Are there any thoughts on Josh Lester?

oriolediehard

On 3/14/2023 at 7:09 AM, Sports Guy said:

You don’t need all of them and Kjerstad’s emergence could be a factor as well.

These are dime a dozen guys that fans be found if you shake a tree. No reason to be worried about losing any of them.

100% agreed. Though, the O'Hearn contract is head scratching considering how cheap this team is.  

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

The fact that we have a Lester/Cordero/Mazara/O'Hearn/Diaz/Vavra competition just highlights why you don't select O'Hearn off waivers and have to guarantee him $1.4 million even after DFAing him. 

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Elias values depth.

WC, depth isn't just a guy who can stand in a left handed batter's box.  Depth isn't just a body that you can trot out there in a pinch.

Look at Tony's post, subtract O'Hearn from the list and there's still plenty of guys that could do whatever O'Hearn does and do it better.  

52 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

WC, depth isn't just a guy who can stand in a left handed batter's box.  Depth isn't just a body that you can trot out there in a pinch.

Look at Tony's post, subtract O'Hearn from the list and there's still plenty of guys that could do whatever O'Hearn does and do it better.  

More importantly with the Orioles limited funds, cheaper. 

It's not that the $1.4 million is going to stop the Orioles from doing something most likely, but why? I don't want to drag this into a Frazier convo, but Elias acknowledges he has a budget to stay within but spend $9.4 million on Frazier and O'Hearn, yet neither would probably make this team if all things were equal with contracts/player control, etc. 

Just a waste of resources on my opinion. 

O'Hearn has had a nice spring and he very well may end up with some time with the Orioles this year. Heck, his EVs suggest he might have some success if they don't employ the shift, but he's a defensively limited left-handed 1B, corner outfield and the glut of those guys in camp on minor league deals says that's not a hard skill set to find.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

More importantly with the Orioles limited funds, cheaper. 

It's not that the $1.4 million is going to stop the Orioles from doing something most likely, but why? I don't want to drag this into a Frazier convo, but Elias acknowledges he has a budget to stay within but spend $9.4 million on Frazier and O'Hearn, yet neither would probably make this team if all things were equal with contracts/player control, etc. 

Just a waste of resources on my opinion. 

O'Hearn has had a nice spring and he very well may end up with some time with the Orioles this year. Heck, his EVs suggest he might have some success if they don't employ the shift, but he's a defensively limited left-handed 1B, corner outfield and the glut of those guys in camp on minor league deals says that's not a hard skill set to find.

Agreed on all points.  9.4 million could have been spent better and it's not hard to find a LH 1B COF type.  

I don't care about the 1.4 million spent on O'Hearn, that's not even a drop in the bucket even for a supposed cash-strapped team like ours.  I just don't really understand the decision making process when, as you noted, it's not hard to find these guys on minor league deals.

Now I will say that I wonder if they think they can coax a better performance out of O'Hearn.  As you pointed out, his EV's are good and IIRC they have been throughout his career.  So if there's something they think they can tap into to make him a better hitter, fine.  

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Agreed on all points.  9.4 million could have been spent better and it's not hard to find a LH 1B COF type.  

I don't care about the 1.4 million spent on O'Hearn, that's not even a drop in the bucket even for a supposed cash-strapped team like ours.  I just don't really understand the decision making process when, as you noted, it's not hard to find these guys on minor league deals.

Now I will say that I wonder if they think they can coax a better performance out of O'Hearn.  As you pointed out, his EV's are good and IIRC they have been throughout his career.  So if there's something they think they can tap into to make him a better hitter, fine.  

I do think O'Hearn may have the most upside with the bat of the guys in the comp, but he's defensively limited. Both Vavra and Lester are more versatile with the ability to play 2B, 3B and corner outfield as well as 1B (Vavra doesn't play 1B, but probably could in a pinch).

If they think Santander can back up 1B effectively, they really have no need for a 1B type anyways. Now it's just a matter or versatility and what kind of bat you wanna bring off the bench.  

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I do think O'Hearn may have the most upside with the bat of the guys in the comp, but he's defensively limited. Both Vavra and Lester are more versatile with the ability to play 2B, 3B and corner outfield as well as 1B (Vavra doesn't play 1B, but probably could in a pinch).

If they think Santander can back up 1B effectively, they really have no need for a 1B type anyways. Now it's just a matter or versatility and what kind of bat you wanna bring off the bench.  

Vavra has been working at 1B a lot this spring.

None of them should make the team, honestly. Whoever remains in the org will be AAA depth. 

26 man roster:
5 starters (Gibson, Irvin, Kremer, Bradish, Rodriguez)
8 relievers (Voth, Wells, Bautista, Baker, Akin, Givens, Perez, ???)
9 lineup (Mullins, Rutschman, Santander, Mountcastle, Hays, Henderson, Mateo, Urias/Frazier, Stowers)
4 bench (McKenna, McCann, Urias/Frazier, Vavra)

• Upvote 1

Despite having a lighter resume than Diaz, O’Hearn, and Cordero, Lester continues to have the consistently best AB’s even as we get into the dog days of spring.  Nice swing.  Doesn’t go out of the zone much, and seems to be able to adjust to different types of pitches.  Plus he looks to be decent at first and passable at 3B.   None of these guys are making the team but Lester may turn out to be the best bench piece/fill-in of the four. 

Cordero is a tease.  He’ll smoke a few but he’s got a lot of weaknesses at the plate, he’s shaky at first, and average, at best, in the outfield.

Diaz has no versatility but he’s slick at 1B and nice depth at Norfolk.

O’Hearn is ok but Lester has looked better.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1