Jackson Holliday 2023

Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

That’s a fair point. Whoever his dad was a minor league player in the 1990’s so no big salary there. Plus he grew up in the Dominican. I’m not sure how many times you’ve visited the DR, but let’s just say I know from first hand experience that there is a BIG difference between life there and here. Maybe he was one of the fortunate few there? But if his life resembled anything close to the average young person growing up in the DR, it’s safe to say that would be MUCH DIFFERENT than a Jackson Holliday, son of Matt.

I try get there every other year or so depending on surf forecasts and free time.  Money goes a long way.   Yes, the majority of the working class has a very basic life.  I just wouldn’t go calling someone impoverished unless I knew w/o a doubt that was the case.  

And who knows, maybe Jackson’s situation allows him to take a lesser deal that will get him to the majors quicker, allow him to establish himself as an MLBer earlier, and cash in on the second contract.  At the end of the day the agent works for the player and is paid to look out for their interests no matter what they may be.  

42 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Holliday is not taking any kind of deal with team options. Do you known who his agent is? 

His life circumstance is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from Wander. Wander comes from an impoverished background. Holliday grew up in privilege with his dad being a multimillionaire ball player.

I’m not saying that an extension is not possible, but we are going to have to give him  “the bag”. There will be no extremely team friendly deal with a Boras client. We are going to have to pay up, as we should if he is truly as special as he appears.

Opt outs would have to be included to reach any agreement with Jackson Holliday on a long term contract right now with Boras as his agent.

Just now, emmett16 said:

I try get there every other year or so depending on surf forecasts and free time.  Money goes a long way.   Yes, the majority of the working class has a very basic life.  I just wouldn’t go calling someone impoverished unless I knew w/o a doubt that was the case.  

And who knows, maybe Jackson’s situation allows him to take a lesser deal that will get him to the majors quicker, allow him to establish himself as an MLBer earlier, and cash in on the second contract.  At the end of the day the agent works for the player and is paid to look out for their interests no matter what they may be.  

First let me say, if you were offended by my choice of wording I sincerely apologize. I grew up that way, so I’m not offended to describe the reality of what it is. But if we are being objective and realistic, there was almost certainly a difference in terms of access between the life experiences of Jackson Holliday and Wander Franco.

As far as my response to your second paragraph, all of that could be true, it’s just not very likely. He’s on the fast track to the Bigs, he doesn’t need to take a deal to get him there any quicker. His talent is going to do that. He also may not be as financial incentivized as some, given that he grew up the son of a multimillionaire professional baseball player. He is not in desperate need for cash nor is he going to be enamored with the fortune and fame given who his father was and his exposure to that lifestyle from a young age.

Finally, I think you may be underestimating the power of the Boras Corp. Players don’t chose them normally and then not trust them and say “hey you work for me”. Boras doesn’t need Jackson Holliday. I believe that his corporation has made something like a billion dollars. I don’t see players telling him what to do with that type of power dynamic. If anything they hired him because they believe in his ability to get them the best deal(s) possible.

8 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Opt outs would have to be included to reach any agreement with Jackson Holliday on a long term contract right now with Boras as his agent.

Probably. But a JRod sized contract. Not a 10/200 type deal. I don’t see Jackson Holliday taking a Wander Franco team extremely team friendly type of deal.

But heck, I hope I’m wrong 🤞 🙏

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

First let me say, if you were offended by my choice of wording I sincerely apologize. I grew up that way, so I’m not offended to describe the reality of what it is. But if we are being objective and realistic, there was almost certainly a difference in terms of access between the life experiences of Jackson Holliday and Wander Franco.

Uh, yeah.

I think it's pretty fair to say Jackson Holliday likely grew up "more comfortable" than 99.999% of all humanity, not just Wander Franco. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

We should be able to buy out 2 years of FA.  So we can get him for like a 10-12 year deal with an 8 year opt out.

8 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

As far as my response to your second paragraph, all of that could be true, it’s just not very likely. He’s on the fast track to the Bigs, he doesn’t need to take a deal to get him there any quicker. His talent is going to do that. He also may not be as financial incentivized as some, given that he grew up the son of a multimillionaire professional baseball player. He is not in desperate need for cash nor is he going to be enamored with the fortune and fame given who his father was and his exposure to that lifestyle from a young age.

Finally, I think you may be underestimating the power of the Boras Corp. Players don’t chose them normally and then not trust them and say “hey you work for me”. Boras doesn’t need Jackson Holliday. I believe that his corporation has made something like a billion dollars. I don’t see players telling him what to do with that type of power dynamic. If anything they hired him because they believe in his ability to get them the best deal(s) possible.

Not offended at all - just saying I wouldn’t speculate on someone’s background w/o facts.  

Yea, I don’t think he will sign a friendly deal.  But, with that said - we all have no idea what his priorities are.  

16 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

I remember something Weams used to say when Manny was coming up. "This is what they look like." That popped into my head about Holliday tonight. 

It blows my mind that after watching Adley  & Gunnar light up the minors Jackson is making them look like children.  The kid is the complete package.  

31 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Even if his dad hadn't made over $100M in his playing career, being 1-1 alone makes the early extension more difficult. The $8M+ he's already received makes his downside risk significantly less of an issue vs. someone who got a SB under $1M.

18 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

It blows my mind that after watching Adley  & Gunnar light up the minors Jackson is making them look like children.  The kid is the complete package.  

while looking like more of a child than anyone we've seen in a while IMO. 

He's off the charts in the "hasn't shaved yet" school of scouting

3 hours ago, emmett16 said:

A year ago or so Holliday wasn't really in the conversation for us to take at 1-1. A lot of people thought that if we did draft him it would be an underslot move to save money, rather than because Elias thought he was the best player. Right now it's pretty much the conventional wisdom that Holliday was the best player drafted last year, maybe in several years (since Alex Bregman in 2015?). 

7 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Say he gets promoted to AA and continues to put up similar ungodly offensive numbers, what would it take to sign Holliday long term (10-15 years)? Would 10/200 with some additional team options get it done this year or next? That’s more than what the Rays gave Franco, but JH can probably afford to hold out for a bigger contract than the Tampa offer.

I know that extending Adley and Gunnar should be / will be higher priorities, but my gut tells me Holliday has real potential to be the next in line for the Brooks / Cal iconic lifetime Oriole class should ownership decide to extend him early. Doing so would also announce to the baseball world that the Orioles were no longer the cheapest guys in town, which the fan base really needs to hear. 

Holliday comes from an extremely wealthy family. He comes from money beyond 99% of American's wildest imaginations. So the leverage isnt there. He doesnt have to weigh to options of taking a smaller deal for financial security. He already is financially secure. A lot of these pre arb deals are made with Hispanic players who come from abject poverty.