Ryan Mountcastle 2023

Just Regular

35 minutes ago, LA2 said:

In that scenario, O'Hearn has proven to be a productive alternative. vs. RHP--and his stats vs. LHP (13 PAs) have been stellar too, although even more deeply in defiance of his career record.

Iron sharpens Iron.  Mounty definitely felt the heat of O'Hearn and Co.  He had to change his approach.  Hopefully, he will stay within himself and not get too pull happy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Iron sharpens Iron.  Mounty definitely felt the heat of O'Hearn and Co.  He had to change his approach.  Hopefully, he will stay within himself and not get too pull happy.

Yes, definitely--and he just stole 2nd base off a southpaw and a decent catcher!

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Wow.  He's got a 1.100+ OPS in his 16 games back.  Who saw that coming?  

His expected stats have lagged his actual stats this year and last.

I wonder how much of his recent success is related to limiting his PAs to certain types of pitchers.

26 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

His expected stats have lagged his actual stats this year and last.

I wonder how much of his recent success is related to limiting his PAs to certain types of pitchers.

That’s a fair speculation. I mentioned earlier in the thread that maybe he doesn’t need 500+ABs. Maybe he can be THIS dude playing 4/7 days a week. 

Ryan is leaving Toronto tonight after going

11 - 13

Four Doubles

Three walks

Six RBIs

In the four games he has been on base 14 times. That is bananas.

He came into the series with a .240/.282/450 for a .732 OPS

He's leaving with a .267/.307/.473 good for a .780 OPS

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

Understand his flaws, which have been well and empirically documented.  But damn, that was some series.

and my UPS driver, who is the gold standard, was his high school teammate.  Swears by him as a dude, which is good enough for a cranky old geezer like me,

On 8/2/2023 at 12:18 PM, interloper said:

I would gladly trade most of Mounty's home runs for a singles & doubles approach where he accidentally hits home runs due to the good approach. 

At least for this series and I think before it, he seems to consciously be thinking RF first and pull second.   I would imagine this approach makes him wait longer before making a swing decision and helps him lay off the pitches out of the zone.   I don’t think it will last but it’s nice to dream about it being the “new” Mountcastle.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Love this streak but also remember how good it felt when he hit 3 homers.  Then he sucked…..for a long time. 

He's obviously not going to do this for any extended amount of time but to me he looks different since coming off of the IL. This is the best that I've ever seen him, including his minor league career. I posted on Saturday that he looked like he was getting locked in then. His approach right now is all the difference IMO. I hope for Ryan that he can continue with what he's doing right now because it drastically improves the entire lineup. 

For now you just ride his hot streaks. He's more of the 2012-2016 mold of hitters the Orioles used to have. Power with not a ton of patience. When it works, he crushes everything. When it doesn't, you wonder if we can even put him in the lineup. We'll see what happens in 2024+, some dudes on the horizon. 

Anyone else hear the question in today's postgame interview about the Blue Jays players touching him?  I noted one time where Vlad grabbed RMC's back pocket and held onto it for a time and wondered what the heck?

He explained that whenever he'd get to a base, the player there would touch his jersey or whatever to try to get some of his mojo to rub off on them. 

I loved that. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, banks703 said:

Ryan is leaving Toronto tonight after going

11 - 13

Four Doubles

Three walks

Six RBIs

In the four games he has been on base 14 times. That is bananas.

He came into the series with a .240/.282/450 for a .732 OPS

He's leaving with a .267/.307/.473 good for a .780 OPS

Melanie said in the post-game that his 11 - 14 in a four game series is a franchise record.