O's in World Baseball Classic

rm5678

3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

I was listening this morning to a replay on the radio. I didn’t know his wife was diagnosed with cancer when she was 5 months pregnant with their second child and has since passed away. His children were in attendance last night. 

Quite a remarkable story that he worked his way back to pitch in the WBC. Can’t imagine the emotions he was going thru. 

Wow, that's awful. Did not hear about that. I'm glad his children were able to enjoy last night with him at least.

On 3/13/2023 at 9:45 AM, emmett16 said:

Santander looks like he is poised to have a massive year.  He exudes confidence and the stroke is so smooth and powerful.  I think he has another gear in him that we will see this year.  

Really need Santander to step up this year.  The O's need another elite bat.  Obviously not adding one in free agency and it might be too much to expect Gunnar to provide it in his rookie year.

3 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Really need Santander to step up this year.  The O's need another elite bat.  Obviously not adding one in free agency and it might be too much to expect Gunnar to provide it in his rookie year.

Santander will be fine…if he stays healthy.

Hope there's no reason Anthony was taken out after two batters in the 4th inning today.   Anyone watching?   I can't, at work.

It's a pretty meaningless game, Venezuela has already clinched the #1 spot in pool play.   But Anthony is the only substitution so far in the game.

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

Hope there's no reason Anthony was taken out after two batters in the 4th inning today.   Anyone watching?   I can't, at work.

It's a pretty meaningless game, Venezuela has already clinched the #1 spot in pool play.   But Anthony is the only substitution so far in the game.

Not seeing anything specific, but it looks lie they pulled Altuve, Sal Perez, and Gimenez all out of the game around the same time

Not O's related but after Puerto Rico pulled off the big upset to eliminate Dominican Republic a few minutes ago, Puerto Rico (and MEts) closer Edwin DIaz was jumping up and down celebrating and suffered what appears to be a major knee injury.   Stretchered off.   He was in tears, as were several of his teammates.

17 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Not O's related but after Puerto Rico pulled off the big upset to eliminate Dominican Republic a few minutes ago, Puerto Rico (and MEts) closer Edwin DIaz was jumping up and down celebrating and suffered what appears to be a major knee injury.   Stretchered off.   He was in tears, as were several of his teammates.

That’s awful. This is the type of thing that could end this event, which would suck. 

Switched to the USA game immediately after the last out so I just missed it.  Really heart wrenching.  Hopefully it will turn out to be less severe than it looks but it doesn't look good.  Doubly sad after an emotional victory.  Plus his brother is on the team and was celebrating the victory with him... until.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s awful. This is the type of thing that could end this event, which would suck. 

No it isn't.

This was a non contract freak injury.

This is up there with tripping over a dugout step.

The WBC is a pretty solid success overall, even if the USA has a hard time getting players to suit up.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I don’t think it’s likely to bring an end to it, but going forward I doubt you see many long term contracts doled out that don’t have a clause for injuries sustained outside the organization. 

MLB wants the WBC.  Teams are part of MLB.   Teams putting clauses in to make it less likely stars will participate seems counter intuitive to me.

43 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

MLB wants the WBC.  Teams are part of MLB.   Teams putting clauses in to make it less likely stars will participate seems counter intuitive to me.

Disagree. MLB wants WBC, teams....they just put up with it. But the more this damages the Mets competitively and devalues the 5 year extension (richest for a reliever in MLB history) that they just signed, the more teams aren't going to be willing to risk their top assets without some level of protection. Maybe they can insure contracts against WBC participation, but I think it's more likely that the WBC loses some star power in the future, as teams won't want to risk their financial investments. And I won't blame them one iota. If I sign a player to a $100+ million dollar contract, I expect either exclusivity of their services, or contractual protection from injury that devalues the consideration that I paid for. This was bound to happen eventually. It will change things. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Disagree. MLB wants WBC, teams....they just put up with it. But the more this damages the Mets competitively and devalues the 5 year extension (richest for a reliever in MLB history) that they just signed, the more teams aren't going to be willing to risk their top assets without some level of protection. Maybe they can insure contracts against WBC participation, but I think it's more likely that the WBC loses some star power in the future, as teams won't want to risk their financial investments. And I won't blame them one iota. If I sign a player to a $100+ million dollar contract, I expect either exclusivity of their services, or contractual protection from injury that devalues the consideration that I paid for. This was bound to happen eventually. It will change things. 

If he blew out his arm pitching, I'd be more inclined to agree with you.   But tearing your ACL jumping up and down with your teammates celebrating?   Is that really "WBC related"?   It could have happened in a team ping pong tournament in the clubhouse in spring training.   It wasn't even a "dogpile" injury.   All I can compare it too is that LH power hitter  for the Angels whose name escapes me at the moment, 10 or 15 years ago, who jumped on home plate to celebrate a walkoff HR, and had a badly broken leg.   A total fluke t hat you can't really say is a result of playing the game.