Jordan Westburg 2023

Just Regular

2 hours ago, Otter said:

It's impossible to know what Elias has planned for Westburg, but I do find it a bit interesting he's played a good amount of SS this year and especially the last three games.  Westburg has Ortiz and Mateo ahead of him (and who are better defenders than him) and Holliday behind him.  I don't think Westburg ever plays SS for the O's unless something crazy happens with those three guys.  So if Westburg was in the O's future plans, I would think he'd be playing and getting all his reps at 2B, 1B, and/or OF.  Since he's not, my guess is Elias is showcasing him at SS to increase his trade value.  The fact that Westburg still can't sniff a promotion with over a year of dominant offensive numbers, along with the terrible numbers of Frazier and Mateo, tells me Elias sees him as trade bait.

If it was as simple as that, then Ortiz would be playing more.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Otter said:

It's impossible to know what Elias has planned for Westburg, but I do find it a bit interesting he's played a good amount of SS this year and especially the last three games.  Westburg has Ortiz and Mateo ahead of him (and who are better defenders than him) and Holliday behind him.  I don't think Westburg ever plays SS for the O's unless something crazy happens with those three guys.  So if Westburg was in the O's future plans, I would think he'd be playing and getting all his reps at 2B, 1B, and/or OF.  Since he's not, my guess is Elias is showcasing him at SS to increase his trade value.  The fact that Westburg still can't sniff a promotion with over a year of dominant offensive numbers, along with the terrible numbers of Frazier and Mateo, tells me Elias sees him as trade bait.

I'd also point out that, with Ortiz in the bigs, I don't think there's any other players left at Norfolk who would be priorities to get time at short, so you might as well play him there. They haven't tried him at 1B at all for some reason, so that doesn't appear to be an option, and if the O's need an OF, Cowser would be the obvious choice before Westburg. I don't think you can read too much into how his PT is distributed at the other IF positions. 

8 hours ago, Pat Kelly said:

Westburg will be up by next week.  Plays 2B against LHP, 3B against RHP. Move Urias back to spot starting. Henderson plays more SS. Mateo to bench or traded. 

I'll have what you're smoking, and hope you're channeling your inner Marley.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, deward said:

I'd also point out that, with Ortiz in the bigs, I don't think there's any other players left at Norfolk who would be priorities to get time at short, so you might as well play him there. They haven't tried him at 1B at all for some reason, so that doesn't appear to be an option, and if the O's need an OF, Cowser would be the obvious choice before Westburg. I don't think you can read too much into how his PT is distributed at the other IF positions. 

The minors is all about developing your legit prospects, not winning or just to have someone play a position because there aren't other good options.  IMO, if they were really considering him to play 2B, 1B, or OF for the O's in the future, he'd be getting his reps there, and they'd find someone else to play SS.

2 hours ago, SpOkane said:

I was bored, so I used B-R season stats for Norfolk/Tidewater Tides.  As a AAA affiliate, here are the top 5 HR seasons:

5. (tie) 25- Bill McNulty 1973 Tidewater Tides

5 . (tie) 25-Ryan Mountcastle 2019 Norfolk Tides

4. 26-Pedro Alvarez 2017 Norfolk Tides

3. 28-Gary Rajsich (yes, that Gary Rajsich) 1983 Tidewater Tides. Gary also had 24 in 1981.

2. 29-Randy "Moose" Milligan 1988 Tidewater Tides

1. 31-Roberto Petagine 1997 Tidewater Tides

The top Hi-A HR season was in 1968 by Joe Lis w/ 32 jacks.

In 1949, The Class "B" Norfolk Tars were led in HRs w/ 16 by someone named Gus Triandos.

Wow, all the upvotes for you. You flipped through every BRef page back to '49? Good on you! 

Also, I am going to be honest, I had absolutely no idea that Gary Rajsich was a former major leaguer/minor league homerun leader. It make sense, but I guess I just never thought about it. Also, fun note about Gus Triandos, that's pretty interesting. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CharmCityHokie said:

Wow, all the upvotes for you. You flipped through every BRef page back to '49? Good on you! 

Also, I am going to be honest, I had absolutely no idea that Gary Rajsich was a former major leaguer/minor league homerun leader. It make sense, but I guess I just never thought about it. Also, fun note about Gus Triandos, that's pretty interesting. 

I figured I would go back as far as I could until the dog I was dogsitting was ready for his morning walk.  He slept in. Actually did MiLb 2022 until 2005, then switched to B-R. Got back to '44. Amazing how many years the leader was in single digits.

I remember when Rajsich was hired that he was a former pro, but I thought MiLB. He had some good drafts.

• Upvote 1