Heston Kjerstad 2023

Three Run Homer

1 minute ago, Alasdaire said:

I just mean that I'm sure the Tides had some good teams when they were funneling talent up to the Davey Johnson Mets in the 80s. Either way, their roster and run differential right now are special.

Oh.

I was just talking from a business standpoint.

I have no idea how good the team was when I went to games, it was just a thing to do.

I figure being an affiliate for a team in NY is going to beat out a team from Baltimore.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Oh.

I have no idea how good the team was when I went to games, it was just a thing to do.

I figure being an affiliate for a team in NY is going to beat out a team from Baltimore.

Do the Mets have more fans in Hampton Roads than the Orioles?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Norfolk isn't (wasn't) all that dependent on long term Hampton Roads residents.

And I have no idea.  Wasn't a conversation I had with many locals.

The business of minor league baseball is above my pay grade, but I thought the reshuffle that gave us Norfolk made a whole lot more sense than Ottawa/Rochester. The whole system has geographic coherency now, although losing Frederick was sad.

1 minute ago, Alasdaire said:

The business of minor league baseball is above my pay grade, but I thought the reshuffle that gave us Norfolk made a whole lot more sense than Ottawa/Rochester. The whole system has geographic coherency now, although losing Frederick was sad.

Sure.  Ottawa was a nightmare.

Norfolk is great for the O's.

11 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Oh.

Ye ol' sayer of nay!  ;)

I imagine Norfolk has a lot of transient military fans.  So "just a thing to do" vs. being a fan of the O's/Mets is probably very accurate.

1 minute ago, btdart20 said:

Ye ol' sayer of nay!  ;)

I imagine Norfolk has a lot of transient military fans.  So "just a thing to do" vs. being a fan of the O's/Mets is probably very accurate.

A female marine in my barracks got pulled onto the field one time for some athletic competition.  She had a great time.

12 hours ago, Alasdaire said:

I just mean that I'm sure the Tides had some good teams when they were funneling talent up to the Davey Johnson Mets in the 80s. Either way, their roster and run differential right now are special.

The Tidewater Tides won the International league in 82,83,&85. 

15 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Ye ol' sayer of nay!  ;)

There are definitely a lot of military in the area and at games.  You see a ton of Os gear there now.  Don’t see too much Mets stuff….besides the David Wright local love.  Tides have been a fixture in that area since the 60s.  I’ve been going to about a dozen games there the last few years and there is always a nice crowd that seems to know the players well.  

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

There are definitely a lot of military in the area and at games.  You see a ton of Os gear there now.  Don’t see too much Mets stuff….besides the David Wright local love.  Tides have been a fixture in that area since the 60s.  I’ve been going to about a dozen games there the last few years and there is always a nice crowd that seems to know the players well.  

You should break out the Mark Reynolds jersey

5 hours ago, emmett16 said:

I'm glad we have an official presence down there now. It's such a large area that the O's have as much of a claim to as anyone irrespective of that nominal team in DC. Hopefully the prospect pipeline is here to stay and Norfolk becomes a place to see budding talent on a yearly basis.

Glad to see him progressing nicely after his 2 year injury. I had accepted that he had his career taken from him by injury, but this year has been a rebirth say to speak. It's pretty hard to swallow the #2 overall pick being a bust by injury. That's an investment that you want to see some return on. They don't hand out #2 overall picks like candy on Halloween.