What’s your optimistic case/pessimistic case for the 2023 O’s

Frobby

3 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Low: 75 wins and John Angelos continues to prohibit significant spending on upgrades

High: 88 wins and the team is sold before the December winter meetings (the earlier the better)

They could go 7-155 in 2023 but if they sold the team, it would still be one of the top 5 seasons in Os history.

Pessimism would be injuries. I think the bats and defense is going to be pretty consistent and we have the depth to survive some injuries. However, if we have injuries to the SP staff, or poor performances we’re in a lot of trouble. Because then that will destroy the bullpen too. 

That’s why I’m beating the drum for Wacha and a vet SP on a milb deal. 

As a pretty negative sports fan, perhaps I am just on a positive rebound after this current Ravens/Lamar debacle.  I can't believe the org collectively blew 5 years of cheap Lamar.

Barring incredibly bad injury luck, I think 87-93 wins is realistic.  While I am not thrilled with some of the moves, namely Frazier, I do think Elias added guys who can bounce back from last year, including Frazier.  I also expect enhanced performance from many.

Pitching:  best case is that Kremer, Bradish, Voth and Wells continue to pitch well and stay healthy, GrayRod pitches well right away, Means comes back in mid-season and Gibson has a short leash.  

Worst case:  Means doesn't come back this season, we get first-half Bradish and Nationals Voth, Kremer regresss, GrayRod flashes promise but also struggles, and Gibson is mediocre but stays in the rotation all season due to salary commitments and a lack of other options.  

Hitting:  best case is that we trade Urias and/or Mateo; Gunnar, Westburg and Ortiz hit well out of the gate; Mountcastle bounces back; Frazier is a useful bench players; and Adley continues to improve.  

Worst case:  Urias and Mateo stick around and continue to be mediocre at the plate; Frazier gets most of the AB at 2B and hits like he did in 2022; Westburg, Ortiz and other prospects languish at AAA; Mountcastle and Hays hit a ton of long fly ball outs to LF at OPACY; Gunnar has some growing pains; and Adley continues to improve.  (Like Wildcard, I don't see a worst case scenario for Adley.)  

Range of outcomes--70 wins and 4th/5th place, to 90+ wins and the playoffs. 

• Upvote 1