Colton Cowser 2023

DirtyBird

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I guess things have changed some.  

Yea..he couldn’t keep striking out at that level and struggling to show power and it carry over.

He sure has had a lot of huge swings in his minor league career.

The stat I showed about his K rate dropping and his BB rate increasing are really great to see.

Edited by Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So, these guys are the only ones who could do that?  The guys in the minors are mental midgets? No one else is capable of blending in?

Just doesn’t make sense.

I didn’t say that.  I said that is a very important data point that goes into all their decisions.  It’s also something that isn’t static and that the guys in the minors are continuing to work and train on.  

Also explains how a guy who goes I drafted and unrecruited can go on to have a fantastic career.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No, that’s how you read it. I’m not trading all of them..trading some of them.

But yes, my goal this year would have been to start the year with Westburg and Ortiz playing everyday and Stowers up with Cowser getting more time in AAA until around now

Look I like Westburg and Ortiz as well  but who do they take ABs from Mateo Urias and Frazier, again those guys are not the problem. Henderson is not going to lose ABs to those 2, not yet anyway and neither of those 2 plays  first base. Again depth is a good thing. Now should Westburg be up to spell Urias instead of Vavra yes, as far as Stowers unless there is an injury, if Cowser keeps going off at AAA then He is probably a month or 6 weeks away from getting replaced by Cowser. He needs to get going

31 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

In your last 2 posts you have traded your entire starting outfield and 3 quarters of your infield. What is this Miami Marlins perpetual rebuild. In the meantime the Os are one Mckenna drop away from being 25-12 over .667 almost 25% through. Short answer Elias is in good spot with all this depth not a bad spot. Im not looking for Elias to start fixing things that arent broke 

There's a line there though that eventually you have to cross.  I'm not a fan of "If it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality.  I mean if the MLB team has a good record do you never call anyone up from the minors?

You should always be looking to improve as much as you can.  I agree that there may be an adjustment period for some of these guys when they come up (I don't think it's as much a certainty as others do but that's another issue).  But as Can of Corn said, that's why a lot of us wanted some of these guys up last year, getting that learning curve started as quickly as possible.

I was 100% expecting some of these guys to be traded for pitching in the offseason, which didn't happen.  Maybe the offers weren't there, I don't know.  I'm interested to see if any national guys start picking some of this up.  I know locally Jason LaConfora has been pretty vocal about their delay in calling up some of these guys.  If Cowser, Westburg and Ortiz are still OPS-ing .900+ in July at Norfolk it will be interesting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Look I like Westburg and Ortiz as well  but who do they take ABs from Mateo Urias and Frazier, again those guys are not the problem. Henderson is not going to lose ABs to those 2, not yet anyway and neither of those 2 plays  first base. Again depth is a good thing. Now should Westburg be up to spell Urias instead of Vavra yes, as far as Stowers unless there is an injury, if Cowser keeps going off at AAA then He is probably a month or 6 weeks away from getting replaced by Cowser. He needs to get going

Right, that was the problem all along with the Frazier signing.  It really had little to do with him, at least to me, and more to do with what was behind him.  Elias was looking to raise the floor of 2B and in doing so lowered the ceiling.  But I think he knew that at the time.  

And Mateo does still bear watching.  The numbers are plummeting quickly.  

Edited by glenn__davis
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I didn’t say that.  I said that is a very important data point that goes into all their decisions.  It’s also something that isn’t static and that the guys in the minors are continuing to work and train on.  

Also explains how a guy who goes I drafted and unrecruited can go on to have a fantastic career.

Umm ok. Glad this got “cleared up”

• Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

I’m glad you only want to look at the short term, SSS view. I’m looking bigger picture.

8 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Right, that was the problem all along with the Frazier signing.  It really had little to do with him, at least to me, and more to do with what was behind him.  Elias was looking to raise the floor of 2B and in doing so lowered the ceiling.  But I think he knew that at the time.  

And Mateo does still bear watching.  The numbers are plummeting quickly.  

Yeah I think we need to pump the brakes on crowning Mateo. 

Relative to Cowser / Stowers... hey, if they're both getting opportunities may the best man win. Obviously that isn't going to happen in the near future without a trade or an injury.

It's a good problem to have, depth.

Edited by Hank Scorpio

22 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

I think at bats should start being taken from Mateo as he's back to being ice cold and I'm happy to move on from Frazier.  He's performed better than I expected,  but I'm fine to let Westburg or Ortiz take most of his playing time.   It's not going to happen,  but wish it would and think we be a better over all team for it. 

7 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

There's a line there though that eventually you have to cross.  I'm not a fan of "If it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality.  I mean if the MLB team has a good record do you never call anyone up from the minors?

You should always be looking to improve as much as you can.  I agree that there may be an adjustment period for some of these guys when they come up (I don't think it's as much a certainty as others do but that's another issue).  But as Can of Corn said, that's why a lot of us wanted some of these guys up last year, getting that learning curve started as quickly as possible.

I was 100% expecting some of these guys to be traded for pitching in the offseason, which didn't happen.  Maybe the offers weren't there, I don't know.  I'm interested to see if any national guys start picking some of this up.  I know locally Jason LaConfora has been pretty vocal about their delay in calling up some of these guys.  If Cowser, Westburg and Ortiz are still OPS-ing .900+ in July at Norfolk it will be interesting.

If it ain't broke don't fix it, dont call guys up no they have called guys up this year including Cano, Bauman, Vavra and Stowers and Ortiz among others. Cano seized his  opportunity he has overperformed. he gets more chances Thats upgrading with something that is better. Plugging Stowers in to take ABs from Santander or Westburg to time away from Urias Mateo And even Frazier is fixing some thats not broken

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m glad you only want to look at the short term, SSS view. I’m looking bigger picture.

What SSS Mateo and Urias have been doing this for the last couple of years, not to mention Hayes Mullins Santander and even Frazier longer than that

Edited by Safelykept

I am enjoying what Elias has created.   24-13 team.   A half dozen players knocking on the door at AAA.    Just beat the Rays 2 out of three.  2nd lowest payroll in baseball.   No long term commitments.   While the Yankees struggle.   The sun in shining.   

I read the complaints on the site and laugh.   Because the reality Elias has created is so much better than the complaints.   The major league team is doing great.  The drafting is amazing.   The player development pulls a Cano out of  nowhere.   The international  system is coming along.  

Some want to complain about the starting pitching but they just ripped off 6 good starts vs the Braves and Rays.    The last time I felt this good about the team was 2014, or maybe 1997, no probably 1983.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1