“Winning Fixes Everything”

Sports Guy

49 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

It’s hilarious to me that people think:

1. This is new

2. All teams were not doing this 

I don't think most people think it's new nor that it's isolated.  People just get shocked and appalled for discussion boards and twitterverse for all sorts of internal/external reasons.

Baseball has always had a 'wink-wink-nod-nod' type relationship with cheating (or at least what is/isn't considered cheating).  From substances on balls or shrinking them, to the guy on second base (or AB) sneaking a peak at the C, to 'leaning on a tag' to give a slight push off a bag...  When the systems and public nature of them have grown to where 'plausible deniability' is reasonable.

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Nope, the names in that part of the drama fit.    S was for Sig and for slower, and Fast preferred fast.

Of course that was within the context of the Astros innovating culture.     Some of how the book framed the appeal of BAL for Sig was the opportunity to reiterate some of the beginning stuff.     I'm sure the frontier has kept moving the last half decade.     Clearly 2023's cutting edge wisdom involves ongoing constraint (ahem, wise and judicious usage) in the deployment of your best players!

I haven't quite finished cover to cover but have read all the Elias index pages and haven't encountered anything on fidelity yet, so unless an insinuation is hidden on an un-indexed page, I'm going to go with all those bits are Twitter-sphere rumors, not anything Drellich wrote.

I haven’t got there either but judging how he writes about these people involved it doesn’t seem like he’d discuss these topics. There’s not much at all about their personal lives except how they relate to their jobs. 

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Nope, the names in that part of the drama fit.    S was for Sig and for slower, and Fast preferred fast.

Of course that was within the context of the Astros innovating culture.     Some of how the book framed the appeal of BAL for Sig was the opportunity to reiterate some of the beginning stuff.     I'm sure the frontier has kept moving the last half decade.     Clearly 2023's cutting edge wisdom involves ongoing constraint (ahem, wise and judicious usage) in the deployment of your best players!

I haven't quite finished cover to cover but have read all the Elias index pages and haven't encountered anything on fidelity yet, so unless an insinuation is hidden on an un-indexed page, I'm going to go with all those bits are Twitter-sphere rumors, not anything Drellich wrote.

Good to hear. Drellich shouldn’t be writing about that anyway.

32 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I don't think most people think it's new nor that it's isolated.  People just get shocked and appalled for discussion boards and twitterverse for all sorts of internal/external reasons.

Baseball has always had a 'wink-wink-nod-nod' type relationship with cheating (or at least what is/isn't considered cheating).  From substances on balls or shrinking them, to the guy on second base (or AB) sneaking a peak at the C, to 'leaning on a tag' to give a slight push off a bag...  When the systems and public nature of them have grown to where 'plausible deniability' is reasonable.

Sneaking a peak at the catcher’s signals isn’t cheating.  If a team is sloppy enough to let a baserunner or coach steal their signs, that’s their problem.  But there was a specific directive against using technology to steal signs, that was directly violated by the Astros.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Sneaking a peak at the catcher’s signals isn’t cheating.  If a team is sloppy enough to let a baserunner or coach steal their signs, that’s their problem.  But there was a specific directive against using technology to steal signs, that was directly violated by the Astros.  

Whether sneaking a peak at the catcher is cheating or not wasn't my point.  But it's definitely part of those 'unwritten rules' of the game that sets the stage for this conversation.  It's part of the spirit of the law vs. the letter of the law debate.  

35 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Whether sneaking a peak at the catcher is cheating or not wasn't my point.  But it's definitely part of those 'unwritten rules' of the game that sets the stage for this conversation.  It's part of the spirit of the law vs. the letter of the law debate.  

I think players on the field using their wits to figure out what the other team is doing vs a team orchestrating an elaborate scheme involving electronic equipment, AFTER being warned to cut it out, is a pretty clear delineation that any team should be able to navigate.

2 minutes ago, deward said:

I think players on the field using their wits to figure out what the other team is doing vs a team orchestrating an elaborate scheme involving electronic equipment, AFTER being warned to cut it out, is a pretty clear delineation that any team should be able to navigate.

And PEDs were banned in 1991 too.  Wink-wink...

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Who knew that banging a trash can qualifies as "using technology". 😄 Obviously I kid, but that was the thought that crossed my mind when I read your post.

16 hours ago, deward said:

I'm not sure what your point is here. 

You seem like you're trying to determine the brass tacks line between what's cheating and what isn't.  I'm just pointing out that baseball's adherence to its own rules (written or unwritten) is more nuanced than what's right and wrong.  My post was never about specific ways of playing (cheating or not).  It's about our grinning approach to those who push the limits of the rulebook.  It's not new.  It's not appalling.  We joke about.  We think it's clever.  We have quotes like Weaver's earlier in this thread.  We have thoughts that say if the opponent isn't smart enough then it's on them.  Unless, of course, it's against our guys or gets "too technical" or too openly "unfair" on a different plain of our collective moral codes (i.e. for the kids, health, optics of fairness).

Did Bobby Thompson know what pitch was coming when he hit the 'shot heard around the world'?  Yes, he did.  But he framed it as "more no than yes."  (wink-wink)

Focus on the Giants’ Cheating Scandal of 1951 – Society for American Baseball Research (sabr.org)