Heston Kjerstad 2023

Three Run Homer

I'm curious to see if they start Heston tomorrow. I don't envy the manager of the Tides, even if he is winning a whole lot of games. It's extremely challenging to fit all these great players in the lineup consistently and get them all the live game reps they need to continue to develop. Buck Britton has his work cut out for him and he's doing a good job.

6 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I'm curious to see if they start Heston tomorrow. I don't envy the manager of the Tides, even if he is winning a whole lot of games. It's extremely challenging to fit all these great players in the lineup consistently and get them all the live game reps they need to continue to develop. Buck Britton has his work cut out for him and he's doing a good job.

They’re not promoting him so that he can sit on the bench in AAA.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They’re not promoting him so that he can sit on the bench in AAA.  

Agreed.  HK is a priority play and makes it that much easier on Buck's decision making.  It's the personnel decisions over the next few months/year(s) that will be interesting (and what triggers the derailed threads).

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I was just reflecting on the fact that Kjerstad made it to AAA in less than one full year after he made his MiL debut (which was on 6/10/22).   Pretty great job by him making up for lost time, all while shaking off two years of rust, having to rebuild strength and get in game shape, etc.  I think we’d all have been pretty happy about this a year ago today.  

I think everyone would have been ecstatic about this a year ago today. At that point, given the time off, there was no reason to be reasonably sure he would ever reach the upper minors, let alone be a top-100 prospect at this point.

Honestly, if I was offered a guarantee that he was in this exact situation on draft day 2020 that he would be here three years after the draft, entering AAA as a top 100 prospect having fully proven himself in AA, I would have gladly taken it. Hell, look at what Austin Martin is up to now.

3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I think everyone would have been ecstatic about this a year ago today. At that point, given the time off, there was no reason to be reasonably sure he would ever reach the upper minors, let alone be a top-100 prospect at this point.

CBS just released an updated Top 25 prospect list and in it they mention that Kjerstad was a candidate for making that list. You are right that his performance has exceeded all possible expectations.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not currently living there but probably not?

They probably did better when they were the Mets AAA affiliate.

I'm not familiar with what the Norfolk Tides did in the 1980s when they were a feeder team for another franchise. All I'm remarking on is that these are the sorts of times that people involved with that organization will reminisce fondly about. Hope they're enjoying it.Andy Bernard The Office GIF - Andy Bernard The Office Ending - Discover &  Share GIFs

3 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

I'm not familiar with what the Norfolk Tides did in the 1980s when they were a feeder team for another franchise. All I'm remarking on is that these are the sorts of times that people involved with that organization will reminisce fondly about. Hope they're enjoying it.Andy Bernard The Office GIF - Andy Bernard The Office Ending - Discover &  Share GIFs

80's?

They've only been working with the Orioles since 2007.

I've been to Tides games when they were a Mets affiliate in the late 90's early 00's.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

80's?

They've only been working with the Orioles since 2007.

I've been to Tides games when they were a Mets affiliate in the late 90's early 00's.

I just mean that I'm sure the Tides had some good teams when they were funneling talent up to the Davey Johnson Mets in the 80s. Either way, their roster and run differential right now are special.