Grayson Rodriguez Expectations

Sports Guy

I expected better at this point in the season, but I can't say I'm completely surprised.  So give him all his innings at the ML level this year and chalk it up to investment.

He sure did look ineffective tonight though...

He sucked tonight that's for sure but he was also pretty darn good against the best offense in baseball his previous start. He's going to take his lumps this year. I'm pretty sure we'll see more of what we saw against Tampa and more of what we saw tonight from him the rest of the season. The experience he's gaining this year learning to pitch to big league hitters can't be duplicated at AAA. I believe it'll pay dividends down the road.

Edited by jrobb21613

I'm really surprised he has struggled this much. We're talking about a number one pitching prospect here. Not just an Oriole number one pitching prospect but an MLB number one pitching prospect so I don't know what to make of this. I think he should stay up for now but I don't think you can just chalk everything up to inexperience. He can't be throwing the same way he did when he set the minor leagues on fire for the last 3 or 4 years so they're going to have to figure out what's going on. 

Very few Oriole pitching prospects ever actually do much as Orioles.  I think we are cursed.  We must of done something bad in a previous lifetime and are being tortured in this lifetime to be an Oriole fan.  Maybe we made a deal with the devil  having four 20 game winners in one season and are now living in an endless universe of futility.  

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Very few Oriole pitching prospects ever actually do much as Orioles.  I think we are cursed.  We must of done something bad in a previous lifetime and are being tortured in this lifetime to be an Oriole fan.  Maybe we made a deal with the devil  having four 20 game winners in one season and are now living in an endless universe of futility.  

Maybe not endless, but just really long cycles... Seems like there were a few decades where we could never develop any hitters. Glad that's turning around (I hope--not proven yet!)

Edited by now

4 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

That works when all you care about is player development but we are trying to win ball games here. Grayson may still give us the best chance to do that but that could change if any of the AAA guys step up. You could say the same thing about Hall. Maybe it's time to give him a shot and see if he can learn on the fly. 

You're not wrong, but winning and player development go together in relation to the Orioles. 

I don't think sending him down at this point is going to help...there may come a point where they are forced to but not yet. Being up with Holt, Adley and so on should present a chance to figure some things out. A few more starts like tonight...then it may be necessary.

7 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I take "not giving in" to mean not giving the batter a pitch to hit, even if it means risking a walk. Pretty much every batter in the 4th inning got a meatball over the plate. Isn't that the definition of giving in? 

I think a meatball is a lack of command. Not giving in, IMO, is having the confidence to throw strikes even if you don’t have your best stuff. 

In other words he doesn’t nibble. 

6 hours ago, jrobb21613 said:

He sucked tonight that's for sure but he was also pretty darn good against the best offense in baseball his previous start. He's going to take his lumps this year. I'm pretty sure we'll see more of what we saw against Tampa and more of what we saw tonight from him the rest of the season. The experience he's gaining this year learning to pitch to big league hitters can't be duplicated at AAA. I believe it'll pay dividends down the road.

Half his starts have been good and half have been bad. No rhyme or reason as to the quality of opponent. Pitched good against the Rangers and Braves Pitched bad against arguably the worst team ,the A's and one of the worst the Royals.Also pitched two good games against the Tigers  

The Orioles are 6-2 in games Rodriguez (2-1) has started this season, but his ERA is one of the worst among American League starters and his 1.73 WHIP is the worst among Baltimore starters. He pitched well against the Tampa Bay Rays last week, but that outing was sandwiched between his two worst this season, as he’s surrendered 16 runs in his past 12 2/3 innings.

Edited by Going Underground

8 hours ago, wildcard said:

If he can land his breaking pitches and get ahead in the count he will be OK.   But if he keeps throwing pitching in the middle of the plate both the Jays and Yankees/ Rangers are not going to be kind to GRod.   

3.2 IP vs KC and 3.1 vs the Angels.  I don't want to see him in a hostile place like Toronto.   I am not sure he is ready for that.   The Rays were at home.

Sending GRod down,  have him work on his control and  bringing him back when the schedule is not so tough might be better.

Yes, that’s what you do to an elite pitching prospect…you act scared and doubt him. Seems like an excellent plan.

7 hours ago, vab said:

I'm really surprised he has struggled this much. We're talking about a number one pitching prospect here. Not just an Oriole number one pitching prospect but an MLB number one pitching prospect so I don't know what to make of this. I think he should stay up for now but I don't think you can just chalk everything up to inexperience. He can't be throwing the same way he did when he set the minor leagues on fire for the last 3 or 4 years so they're going to have to figure out what's going on. 

It is frustrating to see other teams top prospects come up and immediately have success while we justify his lack of success and say that it happens and it’s all an adjustment.

It would be nice to just have someone come up and ball out from the get go.

21 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

The original study was from 2011 and updated in 2018. Has it gotten better with all the new data? We shall see.

About 70% of Baseball America top 100 prospects fail. Position player prospects succeed much more often than pitching prospects. About 60% of position players ranked in Baseball America's top 20 succeed in the majors. About 40% of pitchers ranked in the top 20 succeed in the majors

5 minutes ago, Going Underground said:
29 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

The original study was from 2011 and updated in 2018. Has it gotten better with all the new data? We shall see.

About 70% of Baseball America top 100 prospects fail. Position player prospects succeed much more often than pitching prospects. About 60% of position players ranked in Baseball America's top 20 succeed in the majors. About 40% of pitchers ranked in the top 20 succeed in the majors

Expand  

To me he has to learn the true consequence of bad pitch selection, bad pitch placement, etc. That doesn’t happen in the minors, where his stuff can get him by on mistakes. 

• Upvote 1