2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Did you see the new Jaffe chat?

Someone asked a question about an 29 year old player, a six year vet, who is having a breakthrough season.

The player in question is of course DJ Stewart.

Should the Mets throw out all the previous data on Stewart?

Of course, he's the real deal man.

For the record I'm saying saying it's impossible that O'Hearn has figured something out.

I'm just not in favor of throwing out data.

It's absolutely possible, but he's gotten 288 PAs this year. They are putting him in situations to succeed.

Just now, dystopia said:

Mateo had one month of success. O'Hearn has had 5 months worth. Similarly, DJ Stewart has had less than half the PAs that O'Hearn has this year. 

He's had half a seasons worth of at bats.

I find it hilarious that you draw a line that says Mateo and Stewart are too small a sample size but O'Hearn has shown enough you can throw out everything else he'd done in his career.  What at bat made the difference?  I'm guessing #233.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's had half a seasons worth of at bats.

I find it hilarious that you draw a line that says Mateo and Stewart are too small a sample size but O'Hearn has shown enough you can throw out everything else he'd done in his career.  What at bat made the difference?  I'm guessing #233.

What at bat made it clear Jose Bautista was not the same hitter with the Blue Jays that he was with the Pirates?

11 minutes ago, dystopia said:

What at bat made it clear Jose Bautista was not the same hitter with the Blue Jays that he was with the Pirates?

He put up an OPS+ in the 90's for three seasons with the Pirates.  He didn't really start improving with the Jays until his third season.  He also had over 400 at bats in year two with the Jays.

So maybe at bat 700 or so?

Edited by Can_of_corn

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

He put up an OPS+ in the 90's for three seasons with the Pirates.  He didn't really start improving with the Jays until his third season.  He also had over 400 at bats in year two with the Jays.

So which at bat was it with the Jays? I'm gonna say #569.

O'Hearn has respectable career splits vs LHP at .250/.700, albeit not as good as this year's .300/.800. The big difference is the extreme length the O's have gone to to protect him vs LHP, which is enabled by their unique roster construction (ironically he is slugging .700 in his 20 AB vs LHP!). I don't know that he will sustain .300 but it isn't some unheard of breakout. It's also not like he had some crazy hot streak, he has been pretty consistent all year. That being said, trading O'Hearn might be a sneaky smart move to get something for him and open opportunities for Kjerstad.

2 minutes ago, dystopia said:

So which at bat was it with the Jays? I'm gonna say #569.

Sure.

So a LOT more than we've seen from O'Hearn.

Not sure why you are talking this up, it doesn't support your point.

If O'Hearn is still doing this at the All Star break next season that means a lot more than him doing it now.

Sure.

So a LOT more than we've seen from O'Hearn.

Not sure why you are talking this up, it doesn't support your point.

If O'Hearn is still doing this at the All Star break next season that means a lot more than him doing it now.

You'll just keep moving the goalposts.