Orioles sign Adam Frazier

eddie83

2 minutes ago, tabletop said:

Frazier has been worth around 2 WAR in 4 of the last 5 seasons and even last year was worth 1 WAR in the worst year of his career. Who in the system can you reasonably expect to come up and produce 2 WAR that also has the versatility to play anywhere?

any of Mateo, Urias, Westburg, Ortiz, and even Norby if you keep him at 2nd.

Edited by owknows

2 minutes ago, owknows said:

I'm guessing not based on what I've seen so far.

My point is if all of our position prospects are so great we should not make any position player additions this year. 

To be clear I’m not saying this is some impact move. We aren’t adding Roberto Alomar. 

1 minute ago, Slight Upward Arc said:

Odor did, for a team that was contending despite their GM saying they weren’t going to win a WC. Odor played way too much, until he got hurt. 

I don’t get the Odor argument over and over again. Gunnar wasn’t up until September. They weren’t sold on Vavra’s glove. 

Odor has nothing to do with 2023. 

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

My point is if all of our position prospects are so great we should not make any position player additions this year. 

To be clear I’m not saying this is some impact move. We aren’t adding Roberto Alomar. 

I think we have such an enormous bottleneck brewing in the middle infield that we're going to have to trade players of significant value before we're able to fully understand what that value is.

And so yes.. we shouldn't be adding middle infielders..

We should if anything be trading them.

Edited by owknows
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t get the Odor argument over and over again. Gunnar wasn’t up until September. They weren’t sold on Vavra’s glove. 

Odor has nothing to do with 2023. 

The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. The team down the stretch last year was contending, and you saw how Elias handled it. Giving AB’s to Odor and Brett Phillips. Giving a spot start to a rookie with no control, to make his MLB debut in a road game that decided the tie breaker between our two teams. 

He’s doing the same thing here. He’s treating 2023 exactly how he did 2022 IMO. He knows a lot of fans will be happy with more .500+ baseball, so he’s going to keep kicking the can down the road. 

2 minutes ago, owknows said:

I think we have such an enormous bottleneck brewing in the middle infield that we're going to have to trade players of significant value before we're able to fully understand what that value is.

And so yes.. we shouldn't be adding middle infielders..

We should if anything be trading them.

They will move on from some of these guys. At some point. Does not have to be now. 

That bottleneck does not exist yet. 

20 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Why is everyone just laughing off the “no shift” for next year?  We don’t know what that is going to do.  The game has been geared towards a shift for a decade. So now players that put the ball in play might have more value. 

Frazier hit better against the shift (.344 wOBA) than without (.263 WOBA). 

3 minutes ago, Slight Upward Arc said:

The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. The team down the stretch last year was contending, and you saw how Elias handled it. Giving AB’s to Odor and Brett Phillips. Giving a spot start to a rookie with no control, to make his MLB debut in a road game that decided the tie breaker between our two teams. 

He’s doing the same thing here. He’s treating 2023 exactly how he did 2022 IMO. He knows a lot of fans will be happy with more .500+ baseball, so he’s going to keep kicking the can down the road. 

So when he calls up a young pitcher in Hall, that is bad? 

Philips had 17 at bats. 17. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

So when he calls up a young pitcher in Hall, that is bad? 

Philips had 17 at bats. 17. 

That’s 17 too many in what should’ve been a playoff race. And yes that was a horrendous decision to start Hall in that situation. Just terrible. The Rays just gave Phillips up. They made the playoffs. Interesting how that works, isn’t it?

Edited by Slight Upward Arc