Any interest in Trevor Bauer if he's released?

OrioleLochRaven

The other question that hasn't been brought up is the same one I asked in the Hosmer thread.

If the Dodgers cut him, and he clears waivers, then any team can have him for the minimum salary and the Dodgers have to make up the rest of his contract.

That being the case, he is going to make the same amount of money no matter where he goes.   The Orioles couldn't "bid" against another team for his services.   If his contract is $32 million, and the Orioles offer $2 million and another team offers $1 million, he's getting $32 million either way; it's just a matter of whether the Dodgers are paying $30m or $31m and his new team is paying $1 or $2.   At least that's how I understand it.

So to get him to come here we would have to convince him that, for non-monetary reasons, we are the best choice among however many teams are interested in him.   How do we do that?

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

The other question that hasn't been brought up is the same one I asked in the Hosmer thread.

If the Dodgers cut him, and he clears waivers, then any team can have him for the minimum salary and the Dodgers have to make up the rest of his contract.

That being the case, he is going to make the same amount of money no matter where he goes.   The Orioles couldn't "bid" against another team for his services.   If his contract is $32 million, and the Orioles offer $2 million and another team offers $1 million, he's getting $32 million either way; it's just a matter of whether the Dodgers are paying $30m or $31m and his new team is paying $1 or $2.   At least that's how I understand it.

So to get him to come here we would have to convince him that, for non-monetary reasons, we are the best choice among however many teams are interested in him.   How do we do that?

Make a bunch of 420 and 69 jokes on Twitter.

10 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Someone could give him a second year, options, etc.

2 minutes ago, Barnaby Graves said:

Someone could give him a second year, options, etc.

It would have to be enough to exceed what he would expect to get on the free market after playing out the last year of his current contract.   That's BIG money.   If we were going to spend money that big on a pitcher I think we would have spent it on Rodon or someone.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

It would have to be enough to exceed what he would expect to get on the free market after playing out the last year of his current contract.   That's BIG money.   If we were going to spend money that big on a pitcher I think we would have spent it on Rodon or someone.

Maybe the second year would appeal to him because he's ready to settle down and tired of moving about so much.  He seems like a family man so you never know.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Or trade for him before he is released, which was the postulate of the other multi-page thread on the subject

I'm curious to see, guessing MLB's 30 Clubs will peace out for 2023 due to rust, PR, whatever....does he care about baseball enough to go to Japan?     It'd be interesting to have a Kodai Senga in reverse for the translations.    Put some pitch data out there for a season and if he's still world class he'd help himself (ibid Aroldis if he joins Cuba for WBC).

I know he's invested in running down Gerrit Cole...I don't ding him huge for the purposeful "cheating" as there was a little muckraking to it.    As I understand it there he did for a small percentage of his innings what some were probably doing for a large percentage.    Including possibly, as I'd imagine Bauer hoped, Gerrit Cole.

I suppose, working outside affiliated ball, Kumar Rocker ended up doing pretty well despite his gap year.    Not sure if he'd be the Savannah Bananas thing...

1 minute ago, owknows said:

Or trade for him before he is released, which was the postulate of the other multi-page thread on the subject

Then you are paying big $$$ salary.   Have you seen ANY indication that our team is going to do that?

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Then you are paying big $$$ salary.   Have you seen ANY indication that our team is going to do that?

The postulate of the other thread was that LA would eat a considerable portion of his salary for a player or two in return. As opposed to getting nothing for him.

When he ends up in Toronto or Tampa and wins 18 games and keeps the Orioles out of the playoffs, how many posters on this very board who are adamantly against acquiring Bauer, will return to complain that the O's should have done more to get him? 

All of them. 

• Upvote 2