Poll: Do you like the Adam Frazier signing?

Tony-OH

Do you like the Frazier signing?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think signing Frazier to a 1 yr/ $8 million contract was good or not?

• Yes, It was good
    • No, it was not good

I went with yes. He plays a role and will be able to keep the lineup balanced while also giving guys all over the field days off. The grand scheme of the off season is pretty bad so far (and I can’t imagine that changes at this point) but this signing in a vacuum makes sense to me.  

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 2

No, it makes no sense.  With all the youth we have who could man 2nd base (Vavra, Westburg, Ortiz, etc) signing an aging, expensive vet is foolish.  His .612 OPS last year was terrible, even worse than Odors .632.  Yeah, his WAR was better than Odor at .9 versus -.4, but still.  If we'd signed him for a league minimum to see if we could fix him in spring training or something then maybe that's one thing.  But to invest $8M was just dumb, and we all know at that price he's going to be on the roster all year, no matter how poorly he plays, and with the way our management loves playing the terrible, washed up vets for whatever incomprehensible reasons, he's going to be taking at-bats from the kids who could be part of our long term future.  

Long and short, he's an upgrade over Odor, but at such a higher cost it is a head scratcher.  We either needed to sign someone really good to man 2nd base or we needed to leave it open to the players already on the MLB roster and in the minors.  Frazier is going to be another black hole in the lineup, he'll be blocking younger players playing time, and he will be around all season.  Just a dumb, dumb signing.  Even if we trade 2-3 prospects as some speculate, Frazier is the 'answer' to a question that didn't need asked.  

• Upvote 1

I voted no because there's too much middle infield depth in the organization to pay Frazier $8M to be an everyday player. And Frazier will certainly be an everyday player the Orioles just didn't spend that money for him not to play. 

The only way I might vote yes is because Elias is planning ahead and is going to trade Mateo or Urias freeing up at bats. Even then $8M seems like a lot for a player coming off mediocre season. 

• Upvote 1

I hated Odor with a passion last season. I wanted him DFA'd in June or July, but he stuck around the whole season like a cockroach and inexplicably got regular playing even after Elias and the team stated that he would play less in favor of younger players (which never really happened).

As of right now, Frazier is going to replace Odor as the focus of my hatred, because he's going to be blocking players (Westburg, Ortiz, Norby) that will most likely be better players than Frazier is.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brooks The Great said:

I hated Odor with a passion last season. I wanted him DFA'd in June or July, but he stuck around the whole season like a cockroach and inexplicably got regular playing even after Elias and the team stated that he would play less in favor of younger players (which never really happened).

As of right now, Frazier is going to replace Odor as the focus of my hatred, because he's going to be blocking players (Westburg, Ortiz, Norby) that will most likely be better players than Frazier is.

THIS!!!  Every bit of this.  They basically replaced a terrible Odor with a slightly less terrible and much more expensive Frazier.  Just makes no sense.  

• Upvote 1

Like it, regardless if there is a trade or not. Though i think there will be, anyways it's a safety net if prospects come up and fail wether it be in spring training or in season.... What if? -> Westburg cant hit or struggles in the field, Ortiz comes up and cant hit, Mateo takes steps back not forward(nor remains even to last yr offense)... If Frazier starts hitting like he did in Pitt then he likely becomes an everyday player, slight chance of that. He can also platoon with Hays if Westburg/Ortiz, Mateo force themselves into lineups daily.