Eovaldi signed with Rangers per Moose

wildcard

I could see Elias offering him 2/26 with incentives for starts and innings pitched that could get him to 34M if he stays healthy.   

It will cost the O's their competitive balance pick after the 2nd round of the draft and probably push either Vallimont or Zimmermann to be put on waivers.

It would also push Voth and Wells to the pen.  Probably make it much harder to keep Rules 5 draft pick Politi.

What do you think the odds are that Elias goes for Eovaldi?

Edited by wildcard

1 hour ago, owknows said:

C-3PO: Sir, the possibility of successfully navigating an Eovaldi deal is approximately 3,720 to 1.

Wildcard: Never tell me the odds kid.

I agree ….. I still think Wacha is more likely. ***Unless he’s signed somewhere already and I missed it.

Also, based on Gibson, Frazier, and McCann. I’m not convinced that Elias is actually trying to win.

As I’ve stated, Gibson is ever so slightly +/- Lyles, Frazier isn’t any good anymore. An uptick if your trying to better Odor and McCann is a slightly worse IMO. 

So we’ve made 3 MLB additions and they are mostly lateral at best. But, 

Odor (minimum) vs Frazier $8 million

McCann $2.5 Million vs Chirinos $700,000

Gibson $10 Million vs Lyles ($6 million plus the $1 million buyout)

9 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I agree ….. I still think Wacha is more likely. ***Unless he’s signed somewhere already and I missed it.

Also, based on Gibson, Frazier, and McCann. I’m not convinced that Elias is actually trying to win.

As I’ve stated, Gibson is ever so slightly +/- Lyles, Frazier isn’t any good anymore. An uptick if your trying to better Odor and McCann is a slightly worse IMO. 

I think Gibson and McCann could end up being modest improvements.

The Frazier deal I don't understand. We had better options already on the roster.

4 minutes ago, owknows said:

I think Gibson and McCann could end up being modest improvements.

The Frazier deal I don't understand. We had better options already on the roster.

I understand….. Elias is not trying to win. He’s been given a very modest amount of money to work with. He’s chosen to spread it around over a meaningful acquisition. He’s probably hoping for a new owner with an ego.

6 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I understand….. Elias is not trying to win. He’s been given a very modest amount of money to work with. He’s chosen to spread it around over a meaningful acquisition. He’s probably hoping for a new owner with an ego.

I don't think he's finished yet... and as I said.. the only move he's made that I'd call categorically bad, is Frazier.

And I think that was him trying to be too cute with yet another brilliant reclamation project.

I think Eovaldi’s market has really been hurt by his injury concerns. In the first part of the year, he had his normal velo around 96-97 but then it dropped suddenly to 94 in his June 8 start and never came back. When he came back at the end of the year for two starts to prove he was healthy, he had his lowest velo of the year in the first start (93.6) and then it only bounced back to 94.4 in his final start, where it had been the whole year since his sudden drop off.

If injury concerns are limiting his market, he could be looking at a 1 yr deal or 2 yr with an opt out to prove he is healthy and re-enter FA. However, with the QO attached, that puts him in a really tough spot because not many teams are going to be willing to give up the draft capital for that. As a revenue sharing team that would give up less draft capital, it’s possible he could fall into our laps for a deal like that. The whole point of the wall was to make us a more attractive destination for FA pitchers hoping to rebuild value so maybe that’s all we are offering right now and hoping he settles for that. 

• Upvote 2

I'd be fine if they signed Eovaldi for two years / $30ish million. He's proven he can pitch in the AL East and he has a pretty low floor (low 4.00ish ERA) if he can stay healthy. I really think he's the only remaining free agent pitcher who justifies a mutli-year deal. Wacha will probably get one too, but it will only be because some desperate team is blinded by the anomaly of a season he had last year.  The years of pitchers with pathetic K per 9 rates having sustained success seem to be over. 

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Lyles signed with KC for 2 years $17 million guaranteed.

Not a clear distinction between the two. Some like Lyles better as he is 3 years young, some believe Gibson is better.

I don't agree at all that Elias is not trying to win.    He is relying on his prospects to  graduate and provide improvement.  Adley, Gunnar, Grayson, Westburg,  Stowers and Ortiz to show big improvement.   Bradish, Kremer and Wells are developing as major leaguers.

Gibson, McCann, Givens and Frazier are the veterans to stabilize the team.   Add Means to that is the 2nd half.

These are the players that will power the O's to a playoff berth. Sometimes its not the players that are acquired as much as it is giving the young players playing time.

Don't know if Elias add Eovaldi or Wacha but I would not count that move out.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

You know, it really makes me wonder whether it’d have been more impactful to go after one good player rather than 3-4 not so great ones. 

For example, they could’ve signed Walker instead of Frazier/Gibson ($18m each option) but Walker would have been a significant improvement while Frazier and Gibson won’t move the needle enough to even really be considered additions. 

To answer the OP question, it doesn’t matter. Apathy has set in full force with me and 4th place is the ceiling in 2023 with or without Eovaldi. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Why would he not be trying to win? Are you suggesting he is going to try and tank this year for the high draft pick?