Jackson Holliday 2023

Sports Guy

12 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I knew there would be talk about Holliday because of his heater he's currently on. He's certainly very advanced, and significantly ahead of where even Elias thought he would be at based on his comment last night.

Saying that, I'm the last person who wants to stifle conversation, but this whole sign him to an extension talk is silly. C'mon now, how about we just enjoy a prospect doing historic stuff statistically without getting into Boros, Angelos and Elias' risk aversion. 

There is plenty of time to talk about that with Holliday when he makes he debut with the Orioles and I'm sure the same posters will have this discussion again. But maybe, just maybe, we limit this premature conversation until he's actually in an Orioles uniform? Sometimes you just need to enjoy a young man playing baseball without talking about the business aspects of the game that will NEVER EVER happen with the Orioles for lots of reason.

Back to Holliday's on field performance, if he keeps this up they will start walking him a lot which means he will need to be promoted to challenge him. Bowie does not have a real SS prospect so there is playing time available for him there.

I would not be surprised if he's not moved to Bowie after Memorial Day.

What he's doing is very, very special for sure.

I agree 100% about it being silly to talk about extending a 1st year minor leaguer long before any major league player like Adley is considered. And that's nothing to take away from Jackson Holliday. He's doing great so far and earning his way up the ladder. But there have been many players in history who have climbed the ladder only to fall back down. There's even been guys like Cody Bellinger who won rookie of the year and then watched their performance fall off a cliff.  So Jackson will have to continue to earn his way into the big leagues, and get paid more when he's shown signs that he can handle the big stage of the top level of Major League Baseball.

But, fans will be fans and Jackson is giving fans something to be excited about. As a result, we get the silly talk about extending an exciting top prospect long before he ever takes a major league at bat.

Bowie does not have a real SS prospect so there is playing time available for him there.

You're not a fan of Ceasar Prieto, Adam Hall, or Colin Burns? They seem like prospects that can hold down the fort at middle infield for Bowie.

20 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

You're not a fan of Ceasar Prieto, Adam Hall, or Colin Burns? They seem like prospects that can hold down the fort at middle infield for Bowie.

Prieto doesn't have the arm for SS; and neither Collin Burns (7 day IL) nor Adam Hall (60 day IL) has played a game so far in2023 (and Hall had mostly transitioned to the OF in 2022, and hasn't played SS since 2021)

Edited by CharmCityHokie

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:
12:56
Kyle: Does Jackson Holliday have a chance to play in the majors this year if he earns a promotion to AA and has a wRC+ of 200 again for 40 games?

12:56
Avatar Dan Szymborski: I think so

I don’t think that’s a crazy opinion.  But I don’t think that the predicate in the question posed (wRC+ of 200 in 40 games at AA) is very likely, even though Holliday has posted a wRC+ over 200 in the 31 games he’s played at low and hi A so far.  I’d love to see him put up those numbers and put this question to the test. 

I am not saying there is any way he signs any sort of extension given his father’s wealth and Boras, but if you are trying to convince him to the best way is going to be to move him quickly and show that you believe he is a generational type talent like an A-Rod, Machado, etc…

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think that’s a crazy opinion.  But I don’t think that the predicate in the question posed (wRC+ of 200 in 40 games at AA) is very likely, even though Holliday has posted a wRC+ over 200 in the 31 games he’s played at low and hi A so far.  I’d love to see him put up those numbers and put this question to the test. 

I agree. I do not expect Holliday torch AA ball immediately, but if he does that will be a pleasant surprise. More importantly, I don't see the utility in keeping him at A ball if hes overmatching hitters.

Cherry picking a few other South Atlantic League guys from recent years - Holliday now at about 80 PA and 1.200 OPS.

2022 - Henry Davis 1.035 in 100 PA, Kyle Manzardo 1.072 in 275 PA, Cesar Prieto 1.000 in 105 PA

2021 - Yainer Diaz 1.219 in 105 PA, Joe Perez 1.120 in 109 PA, Justin Foscue 1.143 in 150 PA

2020 - n/a

2019 - Sam Huff 1.165 in 114 PA, Trey Harris 1.031 in 230 PA, Alec Bohm 1.036 in 93 PA

Davis and Bohm the other top draft pedigree guys, and they were done in about the number of PA Holliday will have after this weekend.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He also looked good in ST but SSS. He’s going to get a lot of ABs in Bowie. That will be the litmus test. He could get a ton of ABs in Bowie, then a late season taste of AAA. That’s not far fetched. 

I think it’s more likely that he plays in the majors than AAA this season.  I don’t think either is extremely likely. 

10 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Cherry picking a few other South Atlantic League guys from recent years - Holliday now at about 80 PA and 1.200 OPS.

2022 - Henry Davis 1.035 in 100 PA, Kyle Manzardo 1.072 in 275 PA, Cesar Prieto 1.000 in 105 PA

2021 - Yainer Diaz 1.219 in 105 PA, Joe Perez 1.120 in 109 PA, Justin Foscue 1.143 in 150 PA

2020 - n/a

2019 - Sam Huff 1.165 in 114 PA, Trey Harris 1.031 in 230 PA, Alec Bohm 1.036 in 93 PA

Davis and Bohm the other top draft pedigree guys, and they were done in about the number of PA Holliday will have after this weekend.

Interesting comps.  (And seeing Sam Huff made me laugh for some reason!) 

Bohm's 1.036 in 2019 was in A ball, not A+ (it at least rhymes with your point though).  He had 170 PAs in A+ ball that summer at age 22.  Davis was 22 and Manzardo was 21 in 2022.  That says a lot about what Jackson's talent.

Bohm was in a lacking Philly system then.  Davis wasn't blocked by any C's.  Manzardo (who I would put his bat a grade above those guys) was a bit slower because of the Rays org depth.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, baltfan said:

I am not saying there is any way he signs any sort of extension given his father’s wealth and Boras, but if you are trying to convince him to the best way is going to be to move him quickly and show that you believe he is a generational type talent like an A-Rod, Machado, etc…

His talent and success are going to move him quickly. We are already talking about a jump to AA in less than 2 months of his first pro season. He’s going to have to really fall off and stumble not to get to the bigs by this time next year. He appears to be that good and advanced as a hitter.

I’m not saying that he’s a Soto, or a Harper, or even a Machado. But sometimes there are these rare occasions when guy’s abilities are so advanced when they become pros, that they are just able to handle it all, no matter what’s thrown at them. And the more that they succeed, the more confident that they grow. 

4 hours ago, Mr-splash said:

I agree. I do not expect Holliday torch AA ball immediately, but if he does that will be a pleasant surprise. More importantly, I don't see the utility in keeping him at A ball if hes overmatching hitters.

I think it’s just a matter of when in the next 5 weeks he gets promoted, unless he gets hurt or suddenly takes a U-turn.   Next week wouldn’t shock me; end of June wouldn’t shock me.  Anything later than that would raise my eyebrows.  

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I remember people saying it was crazy to think he could be up in 2024. 

People seem to forget what being the #1 pick means.

I think people remember some guy named Adley Rutschman.  Took him THREE years to make his debut!   ;)     Plus he was much older.   

I would be curious to see a detailed look at how Holliday is performing at low A and high A compared to the last several 1:1 picks.