Jackson Holliday 2023

Sports Guy

20 minutes ago, Mr-splash said:

SS and 2B are the only positions that pretty much require a body type to be effective. Baseball players tend to come in all sizes and shapes. But middle infielders tend to be lean. Ripken was 6'4", but played at a lean 200 pounds. You cant have a spare tire or look start pumping iron all day long and play SS or 2B in the MLB very well.

You said this yesterday and it makes even less sense today.

You are an Orioles fan right?

Have been for a bit?

You ever see a guy by the name of Schoop play Second?

Easy to spot, was built like a linebacker from the 80's.  Still in the league.   

9 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Steps in the bucket and still hits the ball 400 feet to the opposite field, off a pitcher who's eight years older than he is. 

If the guy is 8 years older than Holliday and still pitching in hi A, he’s probably not much of a pitcher.  

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If the guy is 8 years older than Holliday and still pitching in hi A, he’s probably not much of a pitcher.  

Will Kincanon, age 27, was rehabbing at A+ Winston Salem. As far as I can tell, last night was only the second time he's pitched in two years. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Have been for a bit?

Alex Rodriguez, Troy Tulowitki, Dan Uggla, Brandon Crawford. 

1 hour ago, joelala said:

Alex Rodriguez, Troy Tulowitki, Dan Uggla, Brandon Crawford. 

A-Rod was about 6'4" 200 pounds on the Mariners. Troy Tulowitzki about the same size. Where are all these hulking middle infielders? Maybe it's a good think Holliday isnt huge considering what position he plays.

1 hour ago, Mr-splash said:

A-Rod was about 6'4" 200 pounds on the Mariners. Troy Tulowitzki about the same size. Where are all these hulking middle infielders? Maybe it's a good think Holliday isnt huge considering what position he plays.

Miguel Tejada is listed on BB-ref at 5’9”, 220 lbs.   I wouldn’t have called him lean.  

Anyway, I’m not sure if there’s any real point to this discussion.  There’s going to be exceptions to any generalization.   What’s it got to do with Holliday?  He’s got room to put on a few pounds of muscle without anyone thinking he needs to move off SS.

I haven’t read much commentary on his defense.   He’s only made 2 errors on the year, which is pretty steady for a 19 year at A/A+.   It’s pretty much impossibke to get good statistical information on range or arm for minor leaguers.   The range stats available on BB-ref are very rudimentary and essentially meaningless.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Miguel Tejada is listed on BB-ref at 5’9”, 220 lbs.   I wouldn’t have called him lean.  

Anyway, I’m not sure if there’s any real point to this discussion.  There’s going to be exceptions to any generalization.   What’s it got to do with Holliday?  He’s got room to put on a few pounds of muscle without anyone thinking he needs to move off SS.

I haven’t read much commentary on his defense.   He’s only made 2 errors on the year, which is pretty steady for a 19 year at A/A+.   It’s pretty much impossibke to get good statistical information on range or arm for minor leaguers.   The range stats available on BB-ref are very rudimentary and essentially meaningless.  

The moment Manny bulked up he stopped being a gold glove caliber defender. That's what this has to do with Holliday. So all this bulking up talk should be viewed with some perspective. 

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My few looks at him at SS is that he’s going to make all of the plays but I would guess that he’d rate behind Mateo, Henderson, and Ortiz for ability to me the dazzling play.   I would guess he’s closer to Westburg defensively, sure handed, solid arm, maybe better range.   Just guessing.

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

2-for-4 with a walk on the eve of an Orioles baseball free off day Monday.     Buckle up, Any Promotions Today thread.

I think they wait until the calendar turns until they promote him to Bowie.  It is going to be interesting to see what happens if he hits 350+ at AA for a couple of months.  Nothing would surprise me with this kid.  

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Have been for a bit?

Except now he's built like a Nose Tackle.

• Haha 1