does Toronto wanting to sign him for similar money mean anything to you? And if other pitchers decide to go elsewhere than the O’s is that Elias’ fault? 

we are young and largely unproven but this will be the last year that moniker will befall us and even with your rainy day parade pissy attitudes, the O’s will continue to prove you wrong, just as they did last year. None of you saw what was coming except those who understand the plan. Most of you seriously can’t grasp how good you have it. Our farm system is number one by miles. We are loaded with talent both in the field and in the bullpen. These guys will continue to progress and make their way up. Until then, we need another stop gap pitcher. Wacha or Lyles will do. We need another backup catcher. Hedges will do and we need another stop gap corner outfielder, there’s a few of those that will do. This is not the year to burn money. The Astros showed you the way. Now is the time to build experience. Now is the time to see what these kids can do, not block their trajectory. 

• Downvote 2

16 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

2022 was the very first time Rodon has ever been sturdy enough to reach 30 starts in a season.

He debuted in 2015.

I get that thinking, but the same could have been said of the Davis contract.

Rodon just ain't the guy to take that gamble on, IMO.

You act like he was a bad pitcher in 2015.

There are many pitchers who are MEH or barely above average, until they learn the act of pitching, or come up with their "out" pitch.

Jake Arrieta comes to mind, Curt Schilling, etc.

As a lefty, and breathing, with decent stats, yes, I would take a flyer on him.

But, we can agree to disagree, no worries, its all good. 

17 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

You act like he was a bad pitcher in 2015.

There are many pitchers who are MEH or barely above average, until they learn the act of pitching, or come up with their "out" pitch.

Jake Arrieta comes to mind, Curt Schilling, etc.

As a lefty, and breathing, with decent stats, yes, I would take a flyer on him.

But, we can agree to disagree, no worries, its all good. 

I didn't say anything about him being good or bad, he just gets injured all the time.

Here's every team' highest addition so far. Nice to see the Angelo's family allowing Elias to keep up.

This is really typical so I guess we really shouldn't be too upset. 

I hope I'm wrong, buy I don't see this family doing anything put pocketing their Disney money.

FB_IMG_1671024733833.thumb.jpg.df2a234cd62519f02a26d2e274b12247.jpg

9 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

So you like the idea of going for it with guys like Adley and Gunnar but trading them after year 3 or 4 for prospects? Fill me in again, but how many WS title has Tamp won?

I think we should give the “Tampa hasn’t won a WS title” argument a rest.   First of all, we all know winning in the postseason is a bit of a crapshoot.  They’ve been to the WS twice, had the best record in the AL three times, won 97 and 96 two other times.  They’ve been good enough to win a WS, they just haven’t done it.   

Second of all, it’s not like Tampa always trades its star players when they’ve been playing 3-4 years.  Longoria was extended and played 10 years for Tampa.  Zobrist was extended and was traded in his 9th year with the team.  Kiermaier was extended and played 9 years for them.  Upton was extended and played 8 years for them.  Crawford was extended and played 9 years for them.   Shields was extended and played 7 years for them.  Price didn’t extend but they held on to him until the trade deadline of the year he was to become a free agent.  So the Tampa model is not as simplistic as some people like to portray it.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I didn't say anything about him being good or bad, he just gets injured all the time.

Ok I get it.

Not sure I agree with your opinion of all the time, I see 2 seasons, he barely pitched, and another a bit more, but the other 5 are above 20 starts or better.

Roch doesnt believe he is coming here, so maybe, this is all just killing time during the winter.