Excited about Spring Training

wildcard

I’m going to be in St. Pete from March 6-16 and hope to catch a few games in Sarasota or other places the Orioles will visit while I’m there.   Very excited about it!  If anyone else will be there then, let me know.   

There should be a lot of interesting things to watch, but I’m most interested in the guys on the cusp of reaching the majors - Westburg, Ortiz, Norby, Cowser, and of course Grayson Rodriguez.  

• Upvote 2

Frobby nailed a good bit of it but I am looking forward to Stowers taking a job. I haven't figured out why they aren't as high on him as they might be. It could be me, but it seems he is going to be a "spot starter' this year.....And considering we are still in the rebuild, he needs consistent ab's to see if he can play here. It will kill this 'window' if the auditions stop, to win a few extra games.

As much as I disagree with the direction of the offseason, once baseball is being played again I will let myself get excited and hopeful again. There’s a lot to be happy about in the farm system and I’m grateful for Elias’ work in that regard. I’m excited to see which of the infield crop comes into fruition. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, wildcard said:

43 days a counting down.  https://www.springtrainingcountdown.com

I don't know that a reporting date for the O's has been set but I think this he based on last year's reporting date.

I am excited to see the prospects.   Gunnar, Grayson,  Hall, Westburg, Ortiz, Stowers Cowser, Norby and Vavra.   The competition in the infield should be fun to watch.  I do also want to see what impact McCann has with the pitching staff.  

As the calendar turns to 2023, I think we are in for an exciting season.

I think you left out Maverick Handley 🙂   Sorry, couldn't resist....

Happy New Year to you!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sanity Check said:

I think you left out Maverick Handley 🙂   Sorry, couldn't resist....

Happy New Year to you!!

Hey, you are right.   I do want to see Handley in ST.  He  will be assigned to AAA to start the season but watching him in ST will be one of the things I follow.

• Upvote 1

I feel like Westburg will be showing off his talents to win a job in the majors.   He has power, speed, a good arm, puts up a good OBP and is an RBI machine.   He has done all he needs to do at AAA.   I think he fits in the lineup nicely.  The question is where he plays and how many at bats he  can get.

The O's need offense and Westburg can provide it.

Edited by wildcard

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This season’s success, or lack there of, May rest on the arms of Hall and GRod. I want to see what strides they have made and see if Hall looks like a viable rotation candidate.

What the O’s do with Hall will certainly be among the top stories to follow this spring.   

57 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What the O’s do with Hall will certainly be among the top stories to follow this spring.   

I wish he would consider going with Dayton Layne Hall. It feels like a bad "O"men having a D.L. on our staff.

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m going to be in St. Pete from March 6-16 and hope to catch a few games in Sarasota or other places the Orioles will visit while I’m there.   Very excited about it!  If anyone else will be there then, let me know.   

There should be a lot of interesting things to watch, but I’m most interested in the guys on the cusp of reaching the majors - Westburg, Ortiz, Norby, Cowser, and of course Grayson Rodriguez.  

