Which top-5 pick from the 2020 MLB draft will ultimately have the best career?

BohKnowsBmore

Which top-5 pick from the 2020 MLB draft will ultimately have the best career?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Best player from 2022 MLB draft top-5

• Spencer Torkelson
    • Heston Kjerstad
    • Max Meyer
    • Asa Lacy
    • Austin Martin

56 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

It might just be my ancient computer lagging, but that play from the defensive perspective in the video looked full "it's still early in ST, only need 1/2 effort"; from both the RF and CF as well as the relay to 3B. Not to take away from Kjerstad, well hit ball, but I can't imagine that being a triple in the regular season against starting MLBers.

OK, I admit I am a HK homer. CF got a perfect carom but it didn't look like he was flat out hustling to the ball. I can't see the throw either. HK was clearly busting it around 2B, maybe went into slide a little early. He is clearly not as lean as the highlight videos from draft time but that speed should be good enough for RF, assuming good routes and reaction time. I am somewhat relieved as I was afraid he had bulked up too much in an effort to showcase the bat.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cnmilton said:

I know he was drafted at 6, but day of the day aft I really wanted the Os to draft Emerson Hancock. I still think he has the potential to be the best draft pick in the top 10

Been discussed to death, but picking HK allowed us to get Mayo as well, who is more well regarded as a prospect currently than any of these guys (obviously Tork no longer has rookie eligibility) 

4 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Been discussed to death, but picking HK allowed us to get Mayo as well, who is more well regarded as a prospect currently than any of these guys (obviously Tork no longer has rookie eligibility) 

The O's picked the CBPA the year before and still got Gunnar.

• Confused 1

44 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I may be misremembering, or maybe it was due to the discussion ad nauseum regarding the pick at the time, but wasn't Austin Martin considered the CBPA at #2? Or was it Meyer?

Just poking through the top-10 guys MiLB stats, it certainly wasn't the greatest talent draft, but I guess that goes along with everything else in 2020. https://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?year_ID=2020&draft_round=1&draft_type=junreg&query_type=year_round

9 hours ago, CharmCityHokie said:

I may be misremembering, or maybe it was due to the discussion ad nauseum regarding the pick at the time, but wasn't Austin Martin considered the CBPA at #2? Or was it Meyer?

Just poking through the top-10 guys MiLB stats, it certainly wasn't the greatest talent draft, but I guess that goes along with everything else in 2020. https://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?year_ID=2020&draft_round=1&draft_type=junreg&query_type=year_round

I don't think there was a true CBPA.

I'll  agree that it looks like the top of that draft won't have any players that have a big impact.

I think it's between Meyer and Kjerstad.  And it seems like the voting results agrees with that.

Tork can still pull it out of the dung heap, but woof so far.  Tork is a warning shot for Kjerstad's K% issues.  Kjerstad's floor seems a little higher considering he can play the OF as well.  That's not an option for Torkelson.  I know ST stats are basically pointless, but it's a tale of two springs for these two.

Meyer's injury dings him.  I probably would have voted Meyer without that.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not sure I see the relevance.  It is nice to see a flexible approach though.  In 2019 they pick Adley + Gunner going ~$250k over slot on those first two picks.  This didn't leave them resources to roll the dice with a few significant (+$1m over slot deals later in the draft).

In 2020 Kjerstad + Westburg left them $2.5m under slot giving them a couple of chances to go $1m over slot and get a couple of tough sign HS kids to join the org - including Mayo. 

Too soon to tell, but seems like it has a decent chance of working out that they took the correct approach both years.

Edited by geschinger
  • Upvote 1

The good news is that it's pretty wide open.  Kjerstad, with his delayed start, can still make an impact compared to the rest.

I didn't see Torkelson having such a slow start to his career or Austin Martin being such a non-factor.  But the question posed says more about this group than it does about Kjerstad's possible turnaround. 

• Upvote 2

I picked Heston, but I can see Meyer being very good too. We’ll see. Torkelson looks lost right now.

I wanted Martin, but lost faith in the glove and position. I wanted Asa Lacy or Zac Veen just before the draft. Lacy has been bad, and Veen has been really good. I got to watch Veen and Dylan Crews play some for the Scorpions in HS, fun to watch them hit.

Hard to say what Lacy, or anyone else, would have done in the Orioles developmental program. I remember being a little surprised at Heston being the pick, but I had not seen him in 2020. I went back and watched the video, and I was very impressed. Good for him to be back on track!

Edited by Jammer7
Spelling