MLB.com suggests Burnes to Os trade

Sports Guy

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

It seems more likely that the O's would trade 2 years of Santander for prospects than the O's trading those prospects for 2 years of Burnes.   Elias seems to take the long view.   

The long view is fine, but at some point you have to live in the present in order to get results

49 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I was okay with this deal until it got to Bradish. I’m not giving up our #2 starter AND two top 100 prospects for Burnes. No way. 

Adding Burnes changes the entire calculus of the team in 2023. The current rotation is not one that frightens many but put Burnes at the top and now everyone is pitching a spot below where they would be without him. In addition, 2024 with Grayson, Burnes and Means at the top of the rotation should be formidable. 

If there is a way to get Woodruff too.....best not be greedy.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, deward said:

The long view is fine, but at some point you have to live in the present in order to get results

They improved 31 games last year without making this kind of move.   If Adley had been with the team the first quarter of the season they may have won 89 games.  Then add Gunnar, Grayson, Westburg  Ortiz and 4 more months of Stowers and I think Elias is already on a path to the playoffs.   

Trading 4  majors league ready prospects for  2 years of Burnes does not seem like the Elias plan to me.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

I don't mind trading Bradish and Westburg.  And I suppose Cowser has to headline from our side.  But Cade Povich hurts my heart!  

I'd do that trade but I'd to weasel my way out of including Povich!

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Elias seems to take the long view.   

Yeah, I agree with that assessment of Elias.  I do think he's working for a #2-3 type SP in the off-season from lower-level prospects.  But I don't anticipate this type of TOR SP deal in the off-season.   It feels like he would wait to see what type of position the team is in heading into the trade deadline to make this type of move.  

5 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I don't mind trading Bradish and Westburg.  And I suppose Cowser has to headline from our side.  But Cade Povich hurts my heart!  

I'd do that trade but I'd to weasel my way out of including Povich!

Well, that's a .... unique ... perspective!

18 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I was okay with this deal until it got to Bradish. I’m not giving up our #2 starter AND two top 100 prospects for Burnes. No way. 

I actually agree that Bradish could be the one that hurts the most. I would try to do this deal without giving all 3 of those top guys.

17 minutes ago, wildcard said:

They improved 31 games last year without making this kind of move.   If Adley had been with the team the first quarter of the season they may have won 89 games.  Then add Gunnar, Grayson, Westburg  Ortiz and 4 more months of Stowers and I think Elias is already on a path to the playoffs.   

Trading 4  majors league ready prospects for  2 years of Burnes does not seem like the Elias plan to me.

Even Adley can’t add 6 wins over a quarter season. 

As for already being on a path to the playoffs, they might be, but the article answers that point nicely:

But as we’ve seen time and time again, development in baseball is not always linear. If you’re the O’s, you can’t simply sit back and expect progress from within to propel the team forward in 2023

Burnes is a top 5-10 pitcher in MLB and if it’s true we can get him without giving up Henderson or Rodriguez, that’s something I hope Elias is pursuing actively. 

I was going to come in here all like, Oh you won't trade Kyle Bradish, the same Kyle Bradish who had an ERA of 4.90

And then I checked the stats and he had a 3.28 ERA in the second half. From July on he was a pretty great pitcher. His FIP in the first half was 5.57, and in the second half it was 3.73. Funny enough, his xFIP was almost identical in the first and second half--4.02 and 4.01.

I see a guy who started the year off with some struggles, but who also got very unlucky. We have Bradish for six more years, and I think it's reasonable for him to have an ERA around 4 as a starter. But I also think there's upside from that, too. There were games in the second half where Bradish dazzled and was nearly unhittable.

You don't trade six years of an average to above average starting pitcher lightly. As much as I like Burnes, I don't think I want Bradish and two top 100 prospects in the deal--at least without the ability to negotiate an extension for Burnes