The Rays will be playing their ST games at the Trop in St. Pete because of damage to their stadium in Port Charlotte. The O's will be at the Trop on March 5th, but that's a day before you get there.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• First 16 starts from: GRod - 5.44 ERA, 4.60 FIP, 1.407 WHIP, 9.6 SO/9, 1.6 HR/9, 3.6 BB/9 Bradish - 5.63 ERA, 4.89 FIP, 1.538 WHIP, 8.9 SO/9, 1.7 HR/9, 3.3 BB/9 Povich - 5.20 ERA, 4.79 FIP, 1.431 WHIP, 7.8 SO/9, 1.4 HR/9, 3.8 BB/9
    • I don't know of anywhere that has exactly what you are looking for. Statcast will tell you for every ball hit how many parks it would have gone out of, but I don't know how you could easily translate to one number of HR added/taken away.  For what it's worth, we were #2 in road HR, #3 in home HR, #4 in road OPS, #8 at home. Slight disadvantage but it's not like it makes the difference between an amazing offense and a bad one. Plus, presumably the other team has the same challenges. Theoretically, it should be an efficiency that we can exploit in building our team. Players that would be more valuable to us than other teams would be: LH power hitters (Gunnar, Kjerstad, Cowser, Mullins, O'Hearn) Speedy left fielder who would be CF on most teams (Cowser) LHP's who can negate opposing LH power hitters (bullpen has a good set of LHP's) RHB's who don't need to hit HR to be productive and/or with opposite field power (Westburg and Urias might fit this but Mountcastle not so much) However, I wonder whether we have gone too far in focusing on developing LHB. Now that we traded Norby, we really don't have much RH in the system. This hurts us when matched up against good LHP.    
    • It’s that last bolded part. Mostly.  What they’re showing in that chart is the run value of the actual outcome of each pitch the batter saw in that zone — not the value of “good take” vs. “bad swing,” as you might assume based on the context. So in the the heart of the plate, for example, everyone’s “take” runs are going to be negative, because taking almost assuredly resulted in a strike every time. So every “take” outcome was negative, and they’re adding up that negative run value for each one to get the total damage done by taking pitches in the middle of the plate. For Adley, that was -13 runs of negative value this year.  On the other hand, you get a wide disparity of values from “swings” in the heart of the plate, and that’s basically dependent on how good the hitter is. Because what they’re looking at is the result of the swing — good hitters do tons of damage on pitches down the middle, but bad hitters still make lots of outs on them. The worst hitter in baseball on pitches in the heart of the plate was Maikel “Just Go Ahead and Bunt Three Times” Garcia. He took almost as many of these pitches as Adley, so his takes in the heart of the plate were worth -12 runs. He also sucked something terrible at hitting them, posting a whopping -19 run value when he swung at pitches in the heart zone. The best hitter in baseball on pitches in the heart of the plate (and top 5 in every zone) was…wait for it…Aaron Judge with +41 run value. Though he was much better than league average at swinging at heart pitches, he still took 160 of them (for strikes), so those were worth -11 runs. He destroyed the pitches he swung at, though, to the tune of +52 runs on swings.    It’s the same throughout all the other zones. So for Adley, his takes were a little below average in the “shadow” zone — meaning the pitches he took around the fringes of the plate were called strikes more than they were called balls. And all the called balls he took in the “chase” and “waste” zones were worth a combined total of +40 runs. Swings in the “shadow” zone usually result in negative value, except for your really elite hit tool guys (Witt, Ramirez, Marte, Alvarez, etc). Which makes sense, because it’s really the so-called “pitcher’s pitch” area. Adley was -14 runs of value added on his swing here, which is not great but not really horrible either.  The last two zones are pretty simple — taking pitches will result in a ball, so all of those are good outcomes. Swinging at them pretty much inevitably will result in a strike or an out, so they’re almost all bad outcomes. Adley was comparatively good in this area, with the value of his ability to lay off bad pitches far outweighing the damage done when he did chase.    In the end, it sort of tells us the same story that we already knew from watching him. He’s pretty good at laying off bad pitches, although he expanded the zone a lot more this year than last (which didn’t seem to work out). He also just inexplicably took tons of good strikes in the heart of the plate (which definitely didn’t work out). Swinging at more bad pitches and less good pitches is certainly part of the recipe for the disastrous 2nd half, I think.
    • Also noting an market move away from long-term SP commitments...  2023-24 off-season saw some FA SP difficulties landing their hoped-for deals 
    • On #10, I think we may experiment with trying Akin as a starter again.  If he were to add a sinker and improve his change-up (a la Chris Sale last year), we may have something.
    • Given an aversion to a long-term commitment to SPs, is there an appetite for an ultra-high AAV on a short term contract? Would a Cole or Snell take a 2 year for $(fill in extravagant amount) deal?  Add some options/hedges as needed.
    • On #7, you would obviously love to lock up Gunnar and Westburg but that’s going to be extremely difficult with Boras. I wouldn’t mind extending Eflin.
  • Popular Contributors