Orioles sign Adam Frazier

eddie83

Locks to make OD- position players 

Adley, backup C

Mountcastle, Urias, Mateo, Gunnar, Frazier 

Mullins, Hays, Santander  -DH  

That is 10. Plus 2 more likely IMO McKenna makes 11. Stowers 12. 

So with Frazier at both, 6 OF possibilities. 5 infield. No real 1B backup.  

Edited by eddie83

It would be kind of great if Elias just turned full heel on the ghost of Kris Bryant, sent everyone down for 7-8 days, and called Grayson, Westburg, Cowser and Ortiz all up during the first homestand.     Really start building the goodwill.

This is pretty tough for Vavra, but it isn't unimaginable to me the Club projects him simply shy of MLB caliber.

Another small exhale as payroll ticks mid-50's to low-60's.    I have a good deal of faith in Elias' competence to pick players - the monster in the closet for me is simply does he lack any $$$ to bargain with?

At the MLB level, its his N = 1 moment at winning a bid for a position player any decent distance past the MLB minimum.

Keep grinding to find Ramon Urias a good home, even if return some small MLB asset like backup catcher or middle relief.    If Gunnar SS, Jorge Mateo is one Dansby Swanson signing away from being a top option for somebody.

Just like one way out for Kyle Stowers being totally buried is if he's in the mix for Austin Hays position, I suppose Frazier could elbow in on that territory too.

Frazier's 2022 hitting was subpar (though 2022's 612 OPS came out about the same at OPS+ as 2020's 661), but last year the 2022 BP Annual pegged him like "he's a good team's seventh-best hitter".

Just now, waroriole said:

How does signing a useless player to a 1/8 deal constitute punting? To me it’s just bad resource allocation, not a sign that they won’t try. 

Signing Gibson, Frazier, and (if they sign him) Wacha instead of players that actually make the team better in any sort of meaningful way would constitute punting, IMO.

That doesn't necesarily mean we can't still make the playoffs, but it certainly doesn't make it much more likely either.

• Upvote 1

I'm not ruling out a corresponding trade (it was my thought too), but I think this move is meant to add a LHH who can play defense. A starter and/or a super util guy who can get Hays, Mountcastle and Urias/Westburg out of the lineup at our stadium. And I think Elias values that.

And I think Vavra's arm is just too bad to be ML caliber. So I'm guessing he isn't happy about this move.