Kyle Bradish 2023

Frobby

27 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Detroit played pretty competitive ball as the season progressed. Torkleson improved. They have Colt Keith as a solid infield prospect who will be up next season. Not sure why the would give up a young controllable pitcher, for a package centered around a solid, but unspectacular infielder.

I thought Seattle would be a better fit because 1: they have obvious needs in areas where we can part with prospects and/or MLB talent, and 2: there is likely to be more consensus on Gilbert's value versus Skubal's.  Skubal has only finished 1 season fully healthy, (2021) and it was his worst year.  He missed half the year this year and was lights out.  If Detroit values him based on his performance for half the year this year then there's little chance we can make a deal.  If they value him as a 3-4 WAR #2-ish starter with some upside, he fits the profile of someone we could trade for without trading Holliday. Assuming we can come to a consensus on Skubal's projections going forward, I still think Westburg is a fit for them, because they could play Westburg either at 3rd or 2nd even if Keith moves up to the MLB squad.  The trade I proposed to Seattle probably wouldn't work for them, they'd probably want more prospects instead.  None of these pitchers are spectacular, so I don't think any of them should be netting spectacular prospects in the way Chris Sale did.

Edited by Hallas

2 hours ago, Hallas said:

Does the development of Bradish change anyone's mind about bringing in a top-shelf starter?  And possibly expending prospect capital for it?

It doesn’t necessarily change my mind, but it makes the “stand relatively pat” alternative a lot more viable than it would be otherwise.  Especially since Grayson is starting to look like the front-line starter we expected him to be, and Means is looking pretty much like he did in 2019-21, which couldn’t have been assumed.   

10 hours ago, baltfan said:

If Bradish and Grayson are TOR starters, all of the sudden the need for a TOR free agent seems to go out the window, especially given the uncertainty of the guys out there.  Yamamoto is the only guy that I would be interested in who is possible TOR, and I think he is going to go for big $$$--maybe $200mm

I'd take Snell as a free agent.

9 minutes ago, bluedog said:

I'd take Snell as a free agent.

Snell would be a good investment.   A proven veteran arm without too many miles.   Snell with Rodriguez,  Means, and Bradish would be a formidable rotation.

And if you get Snell via free agency, you don't have to trade prospects.  This would free up prospects that are pushing promotions to the big club but have no place to add them as trade pieces for depth in the lower levels and/or middle relief help.

• Upvote 1

To the extent everything is bloodless arbitrage, Skubal and Snell are at high value points right now, and Cease is down.

I do think Cease could be revisited - White Sox have a new GM's since the Holliday ask rumors.    It might be tough for Cease to make it to the next good White Sox team.

I believe Elias would value the brevity of term on Cease relative to what Snell will be able to command.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

To the extent everything is bloodless arbitrage, Skubal and Snell are at high value points right now, and Cease is down.

I do think Cease could be revisited - White Sox have a new GM's since the Holliday ask rumors.    It might be tough for Cease to make it to the next good White Sox team.

I believe Elias would value the brevity of term on Cease relative to what Snell will be able to command.

That's a good call. He has great stuff and I'm sure he'd like to out of there. A good buy low candidate, but the WSox aren't giving him away either.

Edited by Il BuonO

12 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Is there a way that Bradish could steal the ERA crown from Cole and Gray with less than a week to go in the season?

Bradish is at 2.86 after last night.  Gray is at 2.80, Cole is at 2.75.  

Cole goes tonight against a Jays team that's fighting for it's playoff life.  I'm not sure how many runs he'd have go give up to get behind Bradish, but it could be close.  

I'm assuming that if we clinch the division tonight or Friday night we're shutting down Bradish, he wouldn't start on Sunday against Boston, right?

Well, so much for that fantasy.  Cole pitched a complete game shutout, lowering his ERA to 2.63.   Hello, ERA title and Cy Young Award.  

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Cole deserves it. I just want to see Bradish get some votes. That would be a big achievement and something we haven't had in a long time

He definitely should get some votes.  Each voter picks a top 5.  I can’t imagine he’d get left off all 30 ballots.  He’s 3rd in rWAR for pitchers, 3rd in ERA, 3rd in WHIP.  Really, the only knock on him is that he hasn’t thrown many innings compared to some of the other pitchers.  But mostly, that’s because he got hit with a line drive in his season debut that shortened that outing and caused him to miss a couple of others.  He’s averaged more than 6 IP per start.